To build or not to build?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I came across something pretty cool on ebay. It's an old Binder Design Excel kit in it's original box with the original tape on it. Mike told me he believes it's from the early to mid 90s, so it could be older than me!

What do you guys think? Build it, or hold on to it?

Braden

1435094091761.jpg

I personally feel that rocket kits were born to be built. Unless you think you'll stash enough old kits to retire on the profits.

I know that lots of folks have different views on this sort of thing but......

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever not to build and fly this. Not to offend anyone but....."original box", "original tape", etc. So what? It's just a rocket! Build it, fly it, have fun with it. What use is a box of old tubes and parts?

s6

I believe a rockets should fly, I say build it , when I buy OOP kits I buy them to build and fly. I also dont care about original box, tape whatever build and fly!!!!!!

To be honest, I don't see an older Binder Design kit ever becoming worth a lot. Even if they go OOP. Since our hobby, especially MPR-HPR is so small in comparison to the population, there won't be a lot of demand to cause its price to soar. So I say, build it and fly it.

I was just gauging opinions. I ripped open an Estes mosquito kit from the 70s and built it years ago. I'm not afraid :wink:

Braden

Build it, fly it, and enjoy it. I am of the thought that whatever you collect you should use as it was intended.

One of my favorite rockets I have one hanging in my man cave. I say build and fly.

TA

Unless you build it, it's not a rocket. It's a bag of paper, wood, and maybe some plastic or fiberglass.

Turning it into a rocket is what we do.

Randy at eRockets/Semroc is keeping one kit from each of the first production runs of the new kits he releases. That makes sense to me as it is a part of his business and each of these kits means something to him. For the rest of us they are rockets. In your case build it, fly it, and hopefully don't crash it.

To build or not to build; that is a question? Of course build. Kits are made to be built. It's suffocating inside all that original packaging. Set it free and let it fly.

All this being said, should I somehow come across an ORIGINAL Estes Saturn V kit, there is NO WAY I'm even removing the plastic from the box. I'll build one, but it will be a clone. :)

Since that is not going to happen...

Back