Cleaning 1010/1515 launch rail groves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMcKeown

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a good way to clean the inside of the 1010/1515 launch rail grove?

To clean the outside I use dish soap, vinegar, water and scrub. Then I hit the outside with a rotary wire wheel in a power drill. It mostly cleans up the outside and the grove edge of everything but the divots from sparky motors. But, I can not reach the inside back surfaces of the grove.

Tom

I spray the groove with vinegar, cut a piece of Scotch Brite pad just big enough to slide in the end of the rail ( slightly compressed to get all surfaces) and then use a cooler stick to move the pad the length of the rail. I continue back and forth until clean, adding more vinegar at times.

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. Walmart (depends on where you are if it's on the shelf). You can order a complete 3 part kit from Wallyworld for about $15.

I spray the groove with vinegar, cut a piece of Scotch Brite pad just big enough to slide in the end of the rail ( slightly compressed to get all surfaces) and then use a cooler stick to move the pad the length of the rail. I continue back and forth until clean, adding more vinegar at times.

That, but I use Breakfree CLP instead of vinegar.

I wonder about using a piece of PVC capped at both ends (one screw cap obviously) and slide in the rail, then fill with vinegar or Hopps?
Sort of a small bath sort of wash?

Adrian

I wonder about using a piece of PVC capped at both ends (one screw cap obviously) and slide in the rail, then fill with vinegar or Hopps?

Adrian

+1 for this idea

That is exactly what we do.
Two 4' sections of PVC. 1 - 3" ID, the other smaller.
Cap/seal one end.
Fill about 3/4 with white vinegar.
Slide the rails (and rods) in and let them soak a bit.
Pull out and wipe down outside, stuff paper towel into the slots and wipe well. (When the PT gets soaked, it tends to fill the slot when stuffed in.)
Turn the rails and rods around and do the same (6' in a 4' tube).
Slide cap on the tubes and keep the vinegar in the tubes leaning in a corner.

The vinegar last for a long, long time.
Works really well for us.

Last edited:
Scotch bright pad and likelite. Spray it, make a brew, give it a rub, spray some more, drink the brew then scrub it. Then wash it off. Job done

I used a brass pipe cleaning brush from harbor height. (Package has nylon and steel too). They fit in the groove and the wire bends out into the slot so you can run it up and down the full length. Not perfect, but gets off the heavy stuff.

If the rails have been neglected for a launch season and are black and growing 'nibs' on them, pressure washing them works wonders. After they air dry completely, treat them with an appropriate anti-corrosion agent.

Most rails have 4 sides so when in a pickle, rotate the rail

Last edited:
Well I finally got around to cleaning the rails. I used the heavy duty green scrub pads. I cut the pad into three strips long ways for the 1010 rails, bent them long ways in half and stuffed them in the rail. I then doused the grove with vinegar. Then using a paint stick ran it up and down the grove a bunch of times. Two of the rails had not been cleaned this way for years. They now are 100% better. The new rail is good and clean.

For the 1515 rails I only cut the pad in half long ways and did the same thing. They cleaned up great except at the very bottom where they have taken abuse from sparky motors.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Forgot to mention after cleaning I give the business side of the rail a shot of silicone spray. I clean mine within a day or two after use, cleans up nice and easy. Silicone is good for the guides and seems to be a barrier between rail and crud.

Adrian

Depending on the size of the PVC, that could get expensive. Especially with HOPPS at about a buck an oz. Vinegar, perhaps.

Back