NXRS L3 Cert - The Great Cornholio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
Build thread can be found here

5in Jart, with extended body - named 30 mins before launch "The Great Cornholio"

Adept22 with Stratologger

BRB900 for tracking

Temp as 108degrees, 1pm, argghhh

[video=youtube;wLHs2XES1nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLHs2XES1nk[/video]

I don't have any launch pictures as yet, but I have been informed by a few people that the flame on that M1350 was twice as long as the rocket!!!
You can see on the video that the width of the flame appears to be 10-12"... awesome

The only real hickups in the prep and launch process were
1- Managing to epoxy the M1350 to the inside of the mortar can that it was secured into whilst curing,
2- Slashing my forearm on the launch tower when we were erecting the rocket, this just provided a blood sacrifice and got smeared on the nosecone.

Next in this rocket will be a CTi M840!!

Last edited:
Nice job and congrats! My guess is it was the blood that sealed the deal for you.

That was a nice flight - great onboard video!
Nice that it landed near a road in that heat.

Congrats on your L3!

Thank you... Thank you.... I just think people should be a little worried that I have access to these motors now....

Bonus points for anyone who knows the significance of the donut!

oh and thanks Erik for the photo's I stole!!

Great flight. Congrats on your certification. I've heard that motor is one bad flame throwing hombre. Good luck in the future.

Congratulations. I'm suprised that they let you guys launch any rockets with the fire band in Oregon? You lucky dogs.

hahahahahahahahahahhahah,,,
When I read the title of the thread I spit soda on my keyboard..........

A great big congrats on the level 3 cert,, I just got mine as well...

All the best of luck.........

Teddy

I got some of the pics passed on to me today

Thank you to one of my TAP's Pete Ekstrom for these. OK, so the flame was only as long as the rocket.

In the 5th picture, you can clearly see me applying TP to the BungHole.

_3002414_resize.JPG

_3002417_resize.JPG

_3002429_resize.jpg

_3002430_resize.jpg

_3002439_resize.JPG

_3002442_resize.jpg

Last edited:
and some more...

If you look closely at the first launch picture, you can clearly see the donut down by the left fin.

In the next picture, you can see that the donut hit the fin and as nicely sliced!

We found parts of the donut after the flight, and each had a nibble. In hindsight, that was probably NOT the best of ideas, but at least we got our minerals.

I had hoped to have seen that Ultra Iris inflate and float gently down, but, my eyes just about picked it out a mile away.

----

Mucho thanks to Pete Ekstrom for the photos, TAP work, and generally great sense of humour.

_3002457_resize.JPG

_3002458_resize.JPG

_3002466_resize.JPG

_3002475_resize.jpg

_3002477_resize.JPG

Last edited:
and some data....

from this angle, the GPS plot spells out L with the green and 3 with the plot and shadow!!

The Stratologger data shows that it fired at Ap+1, after a charge from the Adept had already thrown out the drogue. Also it shows Main at 500 with the Adept already having put the chute out at 600.

The weird thing is that the Stratologger charge for the Main chute was found unfired after the recovery. When I got back, I removed and tested the match. It showed continuity fine, but wouldn't fire even if shorted across a fresh 9V battery! Can't help with a bad match!

Recovery chirps from the altimeters were 12,515ft from the Adept, 11,865ft from the Stratologger, and 12,181ft from the GPS data.
The GPS lost lock on boost, which isn't that unusual, but the first lock point appears to be after apogee, so I think the final altitude was around 12,250 to 12,500ft.

Google Earth.jpg

strat data.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, nice flight, and congratulations! I know that heat was brutal :hot:, NXRS15 was my first trip to Brothers in 12 years, and from the moment I arrived on Friday morning, I did not go anywhere without water in my hand. Also, a big "thank you" to you for making me feel welcome; yourself, Joe, Winston, and many others were extremely helpful and supportive while I made my L1 attempts. OregonRocketry really showed me that this is a great club to belong to!

It was a blast watching so many flights out there (some successful, some not - even the ballistic crayon was impressive in it's own right!), looking forward to seeing you and the other OROC members next time. Maybe if I can get my L1 cert, I'll be enlightened as to the purpose of the donut :y:

Cheers!

I was successful with my L3 cert the same weekend... the secret of the donut tradition was not bestowed upon my flights.

Kelsey, your flights were some of the most impressive "now you see it, now you don't" flights that I have ever seem. Congrats on all of them, especially the L3. Doing L3 on a min diameter took balls. Kudos

Great to see you OregonBAR. We do need to get that L1 flight done for you. May I recommend an Estes Nike Smoke on an H410VM!!!! but NOT at Brothers.

I have absolutely no idea what the donut tradition is, or where it started. I had seen Pete E in Rockets and Extreme Rocketry magazines, with Team NUMB. It seems that Team NUMB have launched more than a few rockets with a donut on the nose.

Gonna put a thread up about that and see if we can get more info.

As well as the donut, my rocket got some locally brewed IPA beer over it as it was prepped, then I slashed my arm on the launch rail when we were erecting it, and that got smeared on the nosecone, and then a final kiss before launch.
One of the above must have worked. :)

----
Edit
I had actually forgotten to being any donuts to the launch, which was mostly a good thing as I arrived 2 days early. As luck would have it, one of the guys who camped next to me offered me a ring donut the day before the launch. I accepted and stuck it straight in the fridge. When asked why I hadn't eaten it, I explained my plan.

Last edited:
Back