Missile Works RTx?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim (Amos),
If you will be attending the NCR Annual Meeting in Ault on January 9th, bring all this 'stuff'. I'd love to see it up close. Definitely will be buying when it's available.

Jim (Amos),
If you will be attending the NCR Annual Meeting in Ault on January 9th, bring all this 'stuff'. I'd love to see it up close. Definitely will be buying when it's available.

Kendal -

I will very likely be there... it's time again to purge out some of the older rocket parts/projects that I've not gotten around to at the "swap meet".
I'll also have a working "beta" suite of RTx boards to show, and likely some other Missile Works odds and ends too.

Really, the one deterrent to attending will be weather... I'm not keen on commuting on I-25 when it's foul outside.

A quick beta system update:

- Working on additional firmware tweaks this weekend based on additional commentary and feedback from users/reviewers. These changes cover simplification options for the LCD "Stream Screens" (no more than 3 or 4 items per screen unless you enable the additional data items for said screen), and some new and nice features for the retrieval and navigation (directional cues and a new ETA feature).

- I've got 2 beta boards built up here for testing... all is operational *except* the new USBIO/XBee flash-port connections... I've yet to isolate the issue specifically, but it's data-line related as I've got diode isolation to the XBee power rail that I'm sourcing from the USBIO.

- I've started the User Manual (finally) which is another heavy-lift piece of the completion equation.

Still mostly on-track for late January release... I'll post more as I have more.

Excellent! Glad to hear, Jim! Look forward to updates!

Later!

--Coop

Kendal -

I will very likely be there... it's time again to purge out some of the older rocket parts/projects that I've not gotten around to at the "swap meet".
I'll also have a working "beta" suite of RTx boards to show, and likely some other Missile Works odds and ends too.

Really, the one deterrent to attending will be weather... I'm not keen on commuting on I-25 when it's foul outside.

I'm with you... I will be coming up from Denver. I drive up I-25 to northern Colorado and Wyoming on a regular basis for work, and it can really suck in bad weather. Hoping for some mild conditions for both the NCR January launch and meeting.

A quick update on the RTx/GPS system

Beta software and hardware has been shipped with a plethora of improvements and enhancements made to the system based on the evaluation and suggestions of our test team.
This weekend we'll be demonstrating at (4) locations and conducting additional test flights at (3) locations (weather and conditions permitting of course):

- Ben Russell will be demonstrating and flying this weekend at Tripoli Central Virginia / Battle Park (Saturday & Sunday)
- Mark Miller will be demonstrating and flying this weekend at VAST - Valley Aerospace Team in Monterey, Virginia (Saturday & Sunday)
- CJ Hendricksen will be demonstrating and flying this weekend at the new ROSCO / Camden site (Saturday & Sunday)
- Jim Amos (me) will be demonstrating at the annual NCR Club Meeting in Ault, CO (Saturday)

Be sure to stop over and have a look at the hardware and its operation if you're interested in any flavor of license free GPS Tracking and Rocket Telematics!

Bump. Any updates? Hoping this will be available for a few Spring Red Glare flights.

Sorry all -

I kinda dropped off the radar in January... day job demands required 2 weeks of travel during which time there wasn't as much progress made as desired. I'm able to stay put until mid March when more travel is required. I've made yet a 3rd revision to the PCB artwork (which is here and queued up for test), but in the meantime I've been exclusively focused on wrapping up the RTx firmware and all the RTx mDACS support tweaks that fold in all the initial primary support for the hardware. I've got all the GPS data uploading from the board, saving and loading from local storage, and exporting into Google Earth and other text based formats... I anticipate having everything wrapped up this week on the app and firmware fronts.

The final frontier and heaviest lifts will be all the support documentation and the new web content and product data ... I'll be leaning on the test team as much as possible to see what collaborative additions they might contribute, and of course, CJ himself will be working on his prose for yet another "buy it and fly it" guide for the RTx hardware.

Here's where we landed with the mDACS app and the new "RTx/GPS" support tab:
mDACS-RTx.png

And here's a sim'd flight from my rooftop (using a faked altitude offset from the desktop data capture shown above)
KMLpreview.jpg

I'm mostly on-track for getting this first wave of stuff released late this month, however w/Chinese new year in full swing, the PCB shop is closed for awhile longer, and that's pushing us into early March. I'll reach out individually to all of our pre-order clients and ensure we get your system configured to your exact specifications.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

I'll reach out individually to all of our pre-order clients and ensure we get your system configured to your exact specifications.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

:y: What does this mean "exact specifications? I don't know what my exact specifigaga will be.
Are you talking about the frequency and the choice of flush mount vs end mount on GPS module?

Thanks for the update!!!

Well some of the choices I made:

antenna on rocket unit....plain wire, or connector for mounting duck antenna on BP's
Base unit can be had with bluetooth for sending data to phone or computer.

Configure rocket unit for use with RRC3 or without. You can do this yourself or he will send done for you. If yes then add the connecting cable

If more than 1 unit, configure frequencies all for 1 base or pair them up......1 rocket & base...another rocket & base.

These are just a few.

Thanks CJ! Hope the "Quick Start Guide for Dummies" is coming along ok....
I can't wait to see how others set these up.
The new mDACS looks cool too!

Thanks CJ! Hope the "Quick Start Guide for Dummies" is coming along ok....
I can't wait to see how others set these up.
The new mDACS looks cool too!

Mr. CJ is spot-on above, and you were also correct with the GPS orientation.
Here's the selection tree:

Rocket
- Rocket Transmitter Antenna (wire whip or RPSMA)
- Optional Cable/Antenna style for RPSMA
- Rocket GPS Mount (end brace or flush)
- Optional RRC3 tethering cable connect or Bluetooth Master/Slave modules

Base
- Optional Base Unit LCD
- Optional 3D printed LCD case
- Optional Base Bluetooth module
- Optional Base Antenna choice
- Optional 3D Printed Case for Base
- Optional USB-IO Module

And, soon after initial release we'll finalize the 1 Watt modem board options as well.

Excellent! Thanks Jim & CJ!
I've been looking over the images here of CJ's set up & the 3D printed LCD case. I think I get it. Mostly.

The 1 Watt modem board options? Is that something the average user should look forward too, just more expensive?

I guess I'll really be looking for recommendations for the best RP-SMA type antennas & connectors.
The LCD case looks like a "must have"! Getting excited now. Thank You!

A quick update and bump!

I've just completed the final all-around code tweaks and documentation for FINAL BETA review and test. I'm also committing the final Gerbers into production paneling and stenciling this week. It's taken much longer than expected, but that's how it goes when you're a "part-timer".

I will say I'm quite pleased where this all landed... all the features, functions, flexibility and operations were the result of a LOT of flying, review, and scrutiny. All this work, however, nets a truly "buy and fly" product while maintaining the feature-rich flexibility the system provides. Thanks go to the beta team for putting up with my detail drivel. I've also received preliminary approval from the TRA Records Committee that the RTx system will be added to the official "GPS Flight Computer" list.

I'll be posting up most ALL the new reference documentation later this week on the Missile Works website... we're making final review on content, grammar, and punctuation! I will also start posting up product details to the web site as we are in the HOME stretch of the project.

We've also got a BIG collection of new 3D printed widgets to go with the RTx system release (which includes a new sled design), and a new update to the RRC3 firmware that we'll also start shipping.

Good, IIRC, I have $250 pre-release Black Friday credit. Ready to pay difference and get started with the RTx.

Jim,

Do you think you can ship units in time so I can install the RTx in my rocket to fly at MDRA's Red Glare April 8,9,10th?

Very excited Jim, will there be a "pre-order"?

Also will we need to send in our RRC3s to re-flash?

Very excited Jim, will there be a "pre-order"?

Also will we need to send in our RRC3s to re-flash?

I offered a pre-order during Cyber Monday last year... all those folks that have placed down their cash will be contacted individually so we can supply a system configuration for their exact needs (excluding Bill K. who has already spec'd what he wants). I can't remember Nick, did you pre-order? (I'll need to check).

WRT to reflashing the RRC3, the only "need to" requirement is for any firmware < 1.54 (specifically v1.52 & 1.53), and that's optional too. If you're not tethering the RRC3 and RTx together, then no need for a reflash. The new v1.60 RRC3 has additional data support for the RTx system, specifically "continuity" reflected in the event status and altimeter battery voltage.

RTx can run 100% stand alone, and even the radios and a BASE system are optional. You can drop in an RTx "logger only version" board to simply record your flights and plot them on Google Earth (which is supported directly thru the new mDACS v1.60 app). You will need the USB-IO module to retrieve the GPS log data (7 GPS logs, 68 minutes each, 1Hz sampling).

I will post upgrade details for anyone wanting the latest firmware when we start adding all the RTx product info.

Jim,

Do you think you can ship units in time so I can install the RTx in my rocket to fly at MDRA's Red Glare April 8,9,10th?

WE *should make this*, but just barely... hoping to be shipping by the end of this month. Don't hold me to it (please), but we'll push as hard as we can.
First production runs means of lot of first time potential for complications as we transition from "by hand" to "pick and place".

WE *should make this*, but just barely... hoping to be shipping by the end of this month. Don't hold me to it (please), but we'll push as hard as we can.
First production runs means of lot of first time potential for complications as we transition from "by hand" to "pick and place".

Thanks for the effort, I am really looking forward to this product. When should we expect the email to finalize what we want in our system(s).

Jim (or any of the testers who have had their hands on this), I was looking at the Missle Works web store and the 29mm SMART Sled. Will the RTx fit this sled and/or a 29mm coupler (if long enough)?

Jim (or any of the testers who have had their hands on this), I was looking at the Missle Works web store and the 29mm SMART Sled. Will the RTx fit this sled and/or a 29mm coupler (if long enough)?

At present, it does not fit... the 29mm SMART accommodates the 23.5mm wide RRC3. RTx is 28.5mm wide, and over 1/2" longer than the RRC3.
Fear not, as there are new sled options in the wings...

Folks,
I have an RRC3 (with old firmware) an iPhone 6 and a Windows 10 laptop. I get the impression that the ground station can be used without a laptop. I can take the last coordinates and plug them into my iPhone if I had the right app, and walk right up to my rocket.

I found two by searching "best app to navigate with GPS coordinates using an iphone". I downloaded Easy GPS and Goto Coordinates.

What do you use?

Thanks
Tom

Will there be a sled for housing the RTx and an RRC3 in a 38mm payload bay? I have the Go Devil. I could go with a minimum of one 1/4 all-thread rod with eyenuts on both ends. That would be least intrusive.

Thanks
Tom

So expanding on the Red Glare question, if you do have the pre-orders shipped and revived at that point, will there be time for someone who didn't pre-order?

Folks,
I have an RRC3 (with old firmware) an iPhone 6 and a Windows 10 laptop. I get the impression that the ground station can be used without a laptop. I can take the last coordinates and plug them into my iPhone if I had the right app, and walk right up to my rocket.

I found two by searching "best app to navigate with GPS coordinates using an iphone". I downloaded Easy GPS and Goto Coordinates.

What do you use?

Thanks
Tom

I use MotionX

Back