Best rocketry tools - What is yours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Every year I try to look back and think what is the best tool that I bought this year. How about that for rocketry? What is the best tool that you have made, repurposed, or purchased for rocketry care to share?

So far mine has been the home made fin alignment guide which came from TRF.

Next will possibly be the small paint booth I'm working on.

Thank for sharing

Estes tube cutting guides. I use them an awful lot. Best way I have ever used to cut a straight, even cut around a tube. I just wish they made cutting guides for BT70 and BT80 ;) The fin marking guides rank right up there. They skipped the BT70 but there's a workaround for that. I use 2 BT 70 to BT20 centering rings, a BT20 tube. I don't glue this together, there's really not too many 18mm BT70 rockets out there... Just fix the rings in place with masking tape so they don't move then insert it into the tube to be marked then use the marking device for the BT20 and BT 80, it also has other steps for sizes in between, and mark the fin position that way.

Last edited:
I like to use blue painters tape as a guide for making sure all of my decals and stickers are applied even and straight. No more sloppy decals like the ones on my rockets from my past.

Dremel 543 Cutting/Shaping Disk, makes cutting fin slots in cardboard and fiberglass tubes a breeze, its so easy I don't even use my router slotting jig any more to slot tube. Its also great for other stuff, just not metal.

View attachment 265254

BlastPlateAdapterTop.jpgBlastPlateAdapterSide.jpgBlastPlateAdapterBottom.jpgBlastPlate_Adapter Type.jpg

Was always losing the plastic thingie that keeps the blast plate oriented with the rod. This stays on the blast plate

Estes tube cutting guides. I use them an awful lot. Best way I have ever used to cut a straight, even cut around a tube. I just wish they made cutting guides for BT70 and BT80 ;) The fin marking guides rank right up there. They skipped the BT70 but there's a workaround for that. I use 2 BT 70 to BT20 centering rings, a BT20 tube. I don't glue this together, there's really not too many 18mm BT70 rockets out there... Just fix the rings in place with masking tape so they don't move then insert it into the tube to be marked then use the marking device for the BT20 and BT 80, it also has other steps for sizes in between, and mark the fin position that way.
I would like one for the BT30 too for us "cloners" out here!

I would like one for the BT30 too for us "cloners" out here!

Isn't the ID the same as a BT20? I always thought the BT30 was a thick walled BT20. A simple workaround would be to build up the diameter of the BT20 fin guide post until the BT30 fits. Trim the excess off with an XActo knife...that is if you even have to do that. My little tricks would work with Centuri tubes and Estes odd ball sizes like the BT52. BT52 to BT20 centering rings are out there, SEMROC line at eRocket should be available soon as will Centuri based centering rings. Unfortunately I'm sure Estes wont be making a fin marking guide for the odd sizes so we have to get creative :)

I have a huge beveled thick glass to custom fit my office desk. You can't get anything flatter than that and has become invaluable for making everything squared and true to fit. I have peace of mind when I build on that perfectly straight glass foundation.

One of the coolest newer tools I got a couple years ago, was a Dremel Flex Shaft. Been attached since day one and I have no reason to remove it. This is a very handy tool.

Dremel Flex Shaft.jpg

It's not new, but I love my adjustable hole saw. Perfect for cutting CRs and bulk plates.

Nate

Yeah, got the scroll saw, drill press, combo belt/disk sander this year. But I really count on DeltaCad for drawing things to cut, drill and sand. I dream of having a lathe some day.

Adjustable hole saw? Pics and a web site are in order here.

The one on the left is the one you don't want, its made by Harbor Freight, the tool is sloppy, cuts poorly and is difficult to adjust. Crossbar has about .062" slop left/right of center its so loose.

The one on the right is made by General tools obviously uses a single cutter that is easily sharpened on fine sandpaper (400+ grit), bar is held tightly and does not move once set, cuts a very clean hole.

The HF one only costs about $3 less than the General one (I think the General one cost $10.99). I am buying me 4 more of the General brand ones in about a week. Sometimes these are referred to as fly cutters. Clamps are a must or your fingers/hands are in jeopardy.

twocutters.jpg

Last edited:
Back