MDRM question -- time-sensitive!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
All MDRM owners,

Are the decals that come with it sufficient, or did you end up getting them from StickerShock?

I guess what I'm really asking is, are they water-slide decals, or something more durable?

Since Mark is taking a few orders, and I just ordered an MDRM, I need to know if I should order decals.

Thanks!

I used the kit supplied decal and I'll have to say it was the largest water-slide I've ever used, but were excellent in my opinion. I've built models years ago and have had much experience with water slide decals, so this wasn't too big of a challenge, but if you're new to water slides, get some help or at least an extra set of hands and tackle the largest ones last.

I used a shallow dish bucket with a bit of dish washing soap so I could position the decals more easily (works for me) and I got excellent results...got a lot of compliments on it when I debuted it at the field. Of note is that I painted the top portion of my MDRM white (under the big decal) since in my experience, white decal portions (such as the prominent skull and crossbones) don't look good if the decal isn't thick enough or have enough white pigment - if this has ever happened to you, you know what a disappointment it can be. However it may not have been necessary since the skull and crossbones decal I put on one of the red fins came out fine.

BTW - One tip I'll add is to plan and center the skull in advance. I just put the seam in the back and after realized the skulls weren't where I would've wanted.

Pic:
image-ken-e-coyotes-mega-der-red-max-600-054415142305763.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. That looks great.

My fear with water slides is that they will scrape off, they are so thin. Vinyl seems to last pretty much forever.

I found them difficult to get on and not rip - but I'm a relative noob with decals in general. They also do not like the slightly textured metallic paint I used at all and are peeling away/cracking.

Thanks. That looks great.

My fear with water slides is that they will scrape off, they are so thin. Vinyl seems to last pretty much forever.

Thanks!

I made sure to wet the large decal and surface well with the soapy water and added more as I was working it (messy, so make sure to line work surface with newspaper). Still, time available to work it after you get it started down seems limited due to the decal grip...at a certain point I couldn't move it much without lifting it off completely again. I think it's better to grab the entire decal off the backing, place the center down where you want and wrap the ends around after that (helps keep things lined up a bit better than starting on one end). Again, it would be helpful to have an extra set of hands and eyes.

Also once I got all the decals on, I do my usual clear coat. I recommend this for any decals you add since it helps keep them down and also prevents them from cracking & peeling from my experience.

Last edited:
oh, and also have towels ready to start squeegie-ing out the water under the decal as well as to smooth out any bubbles. This should be done gently if possible.
I guess it is all an art...not too much water nor too little...don't lift off too early nor too late...not too light nor too hard...learn to dance with the decal! :D

Start with some of the small ones first and see how you do. In fact, they give plenty, so you should have some extra left...plan out the ones you'll use and try the extras as a test on something else.

When I make mine, I'm buying vinyl. I think it will be easier to work with. And plus, Stickershock has a lot of other customs designs other than the stock livery, and most of them are more appealing to me.

The only one I had trouble with was the big wrap that goes at the top. I had to do some touch up with Black and White paint to fix a few spots where I tore the decal. As to how long they will last I don't know. I would have preferred some of Mark's vinyl decals.

Step #1: mix a 1:10 mixture of dish soap in the proper sized flat tray.
Step #2: Make sure the water is Room Temperature.
Step #3: Pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle and spary area where decal will go.
Step #4: Soak Water Slide Decal until you feel a slimy feel between decal and backing paper.
Step #5: Slide decal to edge of backing, place backing at starting point of rocket.
Step #6: Slice decal onto rocket, hold with opposite hand finger, and slowly pull backing paper from under decal while rotating rocket (if on air frame) until backing paper is clear.
Step #7: Lightly use finger tips (or flat object) to position the decal.
Step #8: After letting is sit for a few minutes, use a flexible flat edge to squeegee out the excess water into a tissue or paper towel.
Step #9: Let set for 24 hours or, apply heat with a blow dryer or heat gun set a low heat and use a sweeping motion to set decal.
Optinal; Step #10: Use flexible 2 part epoxy (fishing rod building epoxy, and any additives like pearl or color) and cover the entire rocket and let set for 48 hours
The epoxy not only gives it a durable finish and shine, but will put a "defense shield" bonded totally around the rocket exterior and guard against decal damage.

If you think rockets are bad, try putting a Pheonix Bird on the hood of a shaker hood of the Trans Am!!!! Now that is some sq. footage at one time! And get it on sqare!!!!

Last edited:
Step #1: mix a 1:10 mixture of dish soap in the proper sized flat tray.
Step #2: Make sure the water is Room Temperature.
Step #3: Pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle and spary area where decal will go.
Step #4: Soak Water Slide Decal until you feel a slimy feel between decal and backing paper.
Step #5: Slide decal to edge of backing, place backing at starting point of rocket.
Step #6: Slice decal onto rocket, hold with opposite hand finger, and slowly pull backing paper from under decal while rotating rocket (if on air frame) until backing paper is clear.
Step #7: Lightly use finger tips (or flat object) to position the decal.
Step #8: After letting is sit for a few minutes, use a flexible flat edge to squeegee out the excess water into a tissue or paper towel.
Step #9: Let set for 24 hours or, apply heat with a blow dryer or heat gun set a low heat and use a sweeping motion to set decal.
Optinal; Step #10: Use flexible 2 part epoxy (fishing rod building epoxy, and any additives like pearl or color) and cover the entire rocket and let set for 48 hours
The epoxy not only gives it a durable finish and shine, but will put a "defense shield" bonded totally around the rocket exterior and guard against decal damage.

If you think rockets are bad, try putting a Pheonix Bird on the hood of a shaker hood of the Trans Am!!!! Now that is some sq. footage at one time! And get it on sqare!!!!

Good tips; however in my experience, very large/long decals can stretch/tear if you try to slide them off the backing paper (even when properly wet...there is water tension causing almost like a vacuum effect which causes the backing to keep a hold onto the decal). In this case for the largest decal, after trying to slide it off and noticing it was a lot of tension to slide off, I decided it wasn't working and next tried peeling while applying...still came out crooked/stretched, so I actually lifted it off to apply onto the wetted surface (center of decal first) and that worked fine. Also the decal was strong enough to be lifted and handled separately (I wouldn't normally recommend this in other situations).

Want a rocket decal challenge? Try the OOP Quest Tomahawk Cruise missile. :)

Built two MDRMs with Mark's decals ... one in blue, the other in pink. Also have a scratch 4" DRM with the traditional setup (this preceded the MDRM kit).

Later!

--Coop

JUST BEAUTIFUL! Love each of the designs and the paint looks great too! :clap:

Thanks! All are still flying (after a few repairs). Red eats up 3-grain I's. Pink and blue go on the 3-grain G's. Haven't thrown an H in either of the kits, yet.

I keep half-thinking about making a 5.5" version. Maybe one of these days...

Later!

--Coop

I got mine built. I got my StickerShock vinyl. Just need to get some paint on it and apply the decals.

Just a side note that someone complimented me on the MDRM decal job this past Sunday - he had a MDRM as well, but skipped the big decal since he didn't feel up to the task. I suggested that he simply cut the big decal in half between the skulls and apply one half at a time...much more manageable that one giant decal.

BTW - I flew it on a G64 reload and got some cheers....nice cheap reload motor for this rocket. :)

Back