G12 Density

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know the average cubed density of g12 fiberglass? It's not in the material database of my RockSim. For the sanity of my brain, I've been converting my database to g/cm3 across the board and updating the base explicit values where possible. Not to mention they would have the same data input 5 different ways. There were 6 different entries for nylon cloth that were all within a 100th of a g of each other. 5 or 6 different lite ply entries the same way. Now at least my brain can comprehend what's in this database. G12 is flat out not listed.

As math savvy as I am, I've never tried calculating mass of a hollow cylinder before. But even if it's off a bit, so long as it can provide the needed weight to sim properly, I'm good.

I will say that when I started researching the mass of many of the materials, I found a disturbingly large number of them to be inaccurate.

G10 is about 1.8 (g/cm3). I would expect G12 to be in that range because of its similarity, but the precise value may vary according to method of manufacturing.

Greg

As math savvy as I am, I've never tried calculating mass of a hollow cylinder before

Nothing to it - it's just the volume of a cylinder of the outside diameter minus the volume of a cylinder of the inside diameter. Divide the mass by the volume to get density.

I'm showing G10 to be @ 2.1g/cm3. So G12 should be 4.1g/cm3?

I think he was goofing on the 10 vs 12--2 bigger.

Tube math above seems right to me.

Later!

--Coop

Back