TRA Level 3 Cert Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding pre-cert test flights on smaller motors, what do you guys see as the benefit?

Regarding an L3 cert if you were to ask me this question I would counter with, “How many L's have you flown?” In my mind it depends a lot on how much experience you have as to how you approach this question.

If you are seeing how quickly you can go through the levels, as a few folks seem to want to do, I would recommend a “test flight.” Flying a few H motors at L1, a J350 and maybe a couple of K's with dual deployment at L2, and then jumping into an M powered project, even an M1297, is a big jump in power. A test flight with an L begins to fill in at least one of the blanks. Remember when you went from the black powder D to the composite G? Same thing.

If you have been flying L2 rockets for a while and have been doing dual deploy regularly and consistently and have a few big K's and have a couple of L's under your belt you have an idea of what the next power jump is going to be and can keep that in mind for your project. If this is the case I would go for the cert flight on the first launch.

Does an apogee deployment automatically generally disqualify a cert flight, assuming the chute fully deploys and it still comes down safely? It's not on the list of automatics disqualifications on Tripoli, unless it drifts too far - is that something most TAP members would call a disqualification? This is an honest question - I'm a long way from doing L3 but I'd like to do L2 not too long from now, and it might inform my rocket choice.

This is a subject that is discussed often but frequently ;) (yes that's a bit redundant but it's the truth)
To answer your question, no it is not an automatic DQ. You need to talk to your TAP members before your flight about this specifically. I believe that the current stand is that as long as your rocket is recovered intact, safely and within the cone of the waiver you will not be automatically disqualified. The rules also state that the TAP member can refuse to sign off on your flight for any reason. This is just something you need to get straightened out with your tap ahead of time.

If this is something you are overly concerned about then you must suspect there is a weak spot in your deployment system so I would suggest working on it so it becomes a non issue.

When you show up at the launch site and I ask you if there is anything you feel uncomfortable with on your rocket the answer should be “no”. It's normal to be nervous but not indecisive about parts, glue joints, hardware, etc.

Also, your project needs to be signed off by two TAP members before the flight. This does not have to be done at the same time. My L3 project was inspected a couple of months before I flew it by one of my TAP's, a month later by the second, and then on the day of the launch the first one happened to be there to witness the flight. These days a lot of stuff vcan be done by email and phone. Communications between the parties involved should be the least of any problems. We want you to succeed and usually will go out of our way to help as long as you don't take advantage of us.

As far as membership numbers go, having a low number does not guarantee you are getting the smartest or most qualified guy. Check my numbers at the end of this post. I would apparently be a lot smarter at a TRA launch than a NAR one. I just got a nice, shiny, 25 year membership pin with my renewal to TRA earlier this year and the guys I launch with, some of you, teach me something every time I go to a launch.

Sorry, this got longer than I intended.

Last edited:
As far as membership numbers go, having a low number does not guarantee you are getting the smartest or most qualified guy. Check my numbers at the end of this post. I would apparently be a lot smarter at a TRA launch than a NAR one. I just got a nice, shiny, 25 year membership pin with my renewal to TRA earlier this year and the guys I launch with, some of you, teach me something every time I go to a launch.

BINGO-My thoughts exactly...

Back