Paint Desin Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houdeani01

Reaction score
Hello All, I am not sure if there is any one out there that is good with colors but I am not. I am in the process of building the below rocket and am not having any luck with the paint schemes. I am wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions for me or a good place to go to get design ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Final.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I like the scheme you came up with there. I just hope the pods don't destroy the fins they're mounted to.

Thanks for the tips and you and me both hope that does not happen. I am using 1/8" G10 fins that have 6 fillets on the main tube and 6 fillets on the side tubes as the fin goes through the body and mounts to the motor mount. The first flight will tell me if this is enough or not :)

Here is a pic of the fins set in place but not yet glued
20150622_200902817_iOS.jpg

Neat Sci-Fi design!

I am partial to rockets with pods on the fins. One thing I was warned about is that the pods can sometimes tangle in the recovery gear, so give yourself a plenty long shock cord.

Here is a "pod rocket" I built, and the paint design I used. It evolved over time, with more details being added as I went along. All of the paints are Rustoleum Stops Rust Metallics (not Bright Coat metallics). That line of paint is very compatible from one color to the next, and it dries very quickly and is pretty durable. It has a metal flake effect that does not come through well in photos.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/metallic

MDRM-P-Finished6.jpgMDRM-P-Finished1.jpgMDRM-P-Finished2.jpgMDRM-P-Finished3.jpgMDRM-P-Finished4.jpgMDRM-P-Finished5.jpg

I am wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions for me or a good place to go to get design ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 266195
Isn't that a bit like going to a large club launch and asking "Does anybody have a knife?" But to be honest, I have the knife but not the talent for designing paint schemes. I'd post this question over in the scratch build subforum, and look at the build threads there for inspiration as well.

Hey thanks everyone for the links and pictures I do realize this is not a easy question to ask/answer as everyone is different. I just wanted to see if I could get some inspiration as I am not very artistic.

Trying some different paint schemes in RockSim

Trident.jpg

Last edited:
Back