"Bridges at Toko Ri" PML Bullpuppy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, great progress Marc! Looking fantastic!

I just finished doing epoxy fillets for my Bullpuppy last night. I haven't done this before and was a bit leery (especially because I was using 6-minute epoxy since I didn't have 30min), but they came out great. Hope you don't mind if I share my fillets. :)

Also I did a prelim weigh-in with the kit parts and a motor case and mine will be in the 40+ oz. range with a motor. I wonder how PML came up with the 32oz. figure. Also now I'm thinking I'll paint mine in a shiny chrome finish...only trick is finding the right clear/protective coat. I have a great chrome paint, but finger prints show up on it like mad.

hey Ken, your fillets look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

I've been so busy I havent posted my progress, so here goes...

BUILD DAYS 9 - 12

Sorry about the delay but here is my progress so far:

1. I sawed off the nose cone's original "plug" because Rocsim says I have to add 2 oz of nose weight. So I sawed it off, added some lead shot/epoxy slurry (using 5-min Devcon). Then I filled the nose cone with urethane, 2-part foam. I then added a wood bulkhead and epoxied it in very tightly (I roughed up the inside with 80-grit). To that I added a screw eye with a 1/4 hole and I epoxied the nut to it. Then epoxied the whole thing into the nose with 15-min epoxy. Came out great.

2. I epoxied the launch lug to the body

3. I filled all the imperfection in the rocket and gave it all a good wash then an alcohol wipe-down. I then shot some Rust-oleum grey enamel primer onto the whole thing.

4. 2 days later I re-sanded the nose with 600-grit then shot it with white enamel rust-oleum and let it cure. I did the same to the body and then shot it with Testor's Modelmaster "Dark Sea Blue" enamel in 2 coats and let that dry.

last15x.jpg

I sawed off the original "plug" part off the nosecone so I could add weight. I removed just the very end part (about 3/8 inch).

last16x.jpg

After I removed the nosecone waist I sanded the edge down until quite smooth (with 400-grit dry). This is prior to sanding.

last10.jpg

I added 2 oz of lead shot and 5-min epoxy in a slurry mix and dropped it into the end of the nosecone, tapping it on the table to remove air bubbles.

last17x.jpg

Once the lead shot slurry was cured it was time to fill the nose cone with 2-part urethane foam. I added 4 drops of water to the foam to reduce weight and density. I used PML 2-part expanding foam

last13.jpg

I allowed the 2 part foam to only go up to a line I had measured and marked with a pencil where the wood bulkhead would go.

last12.jpg

The completed nosecone with a much better parachute attachment method and proper weight. Yes, this will be a heavy rocket.

last14x.jpg

Next up I epoxied the launch lug into position after marking a straight pencil line using an L-shaped piece of aluminum molding.

last11.jpg

I shot the body assembly with grey Rustoleum enamel primer and sanded it, then filled the fin-can mating gap again. Time to sand then re-shoot with primer

last7.jpg

The fillets are almost complete. Note that the imperfections you see are not raised. So I'll sand them again a bit, wipe it all down and then shoot it with another primer coat

last5.jpg

Meanwhile let's fill the nose cone imperfections and seams with green Squadron putty. Then wet-sand with 400-grit and shoot it with Rustoleum primer

last4.jpg

The completed nosecone, all primered, filled and shot with final color: white Rustoleum enamel. This will get a wet-sand with 1000-grit and then a clear coat with Rustoleum gloss clear.

last3.jpg
last2.jpg

For the final design I decided on a checkerboard pattern on the tail and just below the nosecone. I hand-cut masking tape squares (a REAL pain) and applied them each by hand. That alone took about 2 hours. The rocket is sanded and alcohol-wiped and ready for its final color coat. Note I already shot the fins and tail cone in Rustoleum white. The final color will be a 2-tone. The blue you see is just blue masking tape. I used blue and natural color masking tape. I also painted the small fins white.

last1.jpg

I created my own decal design using Adobe Illustrator (Im an experienced graphics designer, though anybody can do it). I then sent the design to Tom Prestia at Tango Papa Decals (https://www.tangopapadecals.com/) where he printed them for me (I can't do white obviously).

My next post will be the final, painted rocket. I have a motor mount and motors on order. I am planning on using this rocket for my level 1 cert at Lucerne Dry Lake here in Southern California. I need to join ROC, of course.

Last edited:
Wow, that's one heckuva job on the masking and decals...I'm speechless. :eyepop: You're sure going all out on the L1 attempt!

I definitely appreciate great paint and also suffer through the pains of the hard work required for them, but all that work will definitely show in the end on your project. Kudos and keep up the great work! :clap:

Wow, that's one heckuva job on the masking and decals...I'm speechless. :eyepop: You're sure going all out on the L1 attempt!

I definitely appreciate great paint and also suffer through the pains of the hard work required for them, but all that work will definitely show in the end on your project. Kudos and keep up the great work! :clap:

thanks. The final design looks good. I'll be posting it tonight. Hope it was worth the wait. :)

BUILD DAY 15 - IT'S COMPLETE!

The PML Bullpuppy is complete. See what you think.

The final colors were Testor's ModelMaster Dark Sea Blue enamel, and Rustoleum white enamel. The rest are my decals. The checkerboard pattern is hand masked with good ol' 3M masking tape.

I'd love to get your feedback for things you'd do different, what you would improve, or how you think it will fly :) My plan is to launch this on the second saturday of August at Lucerne Dry Lake as part of the ROC launch. Wish me luck :)

final6.jpg

final2.jpg

final7.jpg

final8.jpg

That is so awesome! Super job all the way around but a launch lug though? Your killing me.

Fantastic finish job - you have mad skills.
It will almost be a shame to fly it and let it get dinged up.

I know! But what's a better way? Teach me...

I think he means Rail Buttons/Guides.
I use them 90% of the time, and they even come in mini/micro varieties so now most of my LPR stuff flies from a Rail too.

I think he means Rail Buttons/Guides.
I use them 90% of the time, and they even come in mini/micro varieties so now most of my LPR stuff flies from a Rail too.

wouldnt they get in the way of the piston? That was my hesitation. But I've never used rail buttons.

Giant Leap sells Acme conformal rail guides can be epoxied to the outside of the airframe, PML has their Linear Rail guides which also can be epoxied to the outer skin only.

Last edited:
Beautiful work !

... Giant leap Conforming rail buttons...ouch, now you tell him :).

That's a beautiful rocket. The checkerboard fins look fantastic. Is the checkerboard near the nosecone painted?

Holy moly that looks pretty. I thought the concept seemed cool early in the thread, but man did you over-deliver on results.

AWESOME JOB!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I'll have to say it's the best looking Bullpup/BullPuppy I've seen. :) Now I'm afraid to show mine when it's done. lol

I did use rail buttons though (actually did it this morning); however I put them on flush - one on the centering ring and the other about where I would fill to with dog barf (or just enough room to possibly use the piston upside-down). I chose rail buttons since I've had what appeared to be rod whip a couple of times on some F flights and this rocket should take more than F. Still, I think the brass lugs should be fine for the flights you're considering, but that's just my opinion and I'd guess PML's since they included the lugs.

Lugs are a pain in the butt and can lead to rod whip and goofy flights. If that's not enough, they force me to switch the pad back to a rail after some smart alec rod flyer get's done with their flight. If you wanted to go with buttons and keep the piston, you can always do the Acme rail guides or glue a ply stand-off to the side of your body tube and screw the buttons into them. For military rockets, this certainly looks the part and they are easily switched out when the get all buggered up. Just a suggestion. Your build is crazy sexy as it is though. Kinda make me want one.

A huge thanks for all the kind words. And now I know about those conforming rail guides. Next one. Now I have to order a bigger chute because the rocket is heavy. Will weigh it when I get my motor and casing. Then get a bigger chute. Have to lie low for a bit before my wife wonders why I'm spending so much money on a rocket.

to answer, the checkerboard patterns on the fin and on top are all painted. I cut out squares using a metal ruler and a very sharp exactly knife by putting the masking tape strips on a piece of clean plate glass. Then I pulled it off and placed it with tweezers. Man what a pain.

i know it's totally a ficticiious rocket, but what the heck. Now let's see how it flies.

thanks again guys. I appreciTe all the suggestions too.

Marc

Back