Boeing 2707-200 SST RC rocket glider.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason my XF-108 thread posted twice.

Converted this one into the home thread for my upcoming Boeing SST project.

Have already tile printed a drawing in a suitable size and cut a few parts. Have been sketching up couple of ideas for the wing box structure for the swing wings.

Leading concept is a very light arrangement of sculpted .025 G10 sheet for the top and bottom surfaces of the spar box with some .5mmx6mm carbon for the vertical members of the box. The ends of the top and bottom surfaces will be 1" or 1.25" diameter circles to serve as pivot supports for the wing. Still designing the wing pivots areas on the wing panels and the mechanics of the swing mechanism.

Planning on using 4 short sections of BT50 so that the engine nacelles will be 3 dimensional, possibly with some vac formed shock cones in the front.

This will swing into high gear after the XF-108 is complete.

Last edited:
Probably doesn't apply to your model, and I've told this story before, but worth another shot.

In 1969, me and a friend had the Revell plastic model of the Boeing SST (it was the swing-wing version, before Boeing switched to delta). The model came with two versions in the box, one with wings extended, one swept. We took the swept wing model, and dropped it nose down, from the center of the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, ID (where they allow BASE jumping now). It's a 500 ft drop. We estimated that it went straight down about 200 ft, then did the most beautiful pull out you've ever seen. It did about 2 1/2 circles in a flat, very fast, perfectly stable glide, until it hit the rocks below. It should have been gliding at something over 100 mph.

So naturally, we immediately went and bought and assembled another one; and dropped it. It did exactly the same thing. No attempt at trim or balancing was done; it was right out of the box.

Great story!

Speaking of flying plastic models, some DARS guys many years ago discovered that one of the popular X-15 plastic models would glide just fine (at least as well as an X-15 ever glides) from a high velocity hand launch.

Someone needs to man up and do a PMC boost glider.....;) We could issue hard hats to everyone at the event and let the vehicles and tents take their chances....:)

Getting back to the SST. Currently cutting parts and doing some detail design.

Do to the long tail boom behind the horizontal tail, I am offesting the 24mm motor mount a little below the centerline and angling it a little so it goes through the CG for minimal boost effects.

Having to make the taileron control surfaces larger than scale to get enough control authority. Looks like part of the outer engince nacelle will have to deflect with the enlarged control surface.

Still dabbling on the design for the wing pivot carry through and will have to finalize that before I can do much assembly.

Back