Crazy pattern in paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
I hope someone can tell me what caused this, I have been painting rockets off and on for 20 years and this is the first time I have had this happen. Fiberglass rocket using Rustoleum Primer/Filler, Rustoleum Gloss White base coat (which was like glass before I sprayed the yellow) and Rustoleum Gloss Yellow. Base coat dried for about 24 hours. The paint was like this about 5 minutes after spraying and got progressively worse. It is scattered on the tube and fins, not completely covering any one area. I don't have a clue what caused this.

20150623_221004.jpg

20150623_220900.jpg

I've always heard it called crazing. Can't remember what combinations of filler/primer/top coat caused it. Seems like there have been a lot of problems with white paint lately.

This looks like wrinkling to me.

If the surface resembles your skin after you have been in the bathtub too long... that's wrinkling.

Incompatible paint or not following the drying/re-coat times is usually the cause.

Your base coat was not fully cured before applying the topcoat. Look at the can for 're coat' time. In some cases, if the base coat was particularly heavy, it's wise to allow extra time. All this applies only if the two materials are compatible. If you apply a top coat with hotter solvents, such as a lacquer over oil based, or oil based over water based, this can still happen.

Yes, I believe the drying time of the base coat is the culprit. I put on the final coat very heavy to get a smooth gloss, looks like I need to adjust drying times to be certain that it is fully cured before applying the next color. Thanks for the good info guy's, this won't happen again.
Is there anything I hate more than re-painting rockets after hours of meticulous prep work? Nope, there's not.

Well it looks like 24 hours wasn't enough for the base coat. Since you have experience I guess you know about orange peel, crazing, wrinkling, etc. And all the Rusto Painters Touch 2x cans in my paint locker say within 1 hour or after 48 hours recoat time. Is that your brand? Also it could be that the Yellow is slightly "hotter" (more or higher proportion of solvents). Or local atmospheric conditions were just a touch too humid when the base was curing. Or the paint gremlins just decided it was time to smack you down a peg. :wink:

As far as crazing patterns go, it's IMHO kinda neat though. If there wasn't such a weight/drag effect, I'd try to preserve it and say it was a deliberate effect.

also if you sand the primer Wait at least a day before painting , the primer will gas-off again and pucker the paint I've had it do it to me several times.

Moral of the story: avoid oil based paint at all cost and go with lacquers. Lacquers will never do this at all, at worst you get runs and sags that can be reflowed or sanded off later on.

Moral of the story: avoid oil based paint at all cost and go with lacquers. Lacquers will never do this at all, at worst you get runs and sags that can be reflowed or sanded off later on.
while if you live in communist California Lacquer paint are almost impossible to get, I did a Van Halen paint job on my rebuilt Rattboy and the 4 week old Rustoleum gloss white puckered when I clear-coated it with the same brand , none of the other 10 colors did when I did my striping That sucked

Looks like your base coat of white wasn't completely cured. One rule of painting I have always followed: It may look and feel cured, but, if you can smell it, it isn't cured.

David

my white base coats was at least 4 weeks old so it should have been cured It's just that the paint sucks
Looks like your base coat of white wasn't completely cured. One rule of painting I have always followed: It may look and feel cured, but, if you can smell it, it isn't cured.

David

Back