Question: Aviation Flight Lanes and Approach Maps?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Hi,

I live near two very busy Airports for small to medium sized Aircrafts.

Does anyone know of an online resource which can show you Air lanes and Approach Paths? We were looking to launch in an area recently thought to be away from incoming aircraft and this wasn't the case.

Is their a Primary provider for Aviation Maps for example?

Thanks

Alex

My suggestion would be to contact the managers at the two airports and chat with them about your launch site plans. Airports usually have a website with contact information for the management. If you need help finding this info, post back here and I expect that somebody will help you locate the contact info.

Thanks Will,

We were prepping a launch in a area thought to be out of the way when several Aircraft passed over at low altitude. We live in Farnborough in the UK and it is an area with many small and medium Airstrips.

Don't fancy being added to a terrorism watch list!!!!!!!

I'll enquire direct.

Alex

Do you want me to move this thread over to the UK rocketry section, Alex? That may trigger responses from the UK members of the forum.

If you are living near Farnborough and that is what consider an airport for small/medium sized aircraft, suggest you contact the CAA or UK MOD before launching anything! And definately don't even look at a rocket during air show time.
You may also want to refer to UK Rocketry Association Safety Codes which recommends you do not launch within 5km of a commercially operating airfield.

Good luck.

SO.

https://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/ead...s/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGLF_5-1_en_2015-03-05.pdf is probably the chart you are looking for. It can be found here. https://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/publ...ntent&task=blogcategory&id=68&Itemid=117.html

This chart provides controlled airspace information but it does not imply that you have any permission or approval to launch any rockets within the chart area.
We could provide you with contact information and regulations for US activities, however we have no knowledge of the UK regulations or contacts. It is not for you to decide when and where you can launch. You are obligated to know, understand and comply with the UK rocketry regulations, and UK aviation regulations. I would suggest you consult UKRA and other UK based rocketry associations if you do not know what the regulations are. I would also suggest that you consult with the airport air traffic control as to the local regulations. You may be required to notify them prior to your activities or to obtain their permission/consent/approval prior to any launch activity.

Bob Krech

I am not familiar with ICAO charts, but just looking at Sky Vector and the ICAO minimum altitude chart, I strongly recommend contacting the airport authority and UKRA. The airspace surrounding Farnborough appears be a bit complicated and is in close proximity to Heathrow. I would hazard a guess that there are quite a few areas in the vicinity that are certainly safe to about 600m (2k feet) and you may be able to gain permission for higher. The challenge in this area is to pinpoint where these locations are. SE of the field appears to have the fewest challenges.

The above assessment is provided from the perspective one of those guys-in-back. I am not a pilot, I sit in back, shoot back, try to keep the stick wigglers from breaking my baby and fix her when they don't treat her nice.

Back