Estes looks like they are doing a limited sale again... (Father's Day?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just checked, and found that the clearance page has been changed... the 3 RTF rockets and the launch pad has been augmented with the typical members of the PSII line again (1/2 off).

Thanks for the head's up on that. I've already built all four of the PS II kits. OK, I built 2, my 8 y.o. daughter and I built one together, and I built the fourth with a youth group as our group project for June.

I keep hoping that they will add some other rockets back in. At one point they were offering three kits as a package deal for $10 - $3.33 each! I bought a bunch to use with a youth group that I work with. We are just about out, so that kind of sale would come in really handy! And the Hornet or Monarch is a much nicer rocket than the Wizard.

Dang Estes! Crashed my Ventris Titan into a fence on top of the hill when the center motor did not light. Now I need parts to repair it. How do I hide this purchase from the wife!

[McCoy] Dammit Jim, I'm blaming this on you[/McCoy] ;). Because I apparently need another hole in my head, I just ordered an Argent and a Ventris to go with the MRM & Leviathan that are still unbuilt...

Last edited:
I've been keeping my eye on the Clearance from time to time and noticed the sale earlier this morning. The continual surprise for me is how the Leviathan keeps selling out so quickly (already sold out by the time I checked again in the afternoon). I already have two from earlier sales, but what makes the Leviathan so much more desirable...or is it just that Estes doesn't make that many of them? I'd guess it's the first reason...people always seem to like BIGGER! :)

Also the clearance price just keeps going down...last year these 4 PSIIs were on clearance for $27.99 each and even then it seemed like a steal. Estes may be selling them close to a loss, expecting to make more money selling the PSII motors. Still, I think it's a good thing. These PSIIs are almost like creating a new Golden age of Rocketry for us BARs. Years from now we'll be fondly remembering the $22 Leviathan/Ventris/Partizan/Argent we built and flew til the rocket gods took them away. Then we'll look on Z-bay and find it "Buy It Now" for $1000 and jump on it. :D

Where's the Mega Mosquitos, Estes????

(I see that there's a Mega Der Red Max for sale. Does anyone have one? What do you think? Do you recommend the kit? At that price?)

Where's the Mega Mosquitos, Estes????

(I see that there's a Mega Der Red Max for sale. Does anyone have one? What do you think? Do you recommend the kit? At that price?)

*Important Note* If you click on the "Father's Day Specials" ad link from the home page, it actually links you to all the Pro Series II products (look at the destination link)...even ones *not* on sale. You should click on the "$$$ Specials" on the right menu. The Mega Der Red Max and Nike Smoke aren't on sale...that's Estes' regular new "lower" price (that's quite a combo!). Last year Estes had the Mega Mosquito on Special for something like $8.99. They may do it again, but if you want the deal, you should check every once in a while (I have the Specials site as a quick link Favorite, so I check every few days).

Last edited:

Regarding the Mega Der Red Max, I have over hundred rockets (maybe over 200) and maybe ~50 built (a dozen in process as well), but one of my favorites is the Mega Der Red Max. Nice quick build (albeit tricky to work with the giant thin decals), very impressive size and awesome graphics. Non-rocket heads who visit my house always like that one most. I got a lot of compliments on it on it's first launch as well. Low and slow, sturdy and badd. :)

You can get one from Tower Hobbies now for $55.99, shipping is free if you order over $50 (current promo...may not last long) and I have a code for $10 off (Save $10 on any Tower Hobbies order of $50 or more placed on or before 06/20/15. All you have to do to Save $10 is use ad number 5946L).
***EDIT*** I WAS TOLD THIS AD WON'T WORK UNLESS IT WAS SENT TO YOU. DOUG BELOW HAS ANOTHER CODE: "save $8 on $55 (code 011P1)".

So you should be able to get the Mega Max shipped to you for $45.99 (if there aren't any issues with the code...never know since sometimes you have to be a member or something). There is also an "Easy Pay" option, so you can pay in 3 installments through Paypal.

As a side note, Tower has the PSII Nike Smoke as well for $39.99 (I also really like that one), so to use the code, you'll have to add another $10.01 in rocket items (the code was for the rocket site). The Nike Smoke also has an "Easy Pay" option (why I don't know...$40 isn't too much to pay at once instead of installments I would think). Yeah, I'm quite a deal hunter. :kill:

Sorry to go off-topic, but I figured I might as well help some with a deal on the MDRM/Nike Smoke as well. I haven't seen them on Special yet from Estes and ACSupply still lists it on the old retail price, so it's not 40% off the new price (yet).

Last edited:
Dang Estes! Crashed my Ventris Titan into a fence on top of the hill when the center motor did not light. Now I need parts to repair it. How do I hide this purchase from the wife!

1) Read KenECoyote's crazee deal in post above and get one of those rockets instead, otherwise skip to #3
2) Use Easy Pay
3) Pay with Paypal
4) Start grabbing old stuff around the house your wife won't miss and sell on Ebay to pay for Paypal bill...you should be able to get the cash before the bill payment is due.
5) If you don't want to be killed by wife wondering where her fancy-but-rarely-used stand mixer went, just sell some of your old rocket kits on ebay instead.

:)

Last edited:
I also recommend the MDRM - great build and rocket - I got my level 1 with it.

I also have a ventris, leviathan, argent but I really want them to put the Nike Smoke on sale.

As a side note to Ken's side note - I got both my PS2 Nike Smoke ($35) and MDRM ($48) from Hobbylinc. So there are definitely a few options for finding them less than Estes' price if not on special...

As a side note to Ken's side note - I got both my PS2 Nike Smoke ($35) and MDRM ($48) from Hobbylinc. So there are definitely a few options for finding them less than Estes' price if not on special...

Yup! Neo-Golden Age of rocketry here! :)

The starting price at Hobbylinc is lower (plus you get points), but there are shipping charges and the Tower price still ends up lower with all discounts and free ship (I order from Hobbylinc about once every month or two). You can also wait and hope that ACSupply finally sells off their stock of "old" retail price PSII kits and start selling it at 40% off the new lower retail price...I'm still waiting...:p

Also Jonrocket.com has the Nike Smoke for $42.75 free ship and you get points (equivalent to $5 credit for next purchase).

All companies mentioned here are excellent in my experience.

...I really want them to put the Nike Smoke on sale.

I'd say just buy one if you can now...$35 or so is a steal in my opinion since anything else close would cost much more. It includes the chunky-but-effective motor retainer, a nylon chute, decals and that long nosecone. I like the design as well...the fins are heavy plastic and set higher from the end of the rocket, so it seems less prone to breakage. Plus it's an excellent addition to the MDRM since it is the stuff MDRM isn't...it's sleek, fast, a "scale" replica and goes MUCH, MUCH higher on the same motors (you'll have your mouth open after your first launch - mine shot off the pad like a bullet and was waaaay up there on a motor similar to the one I launched the MDRM on). I bought several more after I built my first one with plans on making one a simple (and cheap) Dual Deploy...I felt it was that cool. :cool:

BTW - see my disclaimer in my signature. lol

Last edited:
The coupon code provided only works if they sent it to you, probably via their e-mail list. There is an ad and link for some coupon codes https://www.towerhobbies.com/coupon_codes.html on the site with one being save $8 on $55 (code 011P1). Just picked up a MDRM for $47.99 - no shipping costs.

Doug

Go figure...like I said...it's hard to tell with the coupon codes. Thanks for the update Doug!

Tower generally has unbeatable pricing when you factor in their coupons and free shipping deals. If you go to www.rocketfun.com they have a link for big sale pricing on a number of low power Estes stuff. Most of that selection is boring but there are soome good ones in there if you need to bump your order to over $50 to get the free shipping (rocketfun and tower are one and the same).

Ordered a Leviathan yesterday right before they sold out, seems like I got the last one ;)

Anybody flown for an L1 cert with the Leviathan?

Ordered a Leviathan yesterday right before they sold out, seems like I got the last one ;)

Looking at Rocketreviews flight log for it, at least three flew it on H motors and two were for successful L1 - several recovered very close to pads, but went 2000+'...very impressive. No significant mods disclosed either. I should build mine now...only got as far as opening it and picking it up several times in the past year (as recent as two days ago!). :p

I had one student cert on it (after a failed attempt due to joint failure during a particularly energetic ejection charge) and my son certified on a Ventris. These are an inexpensive option to certify on with only minimal modification. Both flights were in the 2000 foot range and recovered fairly close. You may consider reefing the chute just a little.

Doug

I did. Specifics are posted in one of the Leviathan threads here. No major mods except to make a payload section out of the upper few inches (I like flying altimeters for the data). No epoxy except where called for in the instructions (attaching the motor retainer only).

Money orders are great, BUT.....the item still arrives at your door for the wife to find out. I was at work and checked tracking on a package and it said delivered.
I get home and my package is missing from the porch. Wife says "We got a package sitting over there that just arrived. what did you buy for my anniversary?" ..:-(

Money orders are great, BUT.....the item still arrives at your door for the wife to find out. I was at work and checked tracking on a package and it said delivered.
I get home and my package is missing from the porch. Wife says "We got a package sitting over there that just arrived. what did you buy for my anniversary?" ..:-(

I hope you have a dog; you might be sleeping in the dog house on your anniversary unless you already have bought her something nice.

I've been known to send things to addresses of sympathetic friends rather than home. It's the smuggling the thing inside that's the problem after it arrives.

Hopefully you've got a dog, and you wife takes it for walks in the evening. That makes for easy operations.

Your package is due to arrive tomorrow on your door step..YES! Out of the blue, your wife says: Honey, we haven't been to Vegas in a while. Lets rent a hotel room and stay a couple of nights. How can you possibly enjoy a relaxing trip while your tall rocket tube package and expensive electronics are standing up obvious on the porch over the weekend. My wife is famous for that and happens frequently.

This hobby is so cheap, you guys have to hide $30 rocket purchases? :rofl:

Maybe Im spoiled. :)

When you get a new toy, get her something too ;)

This hobby is so cheap, you guys have to hide $30 rocket purchases? :rofl:

Maybe Im spoiled. :)

When you get a new toy, get her something too ;)

It's not the $30 rockets that get you --- it's the $500 in motors you burn in one weekend.

People have done it. The only required modification is to leave the motor block out so that an H motor will fit in it. Typically people also upgrade the recovery gear a bit too. The Leviathan will go really high on even a baby H, so there's a chance of losing it. To keep from risking motor hardware or just to keep your investment down, I'd recommend an Aerotech DMS motor --- no hardware to buy, and you have the ability to set your delay. There's something very attractive about an L1 rocket for $22.50 flying a cert flight on a $29 single use motor! Go for it!

Your package is due to arrive tomorrow on your door step..YES! Out of the blue, your wife says: Honey, we haven't been to Vegas in a while. Lets rent a hotel room and stay a couple of nights. How can you possibly enjoy a relaxing trip while your tall rocket tube package and expensive electronics are standing up obvious on the porch over the weekend. My wife is famous for that and happens frequently.

Beat her to the punchline... Suggest Vegas BEFORE ordering... When she declines, then you can order with confidence and "make other plans".

Back