GARLO 2015 CIA Rocketry June 27th Champaign Illinois!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
Ok.....You little rascals...You don't want to post something here. Then i WILL! :D

I know its kind of short but, this really is such a great one day event held every late June in Central Illinois that WHO could pass it up?

To get the full details- Go to ciarocketry.org and, look it up...

On a serious note, this is truly a gem of a launch to attend during the summer months and, i really look forward to attending it again. You have a 4000ft. waiver and, H impulse limit but, the amount of fun that is this 26th annual event will stay with you for a long time.

I first attended the 2012 launch and, was quite surprised to learn later that i won the "Gary Buck Memorial Flight Award" with a humble little Madcow Bomarc on an H-Sparky. Humbling to know since Gary was one of my TAPS 10 years ago and, to pay him a little respect....long afterward.

I encourage you to run over to our friends website, get ALL the details and, grab something....anything and, show up.

Great people, great field, great raffles and, fun awards...and, the weather forecast is projected to be AWESOME!

So what is everyone flying? :eek:

I'll start! ;)

In celebration of three generations of Piepenburg's proudly serving the US Army Air Corps/ United States Air Force...I'm bringing a Madcow Bomarc!

:confused: The one you flew three years ago?

NO! Trashed that one along time ago! :D

:confused: The one you flew at LDRS last year on a "J" motor?

@#$% Yeah! This time with a smaller H motor though! :D

If you put enough nose weight in a Madcow Bomarc and, resize the motor mount....they fly like you stuck a fire hose down a gopher hole! Look at that GOPHER GO! I mean Bomarc....:wink:

Anyhow....find a guy named M-A-R-K J-O-S-E-P-H (looks like this) :smile: and, say you know me....You'll get 10 FREE raffle tickets! :wave:

Seriously though...if you have the time...come on out and, check out one of the best kept secrets in the great state of Illi-NOIZE and, see what they have been hiding! :wink:

PLUS- It gives me an excuse to stop by the local Rosatti's Pizza place and, get one of those 2 1/2" thick Chicago Pizza's before i blow town...*burp*

55 Little *Looksie-Peeks* on this thread ALONE in less than 24 hours? :w: Somebody gives a Flying Flounder too! :rolleyes:
Holy Cow i can barely contain myself! Bomarc ready, motors ready, toolbox stuffed...Cooler packed with Dews-Cokes-Smokes and, Snacks....:p.

Lets see what we have here...:confused: A Red Lightning...Woo pretty color! A Blue Thunder...Woo pretty color...loud noise! A Skidmark...WOOO pretty colors and, really loud noise! A White Thunda.....Loud! Really #@$%'n LOUD!

Come on....get out of the garage/basement/off the kitchen table...time to stand up and, let the world know what your flying! ;)

T-Minus 13 hours 44 minutes till Garlo....*tick* *tick* *tick*

Sorry Gus, wish we could be there but other plans are in effect. GARLO is a great time and I really do wish we could get there.

If you are near the area I do agree with Gus that you should check it out!

Thanks for the shout-out on our annual launch, Gus! (Nobody can do it quite like you ! :eyeroll: ) I've had my head buried in other bits of life, and neglected to get the word out here. Yep, this is our Summer fling, just-for-fun, bring out the family, community welcome launch at a local park. As Gus said, due to the size of the field, and the spirit of the event, it's focused mostly on low- and mid-power rockets, with a maximum H motor. We're giving away (built) rockets and motors to the first 20-ish kids who ask, and there are some simple contest categories.

More info at https://ciarocketry.org/garlo.html

We're cautiously optimistic that field conditions and weather will cooperate, but since June has been, um, just a bit rainy, we need to be careful (the park district is a bit finicky about their precious soccer fields). Club officers will not make a final decision until first thing in the morning. I'll do my best to post that decision - I'd hate for folks to drive a distance just to find out we had to cancel.

Oh, and the best way to get 10 free raffle tickets? I'm sure Gus will buy them for you! :flyingpig:

Mark

Oh, and the best way to get 10 free raffle tickets? I'm sure Gus will buy them for you! :flyingpig:

Mark

I heard THAT!:point: I'm actually pulling out and, dusting off some smaller stuff from my collection in case the wind speeds exceed the Bomarc's design threshold....

I ACTUALLY have small stuffage!:rolleyes:

Hope you invited some of those U of I future Rocket Scientists out....

Uncle Gus would like to demonstrate the finer principals of shoving 20#'s of $#!% into a 5# box.:surprised:

Y'all might want too stand back a little...:lol:

I ACTUALLY have small stuffage!:rolleyes:

Y'all might want too stand back a little...:lol:

Hey Hey Hey, this is a family forum. There's things about Uncle Gus that we DON'T need to know... :no: :no: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:
:duck:

Adrian (who wishes he could be there, but must stay near home this weekend)

Hey Hey Hey, this is a family forum. There's things about Uncle Gus that we DON'T need to know... :no: :no: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:
:duck:

Adrian (who wishes he could be there, but must stay near home this weekend)

Ah yes, it's that German/Irish curse thingy...If i had *Big Stuffage* I would have legally changed my name to "Dick Mahogany" and, moved out to Kali-for-nia too seek my fortune in the Adult film indrustry...:eek:
No excuse for NOT being here Adrian- we all know the corn and, beans are IN...:no:
Just down the street terrorizing a Bob Evans restaurant now....heard that they are on and, heading that way soon!:wave:

WOW! What a fun day...:D Little bit on the windy side but, got the chance to dig out and, fly little "Mini Me" Bomarc (BMS Estes clone). Several exciting twists and, rolls with damage free recovery on Estes A10-3 motors.:D

Feel the ground shake baby!;)

Next up was our only sacrifice of the day....a moment of silence please...:sigh: My beloved Estes "Tubular Thingy" went screaming skyward on a C6-5 to an estimated 500'.

Only to translate about 1320' *slideways*.

Her finally resting place is either in a tree (over yonder) or, on top of the building (behind the tree...over yonder).

Rest in peace oh $8 rocket...:sigh:

We then tried to launch my "Spear" (Estes Mean Machine Mod) but, the great Gods of Huff & Puff gave me the sign too wisely put it away.

Overall a GREAT time! So many kids flying their little pre-built Club rockets that I had to trip/out run/ and, occasionally throw an arm bar too get a pad!:lol:

Just kidding...No children were hurt trying to get a pad today from an already ample supply of pads...

Might have been a few tripping calls though....Hey kid what's that up in the sky? *WHAMO!*

Seriously, a lot of great prizes, ALOT of really happy kids, huge turn out of locals just spectating....and, the bathrooms were unlocked this year!:confused:

WOW! No more whizzing behind a far tree!:eek:

One question though? How in the heck did everyone of your LCO's pronounce my last name CORRECTLY?

Try almost 50 years of listening to it get butchered any way possible...:(

See you guys next year!:D

Gus...How do you pronounce your last name??? I'll try and get it right. Greg Olson Elgin,IL

Greg! My dear friend its very simple:

PEA- like a pod of peas...PEN- like something you write with and, BURG- a small town or village! Not :no: BERG (which does carry a different pronunciation) a hill or mountain.

Also, Thank-You CIA for the great time today. It was good day to get Dad out and, also make a short trip up to the former Chanute AFB Museum in Rantoul to let him relive some memories from his time in the early 60's working on Jets and, throw in some of my experiences from the 80's screwing together Minuteman Missiles...
I know Grandpa Gus was looking down smiling...the stories he could have told too.

I don't know how many days Dad and, i have left to do this...I cherish those moments.

Garlo is really a GREAT event!
The wife and I took my Great-niece and Great-nephew this year, and they had the time of their lives!
Didn't set up to peddle wares this year, but Hartle Engineering donated a bunch o' tubes and nose cones for the raffle.
Wind was nominal at best, but as Gus said we worked within the parameters that we had.

Put this one on the calendar for next year. It's well worth the trip. The field is a sweet one, and the people are FANTASTIC!

Evil Ed:dark:

Back