New Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekipp

Reaction score
Up until now I've been launching rockets with weights less than 8 ounces. the heaviest with an engine was our High Flyer XL. For that I was using an Estes Porta Pad E. I had also made a pad out of PVC Pipe. I was going to use the PVC pad with the 4 Ft. Aluminum rod that came with the Porta Pad E to launch the Mega Der Red Max.

It was funny because as soon as I put the rocket on the pad in the garage it rod stared to bend and the 1.5" plastic tube had enough flex in it to make me very uncomfortable. Off to Lowes we went.
I purchased a 1/4" x 6' steel rod, a 2"x4" x 8' stud and two pipe clamps. At home I had a spare corner bracket from a wood gate and some scrap 1" ply wood and deck screws.

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0044.jpg

As you can see I forgot a blast deflector. I've got some scrap 1/8" aluminum in the garage that I'll make something out of. I was fortunate that the blast was against the forward part of the bracket.

The result was a launch pad that fits in the back of the wife's SUV with the rod removed. The vertical triangle has two holes that I can later use to mount a removable rail to. So for $10 I have a launch pad that will hold most anything that will launch anything for the near future.

Thanks
Joe Kipp

Nice and low. Even as tall as I am (6' 1") a long rod on a tall pad means tipping the pad over to guide the rocket launch lug onto the rod. A low pad like that means I can put a rocket on the rod even if it's a 6 foot rod. :)

Up until now I've been launching rockets with weights less than 8 ounces. the heaviest with an engine was our High Flyer XL. For that I was using an Estes Porta Pad E. I had also made a pad out of PVC Pipe. I was going to use the PVC pad with the 4 Ft. Aluminum rod that came with the Porta Pad E to launch the Mega Der Red Max.

It was funny because as soon as I put the rocket on the pad in the garage it rod stared to bend and the 1.5" plastic tube had enough flex in it to make me very uncomfortable. Off to Lowes we went.
I purchased a 1/4" x 6' steel rod, a 2"x4" x 8' stud and two pipe clamps. At home I had a spare corner bracket from a wood gate and some scrap 1" ply wood and deck screws.

View attachment 265584View attachment 265583

As you can see I forgot a blast deflector. I've got some scrap 1/8" aluminum in the garage that I'll make something out of. I was fortunate that the blast was against the forward part of the bracket.

The result was a launch pad that fits in the back of the wife's SUV with the rod removed. The vertical triangle has two holes that I can later use to mount a removable rail to. So for $10 I have a launch pad that will hold most anything that will launch anything for the near future.

Thanks
Joe Kipp
I would recommend a scrap steel blast detector. You'd be surprised how quickly you will blow a hole in aluminum.......even with a BP motor......

Bob

Did anyone from Estes ever tell you the story of the salesman who visited to discuss blast deflectors/coatings? IIRC, they fixed a C motor to fire right at the sample and it burned through like a cutting torch. The impression I got was that the salesman left like one of those people running/driving away from the Munsters. (I'm sure the story has been altered to make it more entertaining, but you are correct, thick steel is needed and a ceramic tile or a flower pot is also a good idea - and cheap).

I would recommend a scrap steel blast detector. You'd be surprised how quickly you will blow a hole in aluminum.......even with a BP motor......

Bob

Ceramic tile is the best, hands down. Takes the heat, cheap to replace if you break one, and won't short out the clips.

Oh, and hey, nice stand! I'll echo the comment about reaching the top of a 6' rod... I've only had to deal with it once, but on my sawhorse-style rack I have to tip it down to use it.

Ceramic tile is the best, hands down. Takes the heat, cheap to replace if you break one, and won't short out the clips.

Oh, and hey, nice stand! I'll echo the comment about reaching the top of a 6' rod... I've only had to deal with it once, but on my sawhorse-style rack I have to tip it down to use it.
Using tile is a great idea!

Thanks! Here's a picture from Sunday's launch that shows one of the launch positions close up. Tile is absolutely the best blast deflector.

20150712-002-small.jpg

Back