French Connections

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
Congratulations to the James Hornsby School for their first place in the UKAYROC challenge and who now go on to represent the UK at the model rocketry challenge at the Paris Air Show. It takes place today and tomorrow and pitches them against the respective winners from France and the UK.

I visited the air show earlier this week and was fascinated by how much effort and emphasis the French government and aerospace industries place on youth rocketry. I don't know how much is placed in the US but the French certainly surpass the UK in youth development. I am guessing, probably the U.S. as well? I was told that French rocketry education begins with the usual "Estes" approach but quickly progresses to mechanical and electronic physics, and industrial aerospace technology.

I visited the aviation and aerospace museum at the Le Bourget show. The remarkable life size replicas of Ariane 1 and 5, the history of French flight and the space centre. The space centre was particularly interesting, an area for youth development and of course a special section for Rosetta and Philae, again with life size replicas (the real ones are a bit busy at the moment). If ever you have the chance to be in Paris I would certainly recommend a visit.

The whole feel of the place emphasised the future but with a reminder of the past and how we got to where we are.
I guess that European space research (through the ESA) is resurgent at the moment, particularly with the success of Rosetta. And it is the week when Philae started charging its batteries again! I think we should applaud the fact that investment in exploration still continues.

So, good luck to the U.S. And France (but not too much) for the rocketry challenge and in particular to the James Hornsby school in bringing home the prize to the UK.

SO.

Back