Missile Works RTx?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the arrows NOT show you if you're 180 out and walking the wrong direction? I thought that the base station did a comparison between the rocket reported GPS location and the base station GPS location, in addition to any other software/hardware magic to get the 'walk to' arrows.

Will the arrows NOT show you if you're 180 out and walking the wrong direction? I thought that the base station did a comparison between the rocket reported GPS location and the base station GPS location, in addition to any other software/hardware magic to get the 'walk to' arrows.

The arrow will show once you start moving so the base station 'knows' which way it's heading

and the next screen will tell me which direction to look and how far the rocket is from me.

I like this. Usually, my high altitude flights go quickly out of sight, and I am clueless as to where to look. Sure, my handheld GPS receiver is updating with lat/lon, but I can't process those numbers in my head to come up with a bearing. So, after a few minutes, the flight has landed, and I go look for the rocket. Kind of buzz kill to never see it in the air. This feature of the RTX will give you a fighting chance to catch a glimpse before touchdown.

Aside: I have been casually following this thread for almost a year and a half. Lots of beta testers, but is it ready for purchase by the masses?

Last edited:
I would hope that the GPS data might be piped to a tracking app. Live tracking on a map is really nice as can be had with APRS trackers and some of the NMEA trackers.

That is a picture of a ballistic flight. The numbers next to the breadcrumb positions are the GPS altitude. One can see the path to the pad. The black line is the path I took to the only position I received.
I trusted it and by gosh dug the rocket out. Live tracking is really something if it can be pulled off. I hope to get some nominal flights in with my trackers. I don't have a Missileworks system though.
I believe I didn't get packets at altitude due to the ballistic nature of the flight.

If the data that comes across is standard NMEA strings, then technically they can be piped to another application to display on a map. The trick is
to show your position with the rockets position. In that example above my position (the blackline) is updated every 15 seconds whereas the rocket position
is in real time. If the position is received once a second, it's updated on the map once a second. The numbers are the GPS altitude.

One limit to the APRSIS32 program above is the Mapquest photo maptiles are no longer available. I stored my frequent flying sites locally so I can still use the photomap.
Even a standard line map is helpful, the more details the better so one can plan a recovery. Don't laugh, with another flight before I had a map available in hand, I discovered after the fact
I could have very easily driven to a recovery site onroad, taken a short easy walk and picked up the rocket. Instead, I went straight line, through 4 drainage ditches,
fell a few times while walking and got really tired out. Being able to plan the approach is a nice plus. I was lucky because another fellows rocket landed close to mine and I
actually gathered it up first before proceeding to mine. He had a GPS tracker in his and was smarter than me. He drove up and I bummed a ride back!

Kurt

Screenshot (3).jpg

Last edited:
You can track the rocket live with the RTx if you have the bluetooth module for the base unit and an android or windows device. I have the bluetooth module but have not tried to do this yet.

You can track the rocket live with the RTx if you have the bluetooth module for the base unit and an android or windows device. I have the bluetooth module but have not tried to do this yet.

Your assignment then Dennis is corner someone with a bluetooth enabled Android device with GPS Rocket Locator on it.:wink: If the RTx works with it, Bingo! Instant live map tracking. Can now cache the maps to the device for offline use. The key is if the receiver streams the stock NMEA sentences without additional data in the strings. This is akin to using a wired USB GPS with a laptop. With rocket tracking, the Rf link is the "cable".
For a program to have any effective use, it's helpful to have your local position displayed along with your rockets. The example above is from a Chinese dual boot tablet Android/Windows that has an onboard GPS chipset.
One can't find native dual boot tablets as the makers don't want them. The two tablets I got are out of production now and there's nothing like them available currently. I ordered/trusted the overseas marketer and they delivered.
One was $150 and the other one was like $130. I look every now and then to see if there are any new dual boots out there that come with the onboard GPS but I haven't seen any. Many dual boot platforms but none with a
GPS. The lack of a local GPS can be remedied pretty easily by a little Bluetooth GPS one can bond to their device to give local position. Of course using an Android device with onboard GPS chipset that side is covered.

Not having to worry about inputting data by hand from one device to another is a big plus when one is hyped and excited during the "in flight" experience. It certainly relieves the dread factor when one loses sight and never reacquires
a visual. Yeah there's RDF but RDF wouldn't have done me any good with that flight posted above. If heaven forbid one has a ballistic flight, if they get a position before to rocket hits they'll be able to know where to go to
dig out the pieces and remove their litter from the launch site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frankdev.rocketlocator&hl=en

Kurt

I have successfully tracked my rockets real-time with the RTX connected via Bluetooth to RocketTrack on a Note 3 Android phone.

Elaine and will be flying our RTXS this weekend at Battlepark.

Ben

Sorry that is Rocket Locator and not Rocket Track.

Ben

Kurt, mostly I have to get the android tablet I bought for this back from my daughter who commandeered it to watch Netflix. I will try it at the November launch.

Dennis

The RTx System streams a standard $GGA sentence via Bluetooth so apps like Rocket Track and/or Rocket Locator can work directly with the Base Unit... there are additional stream options that I'll be exploiting as I venture into building an RTx app for Android which will use both GPS and RRC3 data fused together for a unified HMI/HUD

The RTx System streams a standard $GGA sentence via Bluetooth so apps like Rocket Track and/or Rocket Locator can work directly with the Base Unit... there are additional stream options that I'll be exploiting as I venture into building an RTx app for Android which will use both GPS and RRC3 data fused together for a unified HMI/HUD

Good, Exploit it Jim because it's a very nice way to track. One can always follow the directions on the receiver but again, using a live map opens up opportunity
to plan the recovery path. Kurt

I flew my Drago Ex on a research K650 to 5240. The RTx was mounted in the nose cone. Below is the GPS flight track.

BP_10-28_KML.jpg

Ben

Used the RTx system at the GHS launch on Nov. 5th and 6th. No problem tracking any of the flights so far.
All had pairs of RRC3 altimeters. The RTx was in the av bay of the Blue Moon and Stinger 6 and in the nose of the Tubula Rasa.

Love the system.

Blue Moon (Mad Dog 6) on M2045 to 8575'
BlueMoonM2045.jpg
Stinger 6 on M1101 to 10432'
Stinger6M1101.jpg
Tubula Rasa on K490 to 5900'
TubulaRasaK490.jpg

GHS 1116 RTX above1.jpg

View from NW
GHS 1116 RTX from NW.JPG

View from SE
GHS 1116 RTX from SE.JPG

Miles -

Thanks for posting your flights!

You had a great collection @ GHS... fantastic Google Earth images that you shared as well.
Also great to learn of your successful RRC3 tethering and locating results.

What I'm also curious about is how folks use the Base LCD display during flight?

Do you (or other users):

- Let it scroll screens automatically?
- Manually choose screens based on mode of flight? (boost, recovery, landing)?

I want to mention here that we're releasing the RTx/GPS on our Cyber Monday Sale:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...er-Monday-quot-Sale-11-28-2016-9AM-to-9PM-MST

Jim I let it scroll upon power up & then I typically lock the boost screen just before launch and then scroll & lock it to the recovery screen when retrieving rocket.

Below is the RTx GPS track for Elaine's 4" Competitor on a Tiger Tale K655 at the Nov Battle Park launch.

BP_11_19_KML.jpg

Ben

Here are a few images from launches over the last 2 months with my RTx.
Jim had jested why I even use a tracker but the day I don't use a tracker is the day I lose a rocket!

buc blast RTx.jpg

sra RTx.jpg

Here are a few images from launches over the last 2 months with my RTx.
Jim had jested why I even use a tracker but the day I don't use a tracker is the day I lose a rocket!

You can say that again. If it goes out of sight for an extended period of time with crazy winds aloft expect not to find it without a tracker. Just had the experience of a rocket that went too far downwind as I set it that way and thought it would weathercock upwind. The winds aloft were 180 degrees of the surface wind and I was able to follow with my patch antenna and live map and yell at folks to turn their heads 180 degrees. Rocket went from West to East, then at altitude blew back to the
West. As it came lower, it was caught by the prevailing surface wind and blew towards the East at touchdown. Rocket was still due West of my location but based on surface winds folks expected it to land way due East.

If one flies a lot of GPS tracked rockets, they will observe some unusual behaviors. Bottom line is they will get their rockets back. Kurt

Does anyone know if the RTx unit comes with antennas? Or do I need to buy the base antenna separately?

my base unit came with an antenna, the rocket unit you have the choice of the wire antenna or the external 1/2 wave antenna which is an extra $35.

Does anyone know if the RTx unit comes with antennas? Or do I need to buy the base antenna separately?

RTx hand unit comes with rubber duck antenna. The RTx transmitter unit comes with wire whip which can be upgraded to rubber duck.

Those are very nice images. How do you get them from your RTx system into Google Earth? Do you use load them onto a PC with mDACs, and then use an app?

Exactly what dj said. It gives you choice of export to .kml for .cvs file. Can also turn off ground track.

Exactly what dj said. It gives you choice of export to .kml for .cvs file. Can also turn off ground track.

Thanks. I have an Apple laptop, not a PC. Do you have any suggestions for the cheapest PC laptop or tablet that could be used to run mDACS and load flights into Google Earth?

Thanks. I have an Apple laptop, not a PC. Do you have any suggestions for the cheapest PC laptop or tablet that could be used to run mDACS and load flights into Google Earth?

You can get HP or Dell laptops for ~$190 from Bestbuy. Really depends on your definition of cheap.
Not sure about tablets but it would need to support USB.

You can get HP or Dell laptops for ~$190 from Bestbuy. Really depends on your definition of cheap.
Not sure about tablets but it would need to support USB.

Thanks. I've seen those. I am sure that those would be fine. Getting a PC is not high on my list at the moment. I got a Navigator RTx system. I should be fine for now.

Back