Flight Computer Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Besides the AV Bays and Rockets, what do you store your flight computers in? I am looking for options.

Mine just stay mounted on their sleds Chuck.....
I'm not understanding what you need...
How about an ammo can....
Very inexpensive...
Very strong...
Line with foam,, very safe for the electronics.....
Very easy to get them.....

Teddy

If they're not mounted, I store mine in their anti-static bag in one of those cardboard boxes Jim Amos ships his electronics in.

Most of mine live in their respective rocket's AV bays.

That said, I do usually have a Raven mounted on its Featherweight AV components that lives in my range box. I put that into an old pill jar, which it just happens to fit in with little play - nice and solid protection for it so I can just huck that into the range box without worry.

If I happen to have another altimeter or two that are "loose/free", I generally just wrap them in whatever piece of cloth of foam I've got laying around and stuff it into a corner of the range box.

So, nothing fancy, but I've never had problems with this approach.

s6

Loose ones go in anti-static bags.

Those mounted on sleds may be in rocket or if my universal sleds, [go in several rockets] will fit in large anti-static bag. Sled & all.

Save the silver bags that 54mm AT reloads come in, they are anti-static. Cut them open on end with scissors . Even my largest sleds & mounted electronics will fit in them. They then, get stacked in my tool box.....just for altimeters, which also contains screwdrivers, shear pins, trackers, batteries,etc. Basically all electronics & the associated gear that goes with them

I rotate my electronics among my rockets. I Started storing them in electronic board boxes. I was just looking to see if someone one has another option.

I use anti static bags holding a single altimeter in each. They are inserted into a box with foam. That being said, all are currently mounted on sleds as I am working on an av bay.

Yep, silver anti stat bags, the foam from computer or electronic component packaging, etc. Don't forget the warning of exposing the actual altimeter component to direct sunlight or too much dust.

Loose ones go in anti-static bags.

Those mounted on sleds may be in rocket or if my universal sleds, [go in several rockets] will fit in large anti-static bag. Sled & all.

Save the silver bags that 54mm AT reloads come in, they are anti-static. Cut them open on end with scissors . Even my largest sleds & mounted electronics will fit in them. They then, get stacked in my tool box.....just for altimeters, which also contains screwdrivers, shear pins, trackers, batteries,etc. Basically all electronics & the associated gear that goes with them

I always put loose altimeters in the pink anti static bags...
It never dawned on me that the silver Aerotech bag was anti static as well...
What a great idea...........

Tanx Jim.........

Teddy

I store mine for the field on the sleds. I have 4 or 5 plastic tool boxes from Home Depot. AV bays, bp, e-matches, batteries, etc .....all that is needed to load and ready an alternative bay in one toolbox,
One box for hand and grinding tools, one for my supply of ignites and e-matches, one for all the small CTI 54 reloads & cases CTI 38mm motor stuff

Last edited:
I have a 3 ' plastic box for 54mm larger cases & reloads, everything in that box to load and clean motors. I have the plastic hand carry cases with clear lids and dividers, one for all the 54mm snap ring hdw, another for 75mm hdw. I get tired of searching though tubs to find stuff, trying to get better organized.

Plano box is where I throw all the electronics not attached to a sled. But most are on a sled already...

Later!

--Coop

Back