Playin' With Fire 2.0 - "Flight"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you decided what day you will light this off? I am available to help if you need some hands.

Thanks guys! I'm sad I'll have to miss hellfire this year.

Have you decided what day you will light this off? I am available to help if you need some hands.

Im thinking Saturday, or late friday if my 54 goes well. I'll need all the help I can get!

Alex

Boom Boom.

DSC06659.jpg

Full flight report tomorrow.

Alex

So looking at the beginning of the thread... This was another of Manny's motors, right?

Sorry about that Alex. BTW, your actual altitude, but not the hoped-for altitude, was within the waiver at Hellfire. And it looks almost as spectacular as the N cato we had on Saturday. Looking forward to hearing about what you learned.

Joe

Like D64 said, that pretty much was the flight report.
I planned to fly saturday, but leaving the forward closure in the hotel room never helps. Sunday morning Manny and I got up bright and early to get this flight in as soon as possible. Weather looked terrible, but we didn't drive all the way out there to NOT fly. The rest is best left to the video.
[video=youtube;HNrA92izTyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNrA92izTyA[/video]

We think the cause was bubbles in the propellant caused in a step in the propellant processing. It may be the same failure mode as Manny's since he cast both my N and his O in the same batches.
All in all I had a really great time at Aeronaut, so I wasn't too upset with the failure. Nowhere to go but up after this (take that as a pun if you want to).

Anyway, this project couldn't have been possible without a ton of people. Huge thanks to Manny of course for spending all the time and money to make a motor, use his case, drive out with me and assemble the motor. Also, huge thanks to Chris Atteberry for lending us his tower and being so nice to all of us young guys the whole weekend. Thanks to all the guys out there who helped me Prep (Kyle, Steve, and the rest of the USTR guys), Thanks to Tony for donating the O-rings. We forgot them and were *This* close to not flying at all. Also, thanks to Aeropac for hosting Aeronaut. Great launch.

I'll post a little more later.

Alex

Looks a bit breezy out there, no? (0:21-0:24).
What's up with the farmer tan? (0:02).

Love your projects, successes and "failures" alike - bold, interesting, and fun. Keep building and flying them (and keep sharing them here).

s6

No problem Alex. The tower is still in pretty good shape. That was about as extreme of a stress test as I can think of. Hopefully you guys can get the motor issues worked out and show us how it's done next year. It was nice meeting you all and putting faces to all of your TRF handles.

Nice video, though I can't tell if those are censored explicatives or just beeps from the tracker. ;)

^^ Haha yep!

That CATO shot is most impressive!

HellFire 20 was amazing!

I look forward to watching your next build.

Back