MarsaSysstems at LDRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Come see MarsaSystems goodies at LDRS. We will be next to AMW and near the registration booth. See the next generation of network enabled rocketry electronics.

- Sneak peaks of GPS and telemetry MarsaNet gadgets .
- Advanced wireless av-bay designs
- See remote pyro modules available now.
- See first 9 channel/9 event Marsa54L altimeter with Baro, Accel and GPS integrated Kalman filter.

More and some pics to come.

Very cool John...
Super easy to use / navigate through the menus as well.....
Can't wait to see the GPS unit......

Teddy

I'll definitely want to check this out, looking for my first tracking system !

There will also be a test flight of a fully MarsaNet'ed 7.5" HoJo. Marsa54L's installed in the booster. MrfPyro units (remote Pyro Outputs) in the nosecone that operates a Perigrine CO2 power chute cannon for main chute deployment. A MrfGPS GPS Server and telemetry transmitter will also be along for the ride.

The Marsa54L communicates 2-way with the Pyro units and requests GPS Fixes from the MrfGPS server to supplement the data from the Baro and Accelerometer for altitude estimation. In addition the MrfGPS sends fix information to the MrfXmtr while the Marsa54L also sends telemetry information to the transmitter. The on-board network does this communication peer-to-peer.

There will be 2 networks running simutaneously for redundancy.

The user configures all this complexity under the hood by simply turning the units on. The networks are smart and self-configures based upon what gadgets are on the network. No setting channels, pairing, and still no computer required.

20150520_173623.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to this, been waiting for the GPS system.

Good luck with the test.

See an Av-Bay of the future, but possible now. MarsaNet av-bay, neat, wireless, no messy rats nest of wiring to fail. See it at the Marsa LDRS booth in less than 2 weeks.

20150613_103444.jpg

Play with and see MarsaNet live at LDRS34. Mounted below are:

Marsa54L with MrfBridge
MrfPryo - remote 2channel pyro unit
MrfGPS - Ublox7 GPS server
MrfXbee - 900mhz telemetry transceiver
Video to come

20150617_182609_small.jpg

I won't be at LDRS, are yo u going to Airfest?

really want those GPS and Xbee units, do you have a mating side, may bluetooth :)

I won't be at LDRS, are yo u going to Airfest?

really want those GPS and Xbee units, do you have a mating side, may bluetooth :)

Waiting for some prototype plastics parts for the receiving end. Hope share pics and details in a few days.

Can the website be rated? Fortiguard web filtering software won't let me in to unrated websites.
Thanks
Greg

Here is a pic of the ground end of MarsaNet. This is the long reach or higher gain option. Pad antenna with 8dbi gain. Self powered and wirelessly connects to your laptop.
20150619_124027_small.jpg

I need someone to keep my wife distracted while I am at John's tent.

Easy peasy Al....
I have to ask her a couple of questions about the chute she just made for me........
Let me know when....
Just give me the old wink and a head bob...lol...

Teddy

At LDRS the HoJo below was flown with Marsa54L's in the booster and remote MrfPyro's in the nosecone operating a chute cannon. The shock cord was 45' which resulted in about 47' of distance between the altimeter and remote pyro. The main deployment worked perfectly demonstrating the range of the in rocket network.

ldrs_launch.jpg

John,

Any update on the new gadgets, xbee, gps, etc..?

I'm I asking for trouble if I desolder the 1s lipo on the pyro unit and replace it with a quick connect and a 1s2p, or 2s2p, or even 3s2p lipo? I'm just looking for enough volts and amps to drive a big ignitor on a multistage rocket - this would drastically simplify my life. I realize I may blow out the charging circuit and make it a one-time use gadget.... still way better and safer then setting up multiple electronics.

Alex

John,

Any update on the new gadgets, xbee, gps, etc..?

I'm I asking for trouble if I desolder the 1s lipo on the pyro unit and replace it with a quick connect and a 1s2p, or 2s2p, or even 3s2p lipo? I'm just looking for enough volts and amps to drive a big ignitor on a multistage rocket - this would drastically simplify my life. I realize I may blow out the charging circuit and make it a one-time use gadget.... still way better and safer then setting up multiple electronics.

Alex

2nd question first. The on-board Lipo charger is rated to 7V max on the battery terminal. So a 2s lipo may render that chip useless afterwards as you suspect, I do not know for sure. The rest of circuitry will be fine with the 2s Lipo. I wouldn't try or think you would need a 3s lipo.

Telemetry and GPS gadgets are very near. Just need a couple more test flights. Bonehead move on my part flying the GPS with a next to dead battery at MWP. Had excellent fixes of the rocket on the pad until the juice ran out.

--john

Alex,

Before changing out the battery I would test your intended igniter with the system at is. The current LiPo can supply a lot of current into a dead short. If the igniter is low resistance it might work as is. If it high (>2 ohms) then it would need higher voltage to get the current up.

You can test fire the MrfPyro outputs from the diagnostics menu of the Marsa54L (Outputs).

At LDRS the HoJo below was flown with Marsa54L's in the booster and remote MrfPyro's in the nosecone operating a chute cannon. The shock cord was 45' which resulted in about 47' of distance between the altimeter and remote pyro. The main deployment worked perfectly demonstrating the range of the in rocket network.

Resurrecting an old thread for a question:

John, in your HoJo, how did you configure the power switch for the MrfPyros in the nose cone? I'm looking to avoid a ladder at the pad.

Bill,

For the HoJo I used two rotary switches mounted to the nosecone bulkhead and turned them on before I put the rocket on the rail. For this application this was totally safe (IMO) because of the CO2 cannon physics. When the MrfPyro fires the CO2 the system was designed so there is only enough gas/energy to move the piston to the end of the cylinder which just pushes the chute gently out.

So if the MrfPyro had an uncommanded fire the worst that would have happened is that the cannon would have emptied the main chute into the booster airframe, and maybe dislodge the nosecone due to Newton's 3rd, but it would be a low energy event.

So, if I use two rotary switches just below the nose cone in the upper air frame, arming them on the pad before moving to vertical, then arming the companion Marsa54L's once they are vertical, there would be a reduced risk of the altimeter firing the remote pyros prematurely. In my case, using BP, a premature initiation will eject the nose cone, as in a ground test.

Would this work?

So, if I use two rotary switches just below the nose cone in the upper air frame, arming them on the pad before moving to vertical, then arming the companion Marsa54L's once they are vertical, there would be a reduced risk of the altimeter firing the remote pyros prematurely. In my case, using BP, a premature initiation will eject the nose cone, as in a ground test.

Would this work?

Yes the MrfPyro's need to be on before the Marsa54L are powered up. I would arm the MrfPyro while on the rail before you go vertical. Then power-on the Marsa54L once the rocket is vertical and secure.

Of course if the MrfPyro were doing motor ignition then of course you want everything vertical before arming.

Back