a 10-lb

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssamOmar

Reaction score
i looking for a 10-lb payload to be in my rocket
can anyone suggest me a payload with this weigh ? (smart payload like electronics....)

I can't think of any electronic payload that would be anywhere near that heavy. Maybe a pallet full of Raven 3's?

Later!

--Coop

A StratoLoggerCF Altimeter plus 9lbs and 453.59 grams of rocks?

You want to give us a little more clue as to what you are doing? This is obviously not standard launch and recovery rocketry at a club.

Yup, we need to get back to the question of, why 10lb?????

but, following the thread, i will add.....

Lobbyists, or part of one.

Slugs.
On the Wet coast, we have slugs, and they are legal to fly. In a pinch of math, you can convert pounds of slugs to slugs of slugs for mass. F=ma.

Your av bay may never be the same once slug-slimed.

10 pounds is a heavy payload though... to put that much in a rocket you'll probably need at least a L or above, and even then the altitude will not be so high.

You are looking for an extra 10 pounds? I keep trying to fly less mass. What are you trying to do?

Some fly bowling balls, works well with proper recovery and attachment.

Weren't you asking the other day how to paint a rocket without adding weight? And now you want suggestions for a 10-pound payload? Put 10 pounds of primer, paint and clear coat on it --- it'll be beautiful!

This guy talks about a 26.5 pound rocket in recovery, and he wants to add another 10lbs ??
He doesn't seem to know much of anything about building a rocket, if you look at the questions he's been asking.
Good thing he's on the other side of the country from me. LOL

he could fill his nose cone with lead shot and epoxy, might get there if he's 4 inches or so in diameter. Will do wonders for his cp-cg......or fill the space between the fins with the same and watch the rocket do somersaults....regardless, this is the definition of a "away cell" bird....

Now that everyone has piled on to yet another new member.....

Check out ESRA at https://www.soundingrocket.org/ - collegiate engineering/rocketry competition wherein they fly rockets with 10lb. electronic payloads to 25,000'. You think involvement in this very legitimate program (or something like it) might be an answer to the question of why someone would come here asking for help/suggestions?

just sayin'.

Of course, this COULD be someone trying to build and launch a missile or somesuch for nefarious purposes I suppose, but I don't know...

s6

Last edited:

Check out ESRA at https://www.soundingrocket.org/ - collegiate engineering/rocketry competition wherein they fly rockets with 10lb. electronic payloads to 25,000'. You think involvement in this very legitimate program (or something like it) might be an answer to the question of why someone would come here asking for help/suggestions?

just sayin'.

Of course, this COULD be someone trying to build and launch a missile or somesuch for nefarious purposes I suppose, but I don't know...

s6

When the OP doesn't answer any questions, then the floor is open to guess. I know that when I post a question, I try to include a lot of information to help guide people to give me the answers I'm looking for.

OK, I did check them out. Here's what the description of their competition says:
We have two categories at the Competitions: Basic and Advanced. The Basic Category is to launch and recover a rocket with 10-lb payload closest to 10,000 feet above ground level (AGL). The Advanced Category may change from year to year but for the past few years it has been to launch and recover a rocket with 10-lb payload closest to 25,000 feet AGL.
Note the distinct absence of the word "electronic." There is a secondary competition sponsored by a unit of the University of Utah to which the following pertains:
Objective: Encourage participants in the IREC to create payloads that provide a useful learning opportunities
and accomplish a relevant function.

Rules: To be considered for judging, the payload must:
- Weigh at least 10 lbs;
- Be removable from the rocket;
- Not affect the flight of the rocket if removed and replaced with ballast of the same mass and form factor;
- Be totally recoverable (i.e. no pieces of payload littering the desert);
- Keep within a 3 nautical mile radius of the launch site during flight;
- Not contain any live animals;
- Not contain any hazardous materials;
The E word is still not present.

I'm still at a loss to come up with a 10 lb. electronic payload that anyone would want to put on an amateur rocket (except maybe an 80s camcorder.:wink:) So I am clearly not thinking big enough; perhaps a really substantial weather station? Wind speed would be very hard to measure from a rocket in flight, and pressure, temperature, and humidity could be measured for about an ounce or two of sensor and an ounce or two of computer. (Temperature and pressure would be under an ounce combined, but I don't know about humidity.) Video (being real for a moment) is also about an ounce or less. Ground sensing radar for range and/or speed? I can only make a WAG at what that would weigh, but that WAG is two to five pounds, and I'm trying to err on the heavy side. (Think of a police radar gun with a smaller battery and no display.) Heck, nowadays a 32" TV only weighs about 10 lb., so what the heck is going to go into a rocket that weighs that much?

Back