17 launches in 4 min!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John VH:
Very Nice Video:
I feel I must remind you: the Model Rocket Safety Code Requires a 5sec countdown before launch Not 3. Regardless of how much you talk before the countdown 5 secs is the rule.
Thanks for sharing the excellent launches Hope you'll remember when posting videos others seeing it will emulate what you are doing so lets keep the countdown clock set a 5 seconds.

I do not believe that is in the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

I do not believe that is in the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

Well Yes in the very latest the safety code only say "I will use a countdown" However that countdown has been 5 seconds since the original Safety code was written in the 60's. 5 seconds is the standard! Safety first always!

Last edited:
I once did 2 high power rockets in less than 5 minutes with the same rocket. Low power launch, rocket loaded with H238 loads. Rocket met FAR 101 rules. The launches were televised on local NBC channel 7 Saturday morning remote weather report of Larry Gebert's morning show. First launch returned to within 100 feet of the pad, Yaaaa, and then the frantic cleaning and reload of the second H238. We had it on the pad in time for the second launch :)

Those launches attended by Larry Gebert increased the number of flyers in the club a good deal by showing those that were interested in hi power where this was happening. A couple of guys jumped in their cars and raced out Pleasant Valley Road to find us...they still fly with the club :)

Well Yes in the very latest the safety code only say "I will use a countdown" However that countdown has been 5 seconds since the original Safety code was written in the 60's. 5 seconds is the standard! Safety first always!

I have to say that is not how I see it.

The Safety Code has evolved over the years in a number of ways, so saying that it has always been done a certain way may not apply.

The 3 second countdown in the video meets the exact letter and intent of the current safety code.

Their was no safety code violation.

I see zero difference in relative safety between a 3 second count down and a 5 second count down.

Nothing wroing with having a longer one if you weant to, but no need to try to make everyone do it.

Technique. Not a standard. Not written in the safety code. 3 seconds is fine.

FC

Where were you and Ryan flying from?

It certainly was a beautiful day to fly, and we had a pretty low turnout up at the Raceway.....

Where were you and Ryan flying from?

It certainly was a beautiful day to fly, and we had a pretty low turnout up at the Raceway.....
this was last week up near Bellingham. I'm at a horse show this weekend with my wife, couldn't sneak away either for the Raceway. The next raceway launch that I can make, I'll be there.

Back