Redundant trackers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just seeking a bit of discussion on redundant trackers. I've now got 2 beeline RDF trackers, and I was wondering what the consensus is on using 2 at once. different frequencies? as far away from each other as possible? Highly frowned upon due to already high frequency congestion?

Thanks,
Nate

Hi Nate! I use a BRB beacon tracker in nearly every big flight. While I guess it could happen, I've never had one fail to operate, so I'd think redundant is not terribly useful. They seem to be very reliable. What I like to do however, is put a GPS (900MHz) on a sled with the BRB for higher flights.

I use redundant trackers in my high flying rockets. I have an Eggfinder in the N/C and a CSI RF beacon taped onto the drogue shock cord on most of my high fliers. The CSI tracker lets me know when I have a good drogue deployment by a dramatic increase in signal, and the Eggfinder tells me where to find my rocket. I have had one Eggfinder failure when an ematch failed to deploy the drogue, rocket returned ballistic to 700 ft. and deployed the main chute, which stripped off, and the rocket landed hard, disabling the Eggfinder. Really lucky to find it laying beside the road as we abandoned the search and were returning to the launch area. You never know what might happen when flying to higher altitudes. This occurred while flying a 54mm MD Blackhawk on a K160 to 14,701 ft.

If I launched big expensive rockets like you HP guys, I would put one in every segment of the rocket, just in case.

Heh, funny you should mention that Woody. At LDRS on Friday, I flew my Madcow Frenzy 54 to 9K, and the NC separated at some point (I've gotta learn to check my knots). No big deal, except that had the sole tracker in it. Luckily, someone (can't quite remember who, but thanks!!) found the rest of it, and returned it to our little entourage while we were hunting down the signal from the tracker.

Nate

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys, and thanks Andy for mentioning the low failure rate. I figured they were pretty robust systems, but I don't have enough flights to constitute a decent sample size.

Nate

Back