Can't decide which to get first, Scion or Mega Max?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rocket to Buy?

• Mega Der Red Max

• Scion

Results are only viewable after voting.

HHaase

Reaction score
My current MPR fleet is all too light and slim, and Dakota winds aren't friendly to high flights on my available fields. I like to shoot for high altitude but it ain't easy right now without dual deploy. 2015 has really been driving that point home. So I would like something bigger, not as high flying, and motor deployment until I'm ready to start flying with electronics. My criteria is a bulky mid power rocket, with an impressive launch, that can easily stay in the lower end of the 500ft-1000ft range.

MDRM fits the bill nicely, no doubt about it, and looks like a hoot of a rocket. Fits all of my criteria in that it's a big and noisy rocket that flies low. The only real negatives I can see are that it's going to be tougher to store in the house, and it needs motors on the higher end of the mid power range to fly at all. So cost per flight will be higher. I will definitely get this rocket eventually, one way or another. I think this will be the more fun choice. It also finishes off the set of current 'Red Max' rockets, I already have the standard and mini. (Then clone the Der Big Red Max at some point).

Scion would also fit my criteria too. It's more conventional, so probably not as impressive on the launch as the MDRM. The flight envelope is a lot wider though. I could run an adapter for 24mm motors to keep it low and slow at a better cost per flight. Or Stuff some bigger 29's in there and shoot for some serious altitude. I can see a lot of versatility in this one. It would make a great rocket to have with me if I don't know what field conditions will be. The $29 price is a heck of a selling point too. I really want this rocket.... just not as much as the MDRM. But how long will it be available for?

Can't afford both right now. So what should a guy do?

-Hans

I voted for the MDRM. I think that will give you the kinds of flights you are looking for --- impressive, loud, not too high. You pretty much have to fly it on at least G motors, or some high thrusting F's, like the F50. But for the kinds of impressive flights you want, that's what it takes.

The Scion, or any PSII builder kit, should give nice flights on F motors, and can go higher on G's. But it sounded like you were interested in more dramatic launches. I like my Leviathan on Evonojet F motors for nice flights under 1000 feet. That's a nice economical way to go, but it s not quite as dramatic as a rocket that keeps under 1000 fetes on a G.

Have you considered any non-Estes MPR kits? The Aerotech G-Force is a nice big 4" diameter rocket, almost 5 feet tall, and it flies great on G motors of all kinds, but keeps in that 500 to 1000-foot range. I really like that rocket! It can usually be found for 60 to 70 bucks.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy either way. Good luck!

I really like the MDRM as well. I just built mine and only have one flight with it but, wow what a flight. I'm waiting for more motors to come in. It's big and flies low, under 500 Ft. on a G80. It's perfect for me so I don't have to chase it all over the place and I can launch it near home without driving hours to launch it. I say get, you'll have fun with it.

However, if you have your heart set on the Scion then get it now, it's $29.00 on Estes's web site right now. https://www.estesrockets.com/new/009712-pro-series-iitm-sciontm which seems like a bargain to me. I've got one coming as soon as it ships.

Like ThirstyBarbarian said, I really think you'll like both.

Thanks
Joe Kipp

You might want to look at the 4" dia. 29mm MMT Binder Design Thug. They say you can fly it on E motors, but I flew one for several years on HobbyLine 29/40-120 F52T and any of the HobbyLine G motors. The F52T puts it right about 500 ft and the G will go about 1000. Until it was rebuilt twice and finally retired a couple of years ago, it was my most flown rocket. It was my bad weather/high wind rocket because it didn't go so high.

At $60 the price ain't bad either.

The numbers on the Thug look right, but I just can't get into the looks. It lacks the Chutzpah of the MDRM. Though I was also considering the Sumo for a while.

G-Force is worth a look though, a bit sleeker design. Good middle ground between the MDRM and Scion maybe....

I watched two MDRMs being flown this weekend, now I want one in my fleet, one was a clone using 4" Loc Tubing and a modified Nose cone from Loc as well. The stock one got launched on F's and G's and was a blast to watch, the cloned one got at least one I216 (I think that was the motor).

FWIW I just recieved a Scion for Father's Day.

Last edited:
In a way, I actually wasn't kidding; however I reco the Mega Max first since it is just too cool and even non-rocket people who visit love that rocket above all others (hello...I have like 3-4 dozen rockets on display...hello). Next, I'd recommend getting the Estes Nike Smoke since it flies on the same motors as the MDRM, but gives you everything the Max doesn't...speed, quick off the pad and altitude! One for attitude and the other for altitude! Also if you've built one, the instruction and construction process seems familar (except for the fins - the ones on the Max are so cool and different while the Smoke is cool and easy). Finally, get one of the other PSIIs if you'd like...can't really go wrong with any of them. The other earlier recos are also good.

Edit: Sorry, forgot your original thread post that you need to keep the altitude down. The Nike Smoke has been flown on F35s and reaches about 800', so that should be okay I would hope. :)

Last edited:
The MDRM is a time-honored favorite, whereas the Scion is brand new and relatively unknown. You want to be the first guy at your club with a Scion? Go for it! You want to participate in your club's MDRM drag race? Awesome!

The MDRM almost never goes on sale because it is so popular. It will be around forever, so no rush. But the Scion may come and go. Who knows?

Not having either rocket, I'd guess the Scion is easier to build, but the MDRM is easier to paint.

Hope this helps.

I got mine from Hobbylinc for $48. I've heard that Tower is slightly more, but potentially free shipping. So it pays to shop around. The Scion is an Estes web exclusive, right? That might be appealing in/of itself, if you like being unique.

I completely plan on getting both. I just can't afford both right now, so I don't know which to get first.

Don't know if it matters, but MDRM is available at Tower Hobbies for $45-$47 shipped after discount coupon ($10 off if you're a member "011EA" and $8 off if not "011P1") and adding items to total $50-$55 (you can add in igniters or what not). Also Tower offers "EasyPay" where you can pay in installments if you qualify ("Yours for 3 Easy Pay payments ($18.67, $18.66, $18.66)").

I don't have the Scion, but I have two on order (they seem to be out of stock often, so I finally grabbed two since I needed to order couplers anyway and had $10 in Estes points). From what I can tell, it's similar to the Leviathan (which is on sale now for $22.50, but OOS), but with different fins and a web exclusive. I don't know if having the fins turned upside down and stretching it is enough to justify adding $7.50, but the Leviathan is a lovely beast as well, so I've picked up the Scion since it's different, bigger and I do like the PSII kits.

BTW - You can read a bit about the Scion here and the blogger mentions something he heard about the PSII line which may make you want to get the kits a bit sooner (I won't post it here lest it spreads more of what may be an unfounded rumor):
https://rocketn00b.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-estes-scion-spare-parts-elimination.html

Good luck! :)

That's a good price!

To the OP, Hobbylinc also has some great single-use motors for this bird. https://www.hobbylinc.com/g-model-rocket-engines G40 White, G80 Blue Thunder are pretty well known. Those are the ones that are sold by Aerotech and also rebranded for Estes. The G77 Red is great, and so is the G78 Green. Too bad they don't seem to have the G79 White --- that is a much higher thrusting white than the G40. They also have the G38 Black Jack, which makes black smoke. You might want to check sims to be sure that it will take off at adequate speed on the G38. I think this rocket is great on slow-burning motors, so the G40 and G38 (if it will work) would be a lot of fun. The others would be good for faster flights and for the different propellant types and their different effects --- also good if there is any wind. I don't think any of them would put the rocket over 1,000 feet --- probably significantly lower.

Love the MDRM; however, the scion I have here speaks to me as well.

Can't go wrong with either one, but I voted for the MDRM. Just too classic not to have that one in the fleet!

I'd say the Scion. Gives you a little time playing with the PSII kits on a cheaper rocket to make mistakes before you play with the MDRM.

I just took advantage of the Tower Hobbies deal. $47.99 on its way to my door. Never had a Red Max before, but now I can put it in the next MDRM drag race at Red Glade XVIII. :horse:

Gee - gotta be more careful about this TRF...read & read some more about MDRM, next thing I know I'm under the spell :surprised:....MDRM is on the way! (HobbyLinc - maybe here before NXRS?)

I guess I better not read those Binder Design Velociraptor threads again...could get expensive :shock:

Despite how much I REALLY want the MDRM, I ended up going with the Scion first. Mainly because my gut is telling me it's going to be limited time availability.
MDRM is in the 2015 catalog, so it will be around a bit longer. It will be next on my list.

-Hans

I picked up a built velociraptor this past weekend for $15.00 at Southern Thunder. It needs alot of reworking. But its a 54mm rocket to play with. I wonder how much reworking would be required to count as building it myself for a cert flight? At the end of the day almost everything will end up reworked, replaced or removed.

Back