Two New Kit offerings from Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The HoJo is the one I'm most interested in... but it's the only one I haven't seen specs on.

The HoJo is the one I'm most interested in... but it's the only one I haven't seen specs on.

Same here, especially since it appears to be the long-fin version. The Honest John is neat in and of itself, but it would also be an excellent jump-off point for an upscale EAC Firecat (assuming the spin rockets aren't molded into the cone)...

I like the colors, John. I'm still waiting for the Milledgeville variant to come out.
91152742.jpg

Same here, especially since it appears to be the long-fin version. The Honest John is neat in and of itself, but it would also be an excellent jump-off point for an upscale EAC Firecat (assuming the spin rockets aren't molded into the cone)...

The spin rockets have been molded into every plastic nosecone version of the HoJo I've seen... I don't see why this one would be different. Concealing them shouldn't be too hard though.

The spin rockets have been molded into every plastic nosecone version of the HoJo I've seen... I don't see why this one would be different. Concealing them shouldn't be too hard though.

Well, my Maxi Honest John (BT80 sized) has separate vac-formed spin rockets that are to be cut out and attached, as I recall. I'd have to peak in the box again to be certain. I agree that it makes sense to mold them in if the cone is injection molded. I don't know if blow molding would or wouldn't lend itself to the more complex shape, maybe that's why the Maxi was different. Either way, what I really want is a BT70-based Firecat, so if this is BT60 sized it isn't what I need anyway. But I'd probably still buy two...

Didn't he show something like that at conference some time back? NARAM, maybe? It might not have been 3", but was a larger PSII-sized Honest John, and the description of the fight characteristics sounded very cool. It was just a concept in development at the time, and I was hoping this was the release announcement. We shall see.

Last I had heard, the PSII HoJo was scraped. Something about requiring too much nose weight for stable flight. Maybe they can figure something out in the future.

Lots of parts that builds into an awesome rocket! You've got to add it to your collection!

007236 - ESTES SLV™ Description
Skill Level 4

The ESTES SLV will blast off the launch pad and reach heights of 1000 feet when powered by an E12-4 engine! That's called "extreme altitude". Standing over 34 inches tall, this "Satellite Launch Vehicle" is very impressive on the launch pad and even more so in the sky. High quality body tubes and laser cut wood fins are just some of the outstanding features of this kit.

Technical Specifications

Skill Level 4

Length: 34.2 in. (86.9 cm)
Diameter: 1.33 in. (34 mm)
Estimated Weight: 6.4 oz. (181.4 g)

Laser cut Wood Fins, Waterslide Decal, 18 in. (46 cm) Parachute Recovery

Recommended Engines: C11-3, D12-3, D12-5 (First Flight), *E12-4

Projected Max Altitude: 1000 ft. (305 m)

Estes model rocketry is recommended for ages 10 and up with adult supervision for those under 12. Unless otherwise specified, all models require assembly. Tools, construction and finishing supplies sold separately. In order to launch, a launch system, model rocket engines, starters and recovery wadding are required - sold separately-unless otherwise specified.

*Requires Estes E™ Launch Controller and Porta-Pad E when launching E Engines - sold separately.​

The SLV looks very cool! That is a fun design and really looks great! I like how there is a fin on each outboard booster pod. Six pods, six fins. I like that.

Nice to see a rocket that specificly mentions an E12 in the recommended motors list. Most of the Estes rockets that take E motors seem like they were made for the E9, before the E12, and they may or may not include E12 in the recommended motors list (for awhile they didn't at all, even after the E12 was introduced.) This one specifies E12 and does not mention E9. That's the first time I've seen that.

IIRC Thirsty, its 5 pods and 5 fins from the one I saw last Friday and Saturday. One of the members of our club has one as a beta test, and they fly as good as they look.

It's five fins/pods. John designed a neat jig which is also included in the kit to help align them during construction. It works nicely as mine does not roll while going nice and straight up to about 770 feet on E12-4 (data from AltimeterThree aboard). Here's a picture - but don't be surprised if it comes in sideways. It did when I posted it on YORF, event though it shows up fine on my Mac (it was taken by my iPhone in portrait orientation).

SLV_at_Pasco.jpg

Nice, nice, NICE. I think we have an instant classic, and it's not even released yet, and we didn't even see it. But if somebody brought a zero-day stealth upscale to NARAM in Centuri livery I'd buy 'em a brew :cheers:

IIRC Thirsty, its 5 pods and 5 fins from the one I saw last Friday and Saturday. One of the members of our club has one as a beta test, and they fly as good as they look.

5 pods and 5 fins? Ok, now I don't like it at all! :wink:

It looks like you are probably right. I saw more than 4 and assumed it was 6. It's still at least 83% as cool as I originally thought.

I'm guessing the drag from the fins and pods helps keep the speed and altitude down, which I like. I also like the decals and paint scheme.

It's five fins/pods. John designed a neat jig which is also included in the kit to help align them during construction. It works nicely as mine does not roll while going nice and straight up to about 770 feet on E12-4 (data from AltimeterThree aboard). Here's a picture - but don't be surprised if it comes in sideways. It did when I posted it on YORF, event though it shows up fine on my Mac (it was taken by my iPhone in portrait orientation).

Looks great! The jig sounds like a nice feature.

Thanks, Leo. I just hadn't got around to doing that. I have to do it from a Windows machine since the Mac just shows it right way around pretty much regardless of how I rotate it, or that's what I ran into last time I had a picture that was fine on my phone and my Mac but showed up sideways on Windows.

:)

I tried to follow the face card livery pretty much, but I didn't bother to paint the bells of the five faux booster nozzles red.

Last edited:
The "Coming Soon" webpage on the Estes website now displays the Estes SLV, Goblin, Honest John and Sky Warrior models.

If memory serves, the product description that I didn't see said 1/14 scale, neighborhood of 28 inches tall. A fair bit bigger...

Well the old memory ain't what it used to be. Right scale, way off on length.

The HoJo, at 1:14 would be BT60-based and 23-3/8" long. I was hoping for a PS Series 3"-based kit, but no such luck...

From the "coming Soon" page:

007240 - Honest John Description

Skill Level 3

A highly sought after scale kit has returned to Estes! You asked and we listened. More scale kits and this is just the beginning. The 1/14 scale surface-to-surface missile has kick off the launch pad and is a very high flying rocket! You can expect around 1400 feet of HIGH altitude with the Honest John when powered by an E12-6. You will be pleased with the high quality parts in this kit and it needs to be a part of your collection.

Additional Information

Technical Specifications

Skill Level 3

Length: 22.9 in. (58.2 cm)
Diameter: 1.64 in. (42 mm)
Estimated Weight: 4.4 oz. (124.7 g)

These are some nice-looking kits! SLV and HoJo look great.

Be honest, don't you kind of want to violate the safety code and launch the Sky Warrior straight off the ground, sitting on it's landing legs, with no launch pad or rod? Not that anyone would ever be so irresponsible as to do such a silly thing...

"A highly sought after scale kit has returned to Estes! You asked and we listened. More scale kits and this is just the beginning. " - that sounds exciting!

Is the Goblin a re-release? Looks awfully familiar.

-Hans

Yes.

The first Estes catalog it appeared in was 1972 (The 'landscape' printed one).

Here's a picture of the 'new' Estes Goblin kit. Built and ready to fly. :wink:

Estes Goblin.jpg

Back