Lightweight Large Pershing 1A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a test over friday/saturday using bob smith foam cure, simlar to foam-tac brand, it's a clear glue used for bonding foam that can be used as fillets or contact cement where you apply to both sides let dry then adhere, or just as a normal adhesive, it stays flexible. In any case, my polycarbonate fin test piece adhered really well to my test slot I made, so today I glued the fins in place and put clear fillets on them. Hope to re-fly it in two weeks.

Last edited:
Flight today at tri cities Washington was perfect, dead straight, perfect deployment and no damage, had 10mph winds too, very stable, weather was very sunny, great way to end the flying season.

Frank

Frank that flight today might have been the best yet I have seen for that rocket, it didn't even wiggle under boost.

Yup, and the altitude was about 100' higher than with the lower mass fins, so simulation matched pretty well. I love how these big foam rockets just hang for about 3-4 seconds at apogee before popping the chute, especially in a headwind.

Frank

Had a great flight this weekend at Fillibles Folly in Oregon, here's a video along with a photo from John R Hornsby III

FB_IMG_1537162742555.jpg

Last edited:
My 8" diameter 6' tall Pershing 1A flight to 1100' from this weekend at tri cities, WA, courtesy of Derek McGuckin. Chute took a while to come out of the deployment bag but no damage to the model. Video thanks to Derek McGuckin.

Last edited:
My 8" diameter 6' tall Pershing 1A flight to 1100' from this weekend at tri cities, WA, courtesy of Derek McGuckin. Chute took a while to come out of the deployment bag but no damage to the model. Video thanks to Derek McGuckin.

Better than “open on impact!” Good thing it was built light to start with.

The 15 th flight of my all foam built up 1/5th scale pershing 1A missile flying at the sod farm in Tri cities washington yesterday...

Nice to have a beautiful scale rocket that is tough enough to fly regularly. Of course, no matter how close to scale you built it, that’s one major difference between yours and the real thing: the REAL missile was a single-use edition.;)

Selfie prior to flight number 22 at tri cities this weekend, perfect flight, but had an upper fin snap right at the foam tube interface when it bounced on landing, the polycarbonate 3/32" fins are fully slotted into wood slots, I think the flexible CA I used as a cosmetic fillet last year caused some crazing of the surface and allowing it to snap, these fins are very tough to break even when scored normally...I've already installed a new one....

Attachments

• 345218243_676060064329587_7354565938134675592_n.jpg
    345218243_676060064329587_7354565938134675592_n.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back