Eggtimer Quark - A $20 Simple Dual Deployment Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and the pitch is the 3.81mm like posted. The two pin blocks can be locked together. You don't have to get 4 pin blocks. Lock two together and push on the board and solder.

Yes, the blocks can be mounted on the topside of the board. Take into account the screw mounting option and clearance.

Ebay is where I got mine. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-300...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b082be772

Yes, those that are going to cram a Quark into a small space might want to do a different connection arrangement.

Kurt

If that 9mm height is accurate,it should fit. But I think I will end up printing a slightly thinner bed and with shorter standoffs. If I can shave 1.5 mm off of the bed, I should be able to make those work. They look like the standard terminal connection, I doubt I will find much shorter.

Just ordered a Quark.

And a hat tip / thank you to the Eggmaestro, I tried to BUY a TRS transistor for one I fried, but he wouldn't let me. Wonderful, wonderful customer service!

Just ordered a Quark.

And a hat tip / thank you to the Eggmaestro, I tried to BUY a TRS transistor for one I fried, but he wouldn't let me. Wonderful, wonderful customer service!

Just be careful when getting the components out of the carrier strips. That's why I build in a clear pyrex baking dish. You don't want to flip them.

Download/save the build photos in a numbered fashion. Have the instructions on a laptop in Adobe and a viewer program for the photos you've saved. You can read the instructions, minimize Adobe reader and refer to the corresponding photo
on the step you are building. You can blow up the pics and even get an idea of the orientation marks on some of the chips. Install the resistors with the ID numbers up so you can read them "just in case".
Get the smallest tipped soldering iron, tin a pad, tack the component down, let cool, apply solder to the other side, let cool then add a little more solder to the "tacked" side for security and connection. Head magnifier is essential. Kurt

Just ordered a Quark.

Cris knows that almost everyone who see these GPS work at a launch end up seeking him out for a purchase soon after.

I saw JusRockets fly his at Springfest and I purchased at the next event.

Kenny

Cris knows that almost everyone who see these GPS work at a launch end up seeking him out for a purchase soon after.

I saw JusRockets fly his at Springfest and I purchased at the next event.

Kenny

I would go so far to say it's "revolutionary" as far as GPS tracking goes.:grin::gavel: Kurt

I would go so far to say it's "revolutionary" as far as GPS tracking goes.:grin::gavel: Kurt

It revolved my brain a few times getting the hang of the operation of the TRS, but even I could ride that horse.
After your rocket dissappears into the blue/grey sky, it is cool to be able to watch the altitude and lat/lon change. You can "see" when apogee deployment occurs on screen. I fly drogueless, so there is little chance of seeing my rockets fall if they go out of sight, but with the TRS, I get a general idea of where to look in the sky, and I have been able to see the main deployment.

It revolved my brain a few times getting the hang of the operation of the TRS, but even I could ride that horse.
After your rocket dissappears into the blue/grey sky, it is cool to be able to watch the altitude and lat/lon change. You can "see" when apogee deployment occurs on screen. I fly drogueless, so there is little chance of seeing my rockets fall if they go out of sight, but with the TRS, I get a general idea of where to look in the sky, and I have been able to see the main deployment.

When my L2 flight went straight up out of sight the first ba ding from the rocket locator app after a long pause was amazing. Seeing over 4k meters was even more amazing, and watching its path down, knowing where it was, was amazing. I knew exactly where to look and saw the main open. I just put my quark together. Terminal block will be here Saturday from digikey.

Super stoked about getting my Quark soon. Anyone know if it's possible to add a LED to flash in time with buzzer?

Has anyone done this? Would like visual read out as I don't always hear buzzers like these.

Thanks!

You should be able to add one in parallel with the buzzer, you may want to add a 1K dropping resistor, and watch the polarity of course.

built and tested in my vacuum test setup, nice little unit.
xeYGjpi7LXQivt08IRM9GFnSxYkUR5P8Gsx40vvNVXc=w1228-h921-no

Last edited:
Got mine built and tested last night! No issues, and pretty straight forward directions. Thanks. It'll fly this fall.

Hey Juan.. you are always way ahead of us on the eGG products.

Coming out to Vegas or Lucerne again?

Kenny

Hey kenny, I don't think I will make it this year. I am spoiled with a 50K waiver an hour away from where I live.

Can you repost the pic? Did you mount the through the wall on top or all on the bottom ?

Kenny

was the pic not showing? Is it now? I mounted everything on top. I tested the unit with a 2C lipo and christmas light bulbs.

Hey kenny, I don't think I will make it this year. I am spoiled with a 50K waiver an hour away from where I live.

WHAT.....
Oh man am I drooling...
That's really cool...
When you set up a rocket most often the waiver and projected apogee isn't even on your mind...
Good for you man...
That's really cool...

Teddy

Let me know when you're going out there, maybe I can tag along. I don't trust my car way out there... especially on the "road" from Aguila to the launch site.

Let me know when you're going out there, maybe I can tag along. I don't trust my car way out there... especially on the "road" from Aguila to the launch site.

Will do !

Nothing scheduled yet, but assume it will be between the major launches we try to attend , we want to go to Octoberfest in Las Vegas also .

Kenny

The quark absolutely works great. Used it at Airfest as a backup with no problems. Love the simplicity of it.

I flew my first successful DD flight today on a quark, to a mighty 718 feet with my rocketry warehouse scarab. Worked great, and i'll probably triple that altitude tomorrow if the weather is good.

I just ordered a pair of these! My plan is to put one of these in each of my DD rockets as a backup and then to transfer more expensive logging altimeters between rockets as needed. It is my first eggtimer product, so I am looking forward to assembling them!

Back