What am I thinking? Level 3, really?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
So when I started down this path of HPR, I told my (then) 9 year old son that I'd get my L3 when he turned 14 and got his NAR L1jr. Since he's now 12.5 I figured it was about time to get started. I picked up 4 4' sections of PML 7.5, a nose cone, some full length couplers and a 4" tube for MMT from a buddy getting out of the business. Seems like enough to get started.

I'm going to sit down with him and we'll design my L3 as an upscale of his L1jr! Think that would be pretty cool. Might have to tweak some things to make it flyable, but would still be cool.

Now I have two challenges - find a NAR HPR club near enough to let him cert, and find me a TAP or two.

Kevin

FYI, NAR doesn't call them TAPs. That's a Tripoli thing. NAR has an L3CC (Certification Committee).

Both TRA and NAR web sites list individuals by state. Hopefully you can find one.

So when I started down this path of HPR, I told my (then) 9 year old son that I'd get my L3 when he turned 14 and got his NAR L1jr. Since he's now 12.5 I figured it was about time to get started. I picked up 4 4' sections of PML 7.5, a nose cone, some full length couplers and a 4" tube for MMT from a buddy getting out of the business. Seems like enough to get started.

I'm going to sit down with him and we'll design my L3 as an upscale of his L1jr! Think that would be pretty cool. Might have to tweak some things to make it flyable, but would still be cool.

Now I have two challenges - find a NAR HPR club near enough to let him cert, and find me a TAP or two.

Kevin

Hey,,
That's really cool Kevin,,,
You two will both remember this forever...
Don't forget the pic's of the two of you with you're identical ( except for size ) rockets...
I bet one of those pic's winds up on his mantle when he's in the shoes your in now...

Teddy

John, totally on it. I'm going to L3 under TRA.

Kevin

FYI, NAR doesn't call them TAPs. That's a Tripoli thing. NAR has an L3CC (Certification Committee).

Both TRA and NAR web sites list individuals by state. Hopefully you can find one.

Last edited:
As a number of you have questioned, indeed TRA mentoring seems equally as cool. When I first started looking at this, I didn't think TRA allowed the kid at the pad. Now it seems he can be. That's a game changer. Guess what we'll be doing @KLOUDBURST?

Kevin

Do it! The pride of writing out a 3 on my flight cards has yet to fade.

I do not have kids to build with, but mine was an upscale of my own L1/L2 -
X3udxoj.png

That's awesome Kevin. I guess it is probably time to get my son in the TMP as well! :headbang:

Speaking as a TMP teen, the TMP program allows you to do TONS of stuff, literally endless depending on what your mentor is comfortable with. I have gotten to go out to the pads on M motor flights before, and flown up to an I motor (but I will be working on learning EX motors that will be bigger). Other advantage of TMP is that you can do EX motors under a mentor.

Back