50g instrument payload

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkion

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

for a university project I need to send some instruments that weigh 50g, altitude is not critical since this serves mostly to test that the instruments work correctly and can survive a launch (but if it can be adapted for higher altitudes that's a plus). Can someone recommend a kit, or some guidelines to help chose one. I've never built a rocket, but I have some colleagues with experience.

Thanks in advance!

Orkion, there are a lot of guys on this forum that can point you in the right direction, but we need more information. Does the unit need to transmit information to the ground while in flight, or can the rocket be recovered on the ground and the information downloaded? Do you need to scratch build the unit or are prebuilt commercial units ok? Are there guidelines as to what kind of information you need to collect? As "Random Flying Object" asked, what are the size limitations? Where are you located? Many rocket clubs work with university teams to provide launch facilities and equipment, and any help that is needed or allowed. Most of the time university projects have a detailed list of requirments, what are they?

Many of the altimeter units that are used by the model rocket community for example give a great deal of information, and may meet your needs.

Tell us more, and someone will be able to help.

Mike

Well, thanks for the quick replies! I plan on sending data to the ground, but the antenna should be able to transmit even within the rocket, we also have data logging on an micro sd card, pre-buit rockets are ok, the data is GPS position, rocket attitude (accelerometers and gyros) and atmospheric data, the size of the instrument is about 5 cubic centimeters. The objective is to create a standard onboard set of instruments to be used in future launches, but before committing to some sensors we are testing them in breakout boards. I'm in IST in Lisbon, Portugal, the local rocket enthusiasts only have experience with smaller rockets, and a secondary objective of the project would be to actually create a university rocket club (which would the used the miniaturized version of the used sensors). We have access to most rocket shops in the EU. Thanks again!

If reloadable motors are available I would recommend an Estes Leviathan or Ventris. They use 29mm motors (F, G, H and I power) and have lots of payload room. Easy to build and a wide altitude range with all the available motors.
With the small payload size you could probably use a Big Bertha or Big Betty with a 24mm motor mount. You might need to extend the airframe tube a bit, ~8-12cm. Kits and motors are much less expensive than the 29mm rockets.
Be careful. One you start, it's very difficult to kick the rocket habit.

Not to complicate things, but 50g is not a big deal for mid power. https://www.thrustcurve.org/motorguide.jsp helps a lot. I just plugged 200 grams in with 24mm and 29mm mounts and you have dozens of motors to choose from for a rocket that is 51mm in diameter. make a soundly built rocket, 2" diameter, 3 feet long or more, total 150g, with room to mount your payload at the forward part of the rocket and you could probably not go wrong with just about anything if it is stable to begin with. Mid power in 3" diameter would narrow your choices a bit. If a kit catches your eye and it does not have a payload section, buy an additional coupler in that diameter and go to town with an exacto blade, some cardboard, and some glue. This is not rocket science. Oh wait it is rocket science!

Last edited:
Back