LDRS photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizWolf

Reaction score
Here's my shots from thursday and friday.

I highly recommend clicking "show all" and scrolling through that way.

https://davidmccann.zenfolio.com/p595874477

This page shows square thumbnails, actual photos are much larger.

You may order 5x7, 8x10 prints, or a digital download which most people seem to prefer. Any questions or other desires feel free to PM or email me and we'll figure something outs. Thanks for looking. Hope to get more monday.

WOW, lots of fantastic pictures!

I really hope some on-board video of the staged rockets were made and are available to watch, especially the 3-Stage.

David, great shots! The launch sequence of Bill Good's AGM-78 Standard Arm on Friday is fantastic; he and his dad will be pleased.

WOW! Lots of pics. Thanks!!!
Who flew the "Blimb/Zeppelin? I like that.

Must be popular...link just spins. Are all of them on your Flickr stream?

Finally loaded...great photos!

Last edited:
Teddy...

I was sitting at the tent when I heard a 4 stage rocket be announced. I heard about 10 people simultaneously say "Who the **** does a 4 stage rocket.... this is gonna fail."

We were all amazed when it actually worked. :)

Yeah,,
That was Fred ,, Matt......
He is a super nice man,,,
And as far as I'm concerned,, he is truly the staging king....
He stages at our local field quite often...
He likes Warp 9 propellant for the lower stage ...
He just pops it off the pad and it stages really low,, right in front of you....
Ridiculously cool......
Each of his stages dual deploys as well.....
I'm not sure,, but I think he uses Raven's....

I'm just starting airstarting now...
Twice already,, I disagreed with him on my flight...
I did what he told me too..
He was right,, if I had done what I wanted I would have had a problem.....

Teddy

Wow Dave,,,
You've got to be kiddin...
You got some insane shots...

I just bought some of my cert flight...
You got some smokin shots ( get it,,, smokin",, lol.. aw ferget it... ) of "SteamPunk" all the way till it vanished...lol...
Thank you very much man,,

The sequence you got of Fred's 4 stage is just insane,,
you got every stage separating,, then a few more shots,, then the ignition of the next stage...
I have never seen shots that great of staging,, and you got em of ALL the stages ...
I know that was a lot of work Dave...
You were at the flight line nonstop...
Thank you very much man...
Excellent,, excellent shots David.......

Teddy

Loving the pics!! I've been waiting for a vid of this flight since I knew it was happening.

...if anyone has links to any videos please post!!!

Looks like it was a great launch.

David, great shots! The launch sequence of Bill Good's AGM-78 Standard Arm on Friday is fantastic; he and his dad will be pleased.

Tell them to get ahold of me and we'll work something out on getting them the whole sequence. I'd love to offer entire flights as a bundle but the software isn't setup for that.

The sequence you got of Fred's 4 stage is just insane,,
you got every stage separating,, then a few more shots,, then the ignition of the next stage...
I have never seen shots that great of staging,, and you got em of ALL the stages ...
I know that was a lot of work Dave...
You were at the flight line nonstop...
Thank you very much man...
Excellent,, excellent shots David.......

Teddy

Thanks Teddy. Congrats on the flight man.

If anyone has a contact for Fred, get him this link and he's free to download them all. That flight was fun to watch.
https://flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157654750855688

Well nevermind, I don't need a video, I just have to thumb thru your awesome pics! Great job man. I'm finally getting a chance to look thru all of your photos, they are killer.

Dave,

I'm impressed you were able to get all 4 stages of my flight.

I had a HD KeyCam taped to the side of the upper stage, unfortunately I fumbled turn on and didn't get any vid. Oh well, next time, which should be Red Glare or MidWest Power (maybe both). I'll try a bigger motor load.

The first stage didn't deploy because the stage didn't go high enough to arm the Stratologger. No damage as it just took a core sample of the freshly tilled soil. Didn't have this problem in 3-stage config. I eject the stage at motor (H669N) burnout which is about 50 feet off the ground. The stage is so draggy it doesn't go much higher. Think I can solve this issue by keeping the stages together for another quarter second or use a bigger motor (H999N).

...Fred

Great stuff Fred
icon14.png

If I understand your setup correctly you had an altimeter in every stage?

Thanks Dave, I didn't notice the link you made for me until Teddy told me. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you at the field. I was looking for you. Saw you once, but you were talking to someone and I was busy. Figured I get a chance later. But then 5 days turned into 2.

...Fred

Leo,

Stage 1 had a Stratologger for apogee deployment, since Warp Nine motors do not have ejection charges (and if they did would be way too long for this one).

Stage 2 had a Raven for separation, stage ignition, and apogee deployment.

Stage 3 had a Raven for separation, stage ignition, and apogee and main deployments (via cable cutter).

Stage 4 had two Ravens for separation, stage ignition, and redundant apogee and main deployments. In addition the altimeters were wired so that both had to agree it was safe to ignite the stage motor.

Ravens on stages 2, 3 & 4 were configured with criteria (so high within a set time and stage count) to inhibit stage ignition should a previous stage fail to ignite or experience other anomaly

Stages 2 & 3 were wired with a safety switch which disconnected and shunted the motor igniter during final on-pad prep. These switches were kept in the safe position until all electronics were powered on and in awaiting launch to guard against a power up glitch. At that time the switches were thrown to connect and unshunt the igniters. The arrangement of the Ravens in the top stage performed this safety function so a switch was not required.

All stages were shear pinned together with a single nylon 4-40 screw so they would not drag separate, that's why separation charges were required.

...Fred

Thanks Dave, I didn't notice the link you made for me until Teddy told me. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you at the field. I was looking for you. Saw you once, but you were talking to someone and I was busy. Figured I get a chance later. But then 5 days turned into 2.

...Fred

No worries, Busy times on the field. Losing three days of flying stunk.

The link is downloadable, grab them all. Pretty sure there's a link in the gallery header to do that.

Amazing flight. I think you had another 2 or 3 stage I got some of... Missed the last one in the sun.

Leo,

Stage 1 had a Stratologger for apogee deployment, since Warp Nine motors do not have ejection charges (and if they did would be way too long for this one).

Stage 3 had a Raven for separation, stage ignition, and apogee and main deployments (via cable cutter).

Stage 4 had two Ravens for separation, stage ignition, and redundant apogee and main deployments. In addition the altimeters were wired so that both had to agree it was safe to ignite the stage motor.

Ravens on stages 2, 3 & 4 were configured with criteria (so high within a set time and stage count) to inhibit stage ignition should a previous stage fail to ignite or experience other anomaly

Stages 2 & 3 were wired with a safety switch which disconnected and shunted the motor igniter during final on-pad prep. These switches were kept in the safe position until all electronics were powered on and in awaiting launch to guard against a power up glitch. At that time the switches were thrown to connect and unshunt the igniters. The arrangement of the Ravens in the top stage performed this safety function so a switch was not required.

All stages were shear pinned together with a single nylon 4-40 screw so they would not drag separate, that's why separation charges were required.

...Fred

Nice! Well done!

Leo,

...Fred

Now you guy's see why I don't doubt or argue with Fred.........
I do however tease him a lot......
Hey,,,
We all have to get our entertainment somehow......lol.....

And plus,,,
He bought me my first beer after the level 3 cert.....lol...

Hey,, come to think of it,, I wish you were there Dave.....lol..

Teddy

Back