LDRS 2016 location

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samsulajojo

Reaction score
I wast able to make it to the banquet Saturday did they announce the location for next year ldrs just curious.

Bryce, I've been curious - perhaps you can answer this question. For a national event like LDRS at ROC, I assume that California restrictions on motor manufacturers stand, and that the CSFM doesn't have a provision to allow a waiver of sorts, allowing something like Loki products for the event. True?

Woo Hoo, an LDRS within driving distance! Will be going! Are the dates for it listed yet?

Last edited:
Bryce, I've been curious - perhaps you can answer this question. For a national event like LDRS at ROC, I assume that California restrictions on motor manufacturers stand, and that the CSFM doesn't have a provision to allow a waiver of sorts, allowing something like Loki products for the event. True?

Correct. Now that doesn't mean we will no try to get an exemption.

1) a higher waiver
2) Non CSFM approved motors
3) Ex motors

All of the above were NOT part of our bid proposal. We just can't promise it. We are pursuing each actively in hopes to have them available for LDRS. But we don't want people to think that it is a done deal.

Thanks,

Bryce Chanes
ROC VP

Woo Hoo, an LDRS within driving distance! Will be going! Are the dates for it listed yet?

The bid included the dates June 8th-12th, 2016, but we will finalize details in the next couple months.

Stay tuned to our website (www.rocstock.org) for up to date info, and for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of flying with us before, it should give you a good snapshot into what to expect at LDRS 35!

See you there,

Bryce Chanes
ROC VP

We couldn't make ROCstock this month, due to other obligations, but when Sharon heard that LDRS will be at ROC next year, there was no hesitation, we will be there. With all the bells and whistles, and a few rockets....
I posted up a thread on the new Tripoli forum about this event and several questions were asked there. Maybe Bryce can answer this one, will the event be held under Tripoli Research rules?
If the rule regarding "M" motors could be bumped up to include my N2000, I should be able to get over 10,000 ft. with my Ultimate Darkstar! Sharon also has a Large, Dangerous rocket ship she is building for her L-3, a Gizmo XL....

As I recall there were special exceptions put in place for the last LDRS at lucern to allow for larger motors and ex launches. I do not know if anything like that is possible this time.

MegaDarkStar:

[video=vimeo;12811719]https://vimeo.com/12811719[/video]

Last edited:
There is the beginning of a web page: Http://ldrs35.orgPlease remember that we found out about hosting LDRS 35 at the same time as everyone else.

Obviously there are a lot of questions, but many of the answers are still "to be determined".

As things develop, news will be posted on the site above, and the FAQ updated.

David Smith
Tripoli 15803, NAR 78668, L2
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member

I'll be shooting for this one. Looking forward to this. I have old friends that live in LA I'd like to look up so it would really work out for me :)

I suppose it's a little early yet to be mentioning this, but did you say there will possibly be a higher waiver and/or an exception which will allow for research motors?
Also, I didn't see an actual website up yet - just a WordPress parking page so far.

I suppose it's a little early yet to be mentioning this, but did you say there will possibly be a higher waiver and/or an exception which will allow for research motors?
Also, I didn't see an actual website up yet - just a WordPress parking page so far.
The current ROC launch restrictions are found here. https://rocstock.org/launches/

1.) Waiver: 7,000 AGL with call-ins to 19,000 AGL.

The FAA grants waivers, and the ATCS is divided into 2 levels: low altitude control sectors to 18,000 msl; and high altitude control sectors from 18,000' msl to 60,000 msl. Any waivers above 16,000 msl require high altitude control sector interactions so they are more difficult to obtain and/or change. With a waiver the airspace is still shared so the air traffic controllers are busy directing aircraft through the launch area.

The method to permit higher flights at Black Rock was to obtain a TRF (Temporary Flight Restriction) rather than a waiver. I'm assuming a TRF requires less controller interaction than a waiver as all other air traffic in the launch area is prohibited and if there are no airports nearby, the TFR may be easier to obtain.​

2.) Currently only CSFM approved motors may be used.

California is the only state that has additional motor certification and use requirements. Hobby rocketry in California is regulated by the California State Fire Marshall, and apparently did not incorporate NFPA 1122, 1125 and 1127 into their state regulations making them unique in the US. Earlier this year due the efforts of several NAR and TRF members, CA adopted a new model rocket code similar to the NFPA 1122 Code for Model Rockets. I'm assuming as similar effort is underway for high power rockets but who knows when or if it may come to pass.

Bob​

Back