CATO!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoechtig

Reaction score
I guess it was bound to happen eventually... after 160+ successful high power flights with Aerotech reloads and Rouse Teach hardware, I had my first Cato last Saturday. It was in a fiberglass 4” Darkstar rocket with an Aerotech K828FJ-P (Rouse Tech 54/2560 case).

Based on the photos and video, it appears the motor ignited as planned, lifted about 5 feet off the pad, over pressurized, and exploded towards the top of the rail. The force of the CATO ripped the cap off my Aeropack motor retainer and slammed the case against the thrust plate. As you can see in the last photo, the case is completely destroyed. I never found the forward closure and the aft closure is stuck on the damaged case.

037rev.jpg

038rev.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

The good news is the rocket is in great shape (gotta love 100% fiberglass builds). The motor retainer threads are still okay - just need to swap out a replacement 54mm cap. The drogue shock cord was ripped off the MMT. So, I ordered a tapped forward closure and will remount the shock cord with an eyebolt connected directly to the case.

I've been working with Aerotech and hope they will replace the reload and assist with new Hardware. A report has been filed. So far, they've been great. Definitely NOT the way you want to start your day...

[video=youtube;hxshQaAJlDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxshQaAJlDk[/video]

At least I got a couple cool pictures from it :cool:

Last edited:
Saw the video, but cant see the pics. Glad the rocket is safe to fly another day.

I flew the K828FJ last weekend also. See the Bong launch thread. Did your liner go in easy? I had to pound mine in all the way. I got both closures tight, but if yours was the same, is it possible the liner got damaged or the closure wasn't all the way tight? I had to pound the line out too. End result was my case turned into a copy of yours, only because my stupid fingers let the case slip out of my hands onto the cement floor. Out of round I could have fixed, but the dent down is another problem that can't be repaired. Moral: keep a good grip.
Glad your rocket was repairable.

Adrian

Did your liner go in easy? I had to pound mine in all the way. I got both closures tight, but if yours was the same, is it possible the liner got damaged or the closure wasn't all the way tight?
Adrian

The Liner slipped into the case with no problem. However, the grains were very tight going into the liner. I don't believe this had anything to do with the CATO, but who knows.

I have a 38/720 case that never allows the liner to fit. In fact, I need to use a power sander to reduce the diameter (even when brand new). I learned over time that case manufacturers (i.e. Rouse Tech) will periodically release a product that is just slightly out of spec. It still works but is a pain in the *** when prepping for launch. It sounds like that might have been the case for your 54/2560 can.

I had to pound the line out too. End result was my case turned into a copy of yours, only because my stupid fingers let the case slip out of my hands onto the cement floor. Out of round I could have fixed, but the dent down is another problem that can't be repaired. Moral: keep a good grip.
Adrian

Yep - - I had a 75mm case slip out of my hand once and dent one side. There was no way for me to re-shape it. Live and learn :)

I have a 38/720 case that never allows the liner to fit. In fact, I need to use a power sander to reduce the diameter (even when brand new). I learned over time that case manufacturers (i.e. Rouse Tech) will periodically release a product that is just slightly out of spec. It still works but is a pain in the *** when prepping for launch. It sounds like that might have been the case for your 54/2560 can.

I have all DR. Rocket cases, had 1 problem with a liner fit, had to be the liner. If I had a case like yours I'd return that in a heartbeat for a new one. We pay good money for them, you should not have to sand liners down every time you want to use it.

Chris - very spectacular Cato! Glad the rocket will fly again. Your builds are always awesome, hate to see them get banged up.

I probably fly Aerotech 70% of the time but it's all been CTI's that have been giving me problems the past year. At least their warranty process goes pretty smoothly. ;-)

When the weather cools down I'll fly with you guys again over at the TTRA field. My plan is to finish my L3 project this summer and finally launch it. :)

Latest posts

Back