Altus Metrum/Mega + TeleDongle - No communication in Idle mode

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckamila

Reaction score
Metrum 1.2 running v1.6
Mega 1.0b running v 1.5 (prog cable at home so i can't update)
TeleDongle 0.2 running v1.6

Currently using antenna from BRB RF transmitter on TeleDongle as original antenna is missing. Using yagi for actual tracking.

Strange behavior has me pulling my hair out at NXRS. Able to test, change configuration and channels on both devices to CH#5 prior to leaving home wednesday night. Yesterday at NXRS while attempting to test charges on new 75mm MD rocket i could NOT connect in Monitor Idle mode to TeleMega but could could connect to my other rocket flying a TeleMetrum in Monitor Idle mode. This morning i can NOT connect to either device in Idle mode but can in Flight mode.

I have verified settings on both devices via direct connect with USB cable. Both devices running on Ch#5. Both work in Flight mode.

(edit) Hooked up yagi antenna also with same results - no Idle mode communication.

Anyone have an idea on whats going on? I am stuck electronic hell and not able to fly new project.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Error message:

Connecting to TeleDongle 549 COM7, 435.050 MHz as N0CALL

My call sign is configured and present with USB connection or in Flight mode.

Other issues:
First window in either Flight or Idle mode is blank. Need to shrink window slightly and then window populates properly. This is only happening on laptop (Lenovo T500) Win 7 Pro, SP1, Java version 8.45.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Teledongle call sign isn't properly configured. Check the ground station configuration.

Wish I could help more. I've found that the UI is pretty bad in terms of window sizing, controls being cut off, etc, especially on smaller screens.

mikec - thanks for offering to assist.

I believe the TeleDongle is just a transceiver. The call sign in set in the [Configure Altimeter] section. If the TeleDongle or TeleMetrum/TeleMega was miss configured, then neither Idle (horizontal) or Flight (vertical) mode would work. I have Flight mode working on both devices so i have an issue in the horizontal orientation only. TeleDongle actively flashes both green and red tx/rx lights without connecting regardless or how long i wait.

Chris

I had almost the same problem with my setup (Edit - exactly the same problem). I sent it to them to look at it and they sent it back with a new teledongle and it works great now. They said they had a bad run of teledongles because of a chip manufacturer issue. It's very possible you got a bad one as well.

I had an identical problem with the Telemetrum. Bdale replaced the Teledongle under warranty, and everything worked fantastically once I got the parts back...

Later!

--Coop

Make sure AltOS is set up under the "Configure AltosUI" button. This may be why you are seeing the N0CALL message. A callsign is required for ground mode but not flight mode.

Doug

Ding! Ding! Ding! dcbertelsen is the winner.

Had a chance to speak with Keith today and it took him all of 3 seconds the answer my question. I ended up bringing down a different laptop, not the Mac i usually use, and so my call sign was not set in the AltosUI. Mikec was also close suggesting configuration the Ground Station call sign. I was too blind to see the button in between Config Altimeter and Ground Station.

Keith also asked what TeleDongle version. Mine was pre-fire. There was a batch made post fire that had communication issues.

Thanks for playing along.

Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back