54/2986 motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
On several hardware lists I have see the Aerotech motor 54/2986 hardware . But no reloads listed or data about the hardware itself . Anyone care to add more data or know anything about this hardware ?

Thanks !

Wow, indeed this is interesting. I'll see what I can find out....

I know a few years back Rouse-Tech was going to make some cases for AMW and Kosdon reloads that Aerotech was going to produce, but never got that far. Aerotech made some loads for the existing AMW/ Kosdon hardware and then quit on them. Don't know for sure if that's why this case is listed, can't think of anything else.

KBA loads are still alive and well. Aerotech didn't quit those.

Sorry, unclear on my answer. I have some AMW by Aerotech loads here for my 640 case. What I meant is they made some for some cases, and then quit after those. Yes they still make them for those cases, but I thought they were going to make more sizes for other cases at the time. At the time I was hoping that they would make some loads for the AMW 1400 case which I have, but it never happened. That's why I faintly remember something about Rouse-Tech making cases for some of the AMW & Kosdon loads. Thought maybe the odd case size might have something to do with that????

CTI has been making loads for the AMW 54 cases for years, since AMW went defunct as a matter of fact, it was part of the buy out deal. All the AMW formulas...Blue Baboon-Red Rhino- Black Bear...etc AMW turned all the formulas over to them.

Look at the bottom of this CTI page .....they they all are, just flew a 6xl skid 2 weeks ago, virtually like the K-1000 of old. And they are very reasonably priced.
You use everything in your AMW hardware except the graphite nozzle, all reloads come with a single use phenolic nozzle. You do need to buy the nozzle carrier. That is reusable.
https://www.pro38.com/products/pro54/motor.php

It's a shame more folks don't realize this. Wildman carried all of them for years, but due to lack of interest he does not. Although He will order them if you get at least 3.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=910&Sub=911&Sub1=913

Last edited:
I definitely need to study up in motors. My only issue is that I don't want to use any special diam cases. I want to build the rocket and have motor options. I understand CTI and AT use the same diams. So that's an option. Kosdon seems to be odd diams. Haven't looked at any others yet.

I definitely need to study up in motors. My only issue is that I don't want to use any special diam cases. I want to build the rocket and have motor options. I understand CTI and AT use the same diams. So that's an option. Kosdon seems to be odd diams. Haven't looked at any others yet.

Kosdon uses the same diameters, just labeled in inches. The only thing that is out of the norm are the 1", 2.5" & 4" casings, which I believe fit in 2.56" body tubes, and the 4" in something "custom". I think the 1" could be used with an adapter ( to fit in 29mm) that could be purchased separately, or some could be turned down to 24mm.

1.12" = 29mm
1.5" = 38mm
2.1" = 54mm
2.98" = 75mm
3.98" = 98mm

Hope that helps.

This case is the "single use" hardware for the K250. An awesome motor that I am trying to give the DMS treatment to get the cost down.

A thousand +'s on giving the K250 the DMS treatment! What a spectacular motor it is indeed.

Wait, what does DMS treatment entail? I did notice it is much more expensive than the other items labelled 54mm single use.

One more "it sure would be nice to have a current product list".

Wait, what does DMS treatment entail? I did notice it is much more expensive than the other items labelled 54mm single use.

Currently the K250 uses a single use aluminum casing. I bet he wants to get into the fiberglass cases to lower the price.

The main dilemma is that the current K250 is not entirely single use, one still has to use a standard RMS aft closure and extended forward closure. The motor comes with a non-anodized aluminum casing that you throw away after use; essentially toss everything but the closures. Aerotech refers to this as a Loadable Motor System (LMS). Not too big of a deal but it stings a bit more if you lose a rocket and/or have to purchase the closures if you don't already have them. The DMS treatment would mean everything is disposed of (or lost :y:) after use and no extra hardware is needed.

Here are some pictures of the K250W LMS: https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/blog/whens-the-last-time-you-saw-a-k250/

Last edited:

The K250 is a unique motor because it requires hardware but that can only be used for the K250. It uses the same closures as the other 54mm RMS but it takes a different case and a different forward seal disk. Because of the case, it is more expensive than pretty much any other 54mm motor. If the case can be used just once, let's make it phenolic and bring the price down. I was told we used to make it SU back in the day so I want to to look into that.

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/u...fb-0c647a00ba3f_Model_and_hp_cof_04_29_15.pdf

The K250 is a unique motor because it requires hardware but that can only be used for the K250. It uses the same closures as the other 54mm RMS but it takes a different case and a different forward seal disk. Because of the case, it is more expensive than pretty much any other 54mm motor. If the case can be used just once, let's make it phenolic and bring the price down. I was told we used to make it SU back in the day so I want to to look into that.

Cool, thanks.

Does that list mean the EFC is back?

Cool, thanks.

Does that list mean the EFC is back?

I wouldn't bet on it. Last I saw, the EFC was OOP pending a possible demand for it's return. If enough people ask for it, AT may consider bringing it back. Otherwise, you'll have to find a used or NOS one.

Back