USS Carl Vinson

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjhall

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On June 4th 2015, my daughters ship the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) returned to its home port in San Diego, CA. During CVN 70's nearly 10 month deployment she sailed for over 82,000 miles and dropped nearly 1/2 a million pounds of ordnance while supporting "Operation Inherent Resolve". I was lucky enough to sail on a "Tiger Cruise" with my daughter and her ship from Honolulu to San Diego.

20150604_140016.jpg

Wow,,
Is that cool Michael....
PLEASE tell her I said a great Thank you for you service........
I hate to ask but---
What's a Tiger cruise ??
Man that is really super cool Michael...

Teddy

I believe a Tiger cruise is where family members of a service person are allowed on board for a trip to experience onboard life. I've heard of the program and think it's a great idea. Kurt

+1^ Yes thank her for her service. Was there any flight ops during the Tiger Cruise?

Yes a "Tiger Cruise" is where they allow family members and friends (no spouses or significant others) to experience shipboard life typically as they return from a deployment. Yes there were flight ops. We were allowed on the flight deck for launching and recovery during one of the "Air-power Demonstrations". We were allowed on "Vultures Row" at anytime and we also got the opportunity to watch the Air Wing depart when were about a day and half out from San Diego.

Yes a "Tiger Cruise" is where they allow family members and friends (no spouses or significant others) to experience shipboard life typically as they return from a deployment. Yes there were flight ops. We were allowed on the flight deck for launching and recovery during one of the "Air-power Demonstrations". We were allowed on "Vultures Row" at anytime and we also got the opportunity to watch the Air Wing depart when were about a day and half out from San Diego.

Oh man,,
Good for you Michael...
You should be awfully proud of your daughter, that's for sure..
Very very cool indeed....

Teddy

OH man am I jealous!!!!!! You did get pic?!

Tiger Cruises are great. When my ship the USS Durham (LKA 114) returned from a "West-Pac" cruise my father got to ride from Pearl Harbor to San Diego with me. He was a WWII vet who had traveled on a troop ship to Africa and he said he had a much better time on this trip.:) A plus for him was when one of the pictures he took made it into the cruise book.

OP Tell your daughter a retired Chief says "Thank you for serving."

I was on her sister ship, the USS Dwight D Eisenhauer (CVN69) for 4 years

Thanks guys!

I have a couple of videos I will post later in the week....especially enjoyed the F-18 going supersonic over the flight deck!

Back