Eggtimer Quark - A $20 Simple Dual Deployment Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the Eggtimer Quark, a simple dual-deployment controller. For only $20 you get:

o Two deployment channels, Main and Drogue.
o Options set using simple jumpers, no computer required to change settings.
o Default is to fire the Main at 500' and the Drogue at nose-over.
o Main deployment altitude configurable to 300', 500', 800', and 1000'.
o Drogue configurable for nose-over or +1 second (for backup use).
o Beeps out apogee at landing and when you power it up.
o Fully mach-immune, no delays or other fiddling.
o Output channel test capability so you can test YOUR battery with YOUR igniters.
o Serial output port for testing baro sensor.
o Altitude samples are sent out the serial port during flight, can be used with the Eggtimer Telemetry Module (available soon) to send real-time altitude data to a computer or Eggfinder receiver.
o Only 1.85" x .75", weighs about 5 grams. Fits great in a BT50/24mm tube.
o Works with any battery from a 1S/3.7V LiPo up to a 4S/14.8V LiPo; perfect for 9V alkaline batteries and Q2G2 igniters.
o Uses the signature Eggtimer Rocketry optoisolated bipolar power transistor output drivers, can handle just about any ematch you could think of using.

Like other Eggtimer Rocketry products we sell it as a kit, so you will have to solder it together. It's mostly surface-mount parts so we recommend that you have some previous experience with this sort of thing, but we made the pads oversize and include special extra-fine low-temperature solder to make it easier.

Availability should be early July. You can read all about it at https://eggtimerrocketry.com/page43.php

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry
https://EggtimerRocketry.com

Last edited:
This is great! Can't wait to pick up one (or more).

Saw a prototype at ROCStock, very nice! 5gm dual deploy altimeter for $20, pair this with a TRS and you have a fully redundant alitmeter/deploy/GPS tracker system for under $150 that will fit easily on a 6" long sled.

Chris does it again! I woulda bought one on the spot but settled for the remote switch. Note the baro sensor is already mounted for you. Now that it's too hot to fly, time to break out the soldering iron. +1 for what Caveduck sez!!!

Cris,,
You're really hittin it man.....
Good for you....
I have so much of your stuff
it has taken over a section of my work bench....lol....

Teddy

So the primary difference between the quark and the eggtimer is that the eggtimer is fully configurable and will log data from the flight, correct? Eggtimer also could be used for servos,etc.

Sounds like a fair comparison would be the rrc2+.

I'm pretty sure i will be picking up a couple of these when they're ready!

Looking forward to the telemetry module as well!

-e

So the primary difference between the quark and the eggtimer is that the eggtimer is fully configurable and will log data from the flight, correct? Eggtimer also could be used for servos,etc.

Sounds like a fair comparison would be the rrc2+.

I'm pretty sure i will be picking up a couple of these when they're ready!

Looking forward to the telemetry module as well!

-e

That is correct. The Quark is meant to be a simple dual-deployment controller, bare-bones. Set the jumpers and you're ready to fly (assuming you need any, which most of the time you won't). The Eggtimer has a lot more deployment options, handles airstarts, logs your flight data, and has three expansion outputs. The Quark is much smaller than the Eggtimer too... you can mount a Quark with a Featherweight screw switch and a 100 mAH 1S LiPo on a sled that's barely over 2" long if you mount the battery on the opposite side of the sled from the Quark.

There are 12 resistors and 4 caps. It's all SMT parts so there are numbers, not colors. I'm NOT colorblind and I still have issues with the color bands... especially with 1/8W resistors.

I'll be getting some! perfect backup or sport flyer altimeter!

Cris- Take notes, brother-you are gonna sell a ton of these. When that next board comes in-look it over and then place a massive order! See you on the field! Looks like my next MD bird will have all my 'eggs' in one basket!

There are 12 resistors and 4 caps. It's all SMT parts so there are numbers, not colors. I'm NOT colorblind and I still have issues with the color bands... especially with 1/8W resistors.

I might be up to this one. Last thing I built was a Radio Shack timer kit 15 years ago :p

Pretty stoked for the offering! Just got both my Eggtimers set up and ready for Hellfire XX. I'm pleased that the eggtimer that rode the rocket from 800' into the salt without a 'chute is unharmed and happy to fly again. Such awesome computers. It will be nice to have a simple sport model now.
-Ken

Aesome. So, compared to mounting the GPS chip on the eggfinder, how easy is the Quark to assemble?

I think it is time to figure out why my soldering station quit working.

Last edited:
Aesome. So, compared to mounting the GPS chip on the eggfinder, how easy is the Quark to assemble?

I think it is time to figure out why my soldering station quit working.
A few years ago I spent a good half hour checking continuity on components until I looked behind me and there were the black wires about a foot and a half from the white junction box on the wall...I had too much resistance....

A few years ago I spent a good half hour checking continuity on components until I looked behind me and there were the black wires about a foot and a half from the white junction box on the wall...I had too much resistance....

Talk about an exercise in futility....

FYI, I'm releasing the PayPal invoices that were held, the boards will be here tomorrow or Friday and with a little luck we'll be shipping Quarks out on Monday.

Preliminary assembly and operating docs are posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site. The final docs will be posted when I get the production boards (should be tomorrow) and can take some build pictures.

great.. I just placed an order for two. Can't wait for a smaller eggtimer!

Honestly, the only time I have hooked my eggtimers up to my computer is to set them up. So if I can get smaller, woo hoo!

Is Connor going to be assembling these post-sale?

I believe he said he would. I remember him posting he'd do the first one for free for the first person who sent one to him so he would get acclimated to the build.
The instructions are up on the website but not the construction photos just yet. https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page51.php

Kurt

Back