Eggtimer Quark - A $20 Simple Dual Deployment Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic for reference from the manual .

Insert picture here..I think Cris is not fond of the Terminal Blocks, but I could be wrong.

Also Fyrwrxz Dave has Superman eyes so he may get the nod to solder but will bring my supplies over just in case.

https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page51.php

Some quick observations - #2 screws for mounting and no switch blocks - so may have to burn a pair of JST connectors whips back to back to insert a break for a switch . Also it is suggested to servo tape to sled as a mount - think if I don't do the blasted terminal blocks may tape the batt to the alt and use my nylon stand offs upside down to mount to a sled ..think they have 4/40 standoff threaded part even on the 2/56 standoffs so we'll see . Can we enlarge the holes on the quark slightly if we don't try to do a screw head or nut on the top ?

Kenny

QuarkFu.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for your hard work on these products. I just finished another Eggfinder tonight. It is nice to see people gaining new interests in building all aspects of their project.
Have you considered doing a very small RF TX Transmitter?

Have you considered doing a very small RF TX Transmitter?

I did until I started using GPS. It's SOOO much easier than foxhunting... and there are so many beacon transmitters out there that I don't think I could do anything that would differentiate whatever I would make from everybody else's products.

First batch of Quarks went out yesterday, parts are due in today for the rest of them.

Replaced my dead (but cheap) soldering station, printed a vise to hold the circuit board. I am good to go! Bring on the kits!

that is something you don't hear often..' Printed a Vise '

Kenny

that is something you don't hear often..' Printed a Vise '

Kenny

Well ya know, I don't need a fill size iron vise to hold a circuit board. And having just built a 3D printer, I took it as an excuse to make a vise just for hold these small boards while soldering parts on. so yup... "printed a vise"

quark.jpg
First batch of Quarks went out yesterday, parts are due in today for the rest of them.

Just finished my first Quark kit. Much easier than it looks. Plan to fly it next week in Tampa. This is a great product because it fills a void in the market. Looks like it will fit in as small as an 18mm, very simple and the cost, well……... Having the ability to hardwire allows for a very compact installation. I have thought about trying to remove the terminal blocks on other units for that reason. Just ordered two more.

Thanks Chris

View attachment 267289

Just finished my first Quark kit. Much easier than it looks. Plan to fly it next week in Tampa. This is a great product because it fills a void in the market. Looks like it will fit in as small as an 18mm, very simple and the cost, well……... Having the ability to hardwire allows for a very compact installation. I have thought about trying to remove the terminal blocks on other units for that reason. Just ordered two more.

Thanks Chris

Mine are stuck in shipping. Glad to hear that they are as easy to assemble as you said!

The resistors on the Quark are easier than the GPS module. Just use the tack and flow method.

Got one done yesterday and works fine. Did ematch test routine with the jumper maneuver and works. I really like the flight ready beep with the ET devices. Nice warbling sound. Don't have to worry about counting beeps although if one hears a "countable"
beeping, it's the indication not to fly and which channel the fault is on. I succumbed and put screw terminals on the deployment channels. They fit and just touch the output transistors. Kurt

Chris, I know you have been busy supporting the Quark product, but have you come up with the modification that allows for auto start on the Eggfinder?

Those EEV blog videos on soldering are great. My son loves that guy. I’d also recommend looking at the hot air solder gun he reviewed for SMD work [video=youtube;vva2t21sOAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vva2t21sOAs[/video]

I picked up one off eBay for $38 to make it easier putting together s a few Eggtimer Remote Switch kits. A syringe of solder paste and that hot air gun make SMDs as fast and easy as though hole mount components! I can’t say enough about how much pain that tool saved me compared to what I would have gone through using a soldering iron.

Karl

Last edited:
Chris, I know you have been busy supporting the Quark product, but have you come up with the modification that allows for auto start on the Eggfinder?

I'll put something up on the web site when I get a chance... whenever that is. It involves omitting/removing a number of components and adding a jumper wire, so it's easier to do it as a build option rather than a retrofit so you don't have to unsolder anything.

I'll put something up on the web site when I get a chance... whenever that is. It involves omitting/removing a number of components and adding a jumper wire, so it's easier to do it as a build option rather than a retrofit so you don't have to unsolder anything.

Ummmmm,

One way to do it is dork your GPS receiver building the EF:bangpan: and substituting another. Out of necessity, (ie. torn pads) I discovered
that just connecting the signal out to one pad where the Maestro used to sit and power the "outboard" GPS with the 3.3V output from the EF. That's the ground connection there.

Only issue is the timing is a little off so the EF LCD will miss-report the number of satellites and the program GPS rocket locator is completely screwed up as far as altitude reporting is concerned. The raw NMEA strings are accurate but GPSRL can't read it accurately.
The lat/long from outboard GPS receivers are spot on and shown on the map fine and the altitude is accurately read in other utilities.

With some Android devices, they can bond via B/T to the EF receiver if so equipped and use the incoming data as if it is that of the internal GPS of the Android unit. It's called "Mock Locations" A couple of Android apps like B/T GPS can read the incoming data from an "outboard" EF GPS receiver nominally including the altitude.

I had an EF sitting in a junk pile I resurrected just for fun. I discovered with the battery plugged in or placed on a switch, the unit can be turned on/off without having to push the "activate" button. Was able to try 3 different Ublox GPS receivers in this fashion.

Kurt

Thanks Chris. I'm saving the last kit you shipped me for that build.

has anyone put a terminal block on their Quark? What pitch does it need for the pins?

Cris, any reason why the terminal blocks can't be installed on the top side of the board?

I am curious also..we have 4 termainal blocks and 4 quarks to build and would prefer to use the blocks

Kenny

You need a 4-pin .150" (3.81 mm) terminal block.

Thank you, that confirms my estimate.

I agree with the idea of not moving this from rocket to rocket and I purchased my quarks with particular rockets in mind. So why would I want terminals blocks?

I don't have a lot of space on a 38mm end cap if I add a charge well to also have a terminal there. It might be better to pass the igniter wire through the end cap and connect directly to the altimeter.

has anyone put a terminal block on their Quark? What pitch does it need for the pins?

Yes and the pitch is the 3.81mm like posted. The two pin blocks can be locked together. You don't have to get 4 pin blocks. Lock two together and push on the board and solder.

Yes, the blocks can be mounted on the topside of the board. Take into account the screw mounting option and clearance.

Ebay is where I got mine. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-300...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b082be772

Yes, those that are going to cram a Quark into a small space might want to do a different connection arrangement.

Kurt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back