HELLFIRE 20, SUN, SALT & ROCKETS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First rocket photo published for Hellfire 20. Everything is set up and the rockets started flying today. Here's a great shot of someone's rocket on a metal storm or skidmark motor.
IMG_8990.jpg

stealth 6 was right, put this launch on your bucket list! I did a stint as LCO this morning and it was a breeze with their new launch system. Sharon flew 8 rockets and I did 6, and that was after my range duty. It is intense, salt is moist and sticks to everything. The sun is bright and I was constantly swapping out one pair of prescription sunglasses for my full wrap Oakleys, the one set just didn't cut it but the Oakleys did. No sunburn, but the only thing I exposed was my fingertips.
I'm gonna say it now, because by Sunday I might be too fried, but this is an awesome launch. You can see rockets laying in the salt quite a ways away.

Wayne and Sharon, it's been a treat getting to know you. One of the great things about rocket launches is making new friends. I guess I'm going to have to plan a trip to Arizona. And LDRS is close enough to plan for next summer.

Joe

Sigh.
I'm SOOOOOOO missing being there this year.
I'll just post this pic of morning on the salt flats from a past year.

P1000542.jpg

Hope ya'll are having a great time out there,
s6

Today was a great day on the salt. It started with a 3" Wildman Darkstar drag race. Ken got off the pad first, but he fessed up to using a nonstandard lighter. I never did hear who went highest, but it sounded like all three, Ken, Wayne and Sharon, might have been within 20 feet of each other. If Wildman offers the 3" Darkstar on Black Friday, I'll join the drag race next year. We need to make that a regular part of Hellfire.

We also had some great M launches and an N 10,000 CATO. That was impressive. The local CBS affiliate taped the CATO and said she wants to come back next year to watch, not work. I suggested that she should build and fly a rocket.

I think my favorite launch of the day was an Argent on a fast burning, high impulse H. I thought it would tear the fins off the Estes PS2 rocket, but it survived.

I lost track of the number of successful certification flights. I love the tradition of certifying at Hellfire. That's where I did both my level 1 and 2. Someday, I'll do my 3 at Hellfire as well.

Now that my car has most of the salt washed off it, I'm looking forward to next year.

Joe

Just got home a while ago, after ten hours of driving. Yesterday was the perfect finish to this great launch. I would like to thank all the members of UROC for making this a memorable launch. We flew 26 of the 31 rockets that we took, and brought back about 10 lbs of salt. That was after washing off about 100 lbs. at the car wash yesterday. Special thanks to Ken and Heather Park, Joe Hepworth and Ken Adams for making us feel right at home. We met a bunch of great rocketeers, flew a bunch of rockets and made a bunch of great memories.
I have a lot of clean up to do, but will try to post up a launch report in the next day or so.
010.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Stealth6, we missed you out on the salt this year. I'm looking forward to another drag race with Wayne and Sharon next year. Maybe we can all use hopped up ignitors :p
It was a super fun event. I didn't really take any pictures this year but I had an absolute riot launching rockets. My research loads went off perfectly, I didn't break any windshields, got to successfully test a prototype gps transmitter for for Marshall radio telemetry https://www.marshallradio.com/north-american-falconry-products/gps-systems , only crashed one rocket and it will be a simple fix with the fin can being intact.
-Ken

Here's a quick vid of someone's Nike Smoke I took out on the salt. Nice launch.

[video=youtube;GfE3N8njVsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfE3N8njVsI[/video]

Hah ! Well done. I look at KSL everyday for motorhome ads .

Did you fly the SuperJart ? What motor?

Kenny

I flew it on a K510

Sunny and bright there, being an Arizona desert rat I keep pretty covered up. Here I am listening to my redundant electronics.

022.jpg

Click below for video

I flew it on a K510

Sunny and bright there, being an Arizona desert rat I keep pretty covered up. Here I am listening to my redundant electronics.

022.jpg

Click below for video

Nice flight and video !

Kenny

Latest posts

Back