Missile Works RTx?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

So as I understand this: Either a Windows based machine, LCDT module, or an Android device is required?

What is a LCDT module? Is that a liquid crystal display module?

Yes sir... you do need something that produces human-readable output.

The LCDT (LCD Terminal module) plugs into your "base" RTx unit and provides "stream screens" that contain GPS, altimeter, and navigational data. You can also connect your base RTx unit to an Android device via the upcoming Bluetooth module and use the collection of Play Store Bluetooth software (Bluetooth GPS, Rocket Track, etc.) and the eventual RTx Android app I'll be writing. One can also stream data from the base RTx unit to a PC via the USB-IO module for live output and recording using apps like uCenter, Google Earth, etc...

The RTx base unit can be configured with it's own uBlox7 GPS to provide a completely autonomous real-time navigational solution to the rocket.

Does the Android device recuire a cell service or data plan?
I'm an Iphone guy but do have a Galaxy Note 2 that I keep for RC applications and maybe now rocket applications

Does the Android device recuire a cell service or data plan?
I'm an Iphone guy but do have a Galaxy Note 2 that I keep for RC applications and maybe now rocket applications

No service required for Android devices... as long as it has Bluetooth you're golden.

So Jim when are you going to put some info in the "News" section of you website?!? I figure thats when I warm-up the wallet. :cool:

OK, more like :drool:

Can't help it!

It's been a busy time since Airfest... hence, time to decloak this project a bit more:

Introducing the RTx System (Rocket Telematics)

From Wikipedia:
Telematics as an interdisciplinary field encompasses telecommunications, vehicular technologies, road transportation, road safety, electrical engineering (sensors, instrumentation, wireless communications, etc.), and computer science (multimedia, Internet, etc.).

We're applying all of the above disciplines to rocketry... simply substitute "air" for "road" and you'll get the notion as to what the RTx system is about.

I've finally completed my top-down scrub of the RTx System. I'll finally be sending out Alpha hardware evaluation systems to a select few who will start the Phase 1 Beta Tests of the RTx firmware. These may be coming to a lunch near you, and if so you can take a look at the system and its capabilities:

Midwest Power XIII - CJ Hendricksen and the Wildman Rocketry team will be testing.
Tripoli Vegas Oktoberfest - Jon Skuba and the Moto-Joe team will also be testing.

I should also be able to put together a 3rd system for handoff, and I'm not sure at this point where it will land... (pun intended)

As mentioned, this is "Phase 1" of my beta tests... Phase 2 will entail use of new Beta Hardware along with a new mDACS app and a new RRC3 Firmware release (more details to come soon on the specifics for these new releases).

The RTx System goes way beyond the notion of a radio downlinked GPS stream... it provides operation in it's simplest form as a non-radio GPS logging device, to it's most complex operations that support multiplexed GPS/RRC3 status that can marry up in dozens of configurations to best suit your projects and your budget. One board operates "in rocket" or as a "base station" with nothing more than the flip of 3 DIP switches.

This produces 8 unique modes of operation:

ROCKET - Comm Modes
0 GPS Only Logger
1 GPS Only Downlink
2 GPS RRC3 Downlink

BASE - Comm Modes
3 RRC3 Only Base (RRC3 modem only)
4 GPS Only Base
5 GPS RRC3 Base
6 GPS Only AutoNAV Base
7 GPS RRC3 AutoNAV Base

The RTx system utilizes the extremely capable uBlox 7 GPS chipset operating at a 10Hz refresh rate, while also utilizing the new "high dynamics" mode of operation for quick re-acquisition once you coast back into the sonic region (<1000 fps). The RTx also supports multiple orientations of its specially detuned patch antenna (tuned for embedding), conventionally lying flat on the main board, or oriented skyward for the most optimal satellite constellation reception using our specially designed 3D-printed support brace:

RTx Dual Sled.jpg

The RTx System is 100% plug and play ready with the RRC3 and all the existing m3 modules. We're also adding a new combination Bluetooth/RF Modem module to further enhance the function and operations of the RRC3 and RTx systems. The RTx system uses the standard 250mW XBee 900 MHz ISM Radio system, and will also support the 1W Laird 900 MHz ISM radio (via the modem board) to provide booming, interference free downlink capabilities.

The RTx board supports (6) unique multi-format live data stream outputs via our USB-IO or new Bluetooth module and is ready to operate with Google PlayStore apps like "Rocket Locator" and "Bluetooth GPS", and our upcoming Android "RTx" app.

If you have an existing LCDT module, the RTx system also displays (5) live LCD "stream screens" using our LCDT module:

- Rocket Lat/Lon
- GPS Detail (sats, elevation, velocity, course and speed over ground)
- RRC3 Status screen (elevation, events, velocity, temperature, mission clock, and battery voltage)
- AutoNAV screen (distance/bearing to rocket with your current bearing/speed over ground)
- Battery & Up Time (rocket and base unit)

The base station RTx board also supports its own ground based GPS for a 100% autonomous real-time navigational solution, or use it in tandem with your smart phone, tablet, or handheld GPS system for navigation to the landing area. GPS coordinate data is provided in (4) unique formats so there's no fumbling when entering data into a 3rd party app or your handheld GPS. We even let you select imperial or metric units as well!

DECIMAL MINUTES // ddmm.mmmmm
DEGREES / MINUTES // dd mm.mmmm
DECIMAL DEGREES // dd.dddddd
DEGREES / MINUTES / SECONDS dd mm ss.sss

That's what I got for now... one final note, the price will also be very likeable when you stack up all that this system will able to deliver.

Last edited:
Just waiting for the system to be released.....looking forward to getting one into my Super Weasel MD.

Last edited:
+1 Can't wait for this one! Going to go right into my L3 Project!

Wow... this seems like an amazing system. I'm guessing it will be out of my price range though. One can hope.....

Jim, glad to see this coming to fruition. Much more than a GPS board, it really brings an avionics system within reach to the consumer, i.e., not $500+, no licensing, etc.

As others have said, Jim, and I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread.... I'm very much looking forward to this. Glad to hear the updates! Thanks for keeping us informed!

Later!

--Coop

A quick update on continued beta testing...

Mark Miller will be flying the RTx system at the Battle Park launch in Culpeper Virginia on Saturday the 31st and Sunday the 1st and then the following weekend at the Valley Aerospace Team (VAST) launch in Monterey Virginia on November 7th and 8th. If you're attending either of these launches, be sure to look him up. Mark has stepped up to participate with beta testing and will be happy to show the hardware to anyone that has an interest in it.

CJ will indeed be piloting a system @ MWP.
His first solo!

Holee molee,

This is great! John Derimiggio I thought posted he was going to be flying his MARSA4 system so folks can see what best would fit their particular tasks. A lot of great, affordable electronics stuff on the horizon
for rocketry! Kurt Savegnago

BUMP! Along with the new Jolly Logic chute release gizmo, I am super anxious to see this available and to find out price info. Any more updates? Several posts back it looked like there were going to be more test flights last weekend....results?

I flew the GPS connected to RRC3 in my 2-stage at MWP.

It worked perfectly.

Plan on flying again at ROC in a week or so. [whenever that launch is in Charlotte]

I flew the GPS connected to RRC3 in my 2-stage at MWP.

It worked perfectly.

Plan on flying again at ROC in a week or so. [whenever that launch is in Charlotte]

Jim, we hope to have a launch in DEC at the new field.

Will the current RRC3 need to be updated to use the new GPS?

Will the current RRC3 need to be updated to use the new GPS?

Yes & No.

I don't have the actual details/dates. No to use GPS stand alone....

No to hook up RRC3 if it's been purchased this year, yes if it's an older model. You simply send it back for firmware update.[no charge]

Missleworks will release the models #'s that need updating to do this, off hand I don't know.
Jim A. will have to give the details.

I'm going to bump this again... waiting to decide between this and the BRB 900 as my first foray into tracking (non-HAM). Anyone know more about when this might hit the market and $$? Any more test flights to report?

Yeah, If it gets out there soon it will have a niche. Ready to go deployment device with tracking on the 900Mhz band. Yeah the EggFinder TRS is out there but that's build it yourself. The Entacore offering is on the 70cm ham band as are the Altus Metrum
devices. The Marsa54L is supposed to come out with GPS tracking but I suspect Missile Works might be closer to fruition? Of course the Marsa54L will have still be a useful tool with the integrated wireless network so one could do wireless staging or pyro activation and eventually do GPS tracking also. I can see why people are foaming at the mouth for the GPS tracking with the RRC3. Once one tracks that way, they'll try to avoid RDF unless it's the only way due to size constraints. Kurt Savegnago

Back