confederate flag protest???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Why are people so up and arms about the Southern States still flying the Confederate Flag. As far as I see it, it is a stupid argument. It is our past, our history. It is what made us us. People who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. It seems to me that there are idiots out there that just want to complain about something.

As far as I am concerned as long as The United States of America flag is being flown there is absolutely no issue if the Confederate flag is being flown at the same time underneath it.

Now if the Confederate flag is being flown without the American flag then there is an issue in my book!

People assign different meaning to symbols such as the confederate flag. Some people see a sign of oppression, some people see a sign of independence and states rights. The civil war is far too complex to say it was solely about slavery. To do so is lazy and misinformed.

As you know my last name is Carver, as in John Carver of the Mayflower Compact. My family has been here from the beginning. Also, as you may not know the slave owners gave their last names to the slaves they owned, thus the reason there are so many blacks with the last name of Carver. Our family was very well to do until the Civil War, then Sherman burned the place to the ground on his march to the sea... What my family became after that was poor, dirt poor. Eventually they settled in Florida. My dad joined the Air Force during the end of the Korean War era and was stationed to Mtn Home AFB here in Idaho. He met my mom at a dance at Gowen Field National Guard Base. After all the family went through in history he wasn't a bit prejudice and beat any trace of it from the kids and well he should have.

The claim that the Confederate flag is history, a history of mistreatment of a people on the basis of color. Disguise it any way you want it is a symbol of oppression and hatred. You that want to defend it's use go wave it in the middle of downtown Compton, let me know how that goes....

The ISSUE is whether it belongs on government buildings.

Correct. The protests have to do with flying the Confederate battle flag from government buildings.

No one is going to ban the Confederate battle flag. You can fly one if you want. Just like you can fly a Nazi banner or hammer and sickle if you want. You can be as offensive as you want, and just have to face the consequences of offending people.

And no one outside of South Carolina is going to force SC to stop flying it from State buildings or on State property. That's a political issue for SC to decide, and as a political issue, it's probably eventually going to result in this thread getting locked.

I think SC Governor Nikki Haley made a good point about the flag being an important part of a controversial past, but questioning whether it is the right banner to lead the state into the future.

This thread does not have a place in TRF. It yields strong emotion that can only end is hurt feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back