QCRS Launch Saturday June 13th, 2015 - Princeton, IL (Midwest Power Site)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
My single flight for the day should be a 3" rocket, single (motor) deploy, CTI I-345 WT, Mobius HD camera. Won't have any time to get anything else ready this week...

Are you coming, what are you flying?

I think I will have my thanksgiving-special-x-celerator on a K515SK, and maybe one more rocket.

Planning on: Ultimate Darkstar on N3000 (got it wired up this time)

Jart 4 on a K something

3" Tomahawk on a 2-grain CTI J-something. (Can't remember what it is at the moment)
3" RW Formula 75 on 2 6-grain EX loads that are curing right now.

I'm planning on flying my scratch built "Faster Buddy, Faster!" on a CTI 54mm K-something to between 13500' and 15800' depending on which I choose. I'm also planning on flying my rocket ExPAC to test an experimental controlled parachute reefing system, it'll fly on a CTI 38mm J410.

I'll be flying some stuff on F-H... probably will bring the cow rocket. Also testing out my HD 808 camera.

oh yeah, and the Mrs. will be coming too. She's not flying though- unless she's got a secret 4" darkstar that I don't know about.

Jart 4 on a K something

Now that I actually have the propellant cast and don't have to help my parents move, I should be flying my Ultimate Darkstar on an N3500 this weekend.

Jenny
Extreme Eagle Claw on a M 1770
Eagle Claw sport on a I224

Me
7 1/2" Fat Boy on a L990
54 Blackhawk on a Ellis Mt J110
38 Blackhawk on a J381
Mini Wild Thang on a H159

Mike

I notice a number of people are bringing EX motors, and I am currently looking for a mentor/partner to help me get an EX project going. Is there anyone going to this launch who would be willing to take a little time and chat with me about EX and particularly long burn motors?

I notice a number of people are bringing EX motors, and I am currently looking for a mentor/partner to help me get an EX project going. Is there anyone going to this launch who would be willing to take a little time and chat with me about EX and particularly long burn motors?

I'm sure there will be plenty of people there that will chat. As far as mentor, that might take a bit more bribery. Manny sounds like he will be there. Maybe he can give you a quick lesson on uncured propellant and results when lit.

Seriously though, I am sure you will find people to talk about EX.

Manny sounds like he will be there. Maybe he can give you a quick lesson on uncured propellant and results when lit.

Haha, I don't have that problem anymore, I use one of these bad boys...
[YOUTUBE]LzpMcPcfUYk[/YOUTUBE]

I plan on attending, not sure what I'm gonna fly yet.

For a second I thought that looked like the 209V 3 phase box I designed and built at work lol

Seriously though, I am sure you will find people to talk about EX.

I plan on being there and would be happy to talk EX.

As for Justin's original post, I have the 6" upscale Arcas loaded with a 75-7600 CCW M motor.

Are you coming, what are you flying?

Nooooooo...:sigh: I have to work Saturdays..:sigh: The only thing ill be flying is my Semi-Truck in southern south/eastern pattern back from the Lasalle area to Indy that morning...:sigh:

I think I will have my thanksgiving-special-x-celerator on a K515SK, and maybe one more rocket.

Probably loaded with one of those K-1440 *Hippopotamus Laxative* reloads...;)

I should be flying my Ultimate Darkstar on an N3500 this weekend.

I smell a Drag Race...:D

Oh sure, that way the conflagration of flaming *Dog Poo* in an oven creates a backdraft situation (when opened) incinerating everything in the Iowa State University Energetics Lab...:rolleyes:

Speaking of flaming Dog Poo has anyone else heard the rumor that G*rilla Motors is up for sale? No $#!@.

I'll be there early only... Launching the custom 3x29 Troika on 3 G or H somethings. Maybe bringing the DarkoStar to launch on either J or K, depends how heavy the credit card feels that morning. LoL. Both are set and ready for their first DD flights.

I'll be there early only... Launching the custom 3x29 Troika on 3 G or H somethings. Maybe bringing the DarkoStar to launch on either J or K, depends how heavy the credit card feels that morning. LoL. Both are set and ready for their first DD flights.

my vote is for H somethings. And 2 darko star launches- one on a J and one on K :)

I'll loan you my 6 grain 29mm case for the H somethings :)

The weather is looking Grimm for tomorrow. It's the launch still on? If we set up our 20 ft tower will we be able to take it down before it becomes a lightning hazard?

I am up, getting dressed and heading out there rain or shine. No guarantees how the day is going to go. I would recommend all big motor/rocket combos be swapped out for low altitude spools and short, fat, low altitude rockets. I will be leaving all my planned projects at home and be bringing some small stuff just to have something to fly. It's entirely up to you if you want to go through the "hassle" of setting up your pad. We might get a few breaks in the clouds. I hope we do, either way, it's a rocket day for me!!

Just got back from the launch- started out gloomy and low clouds, but got way better around noon-ish. Great flying, except for the muddy fields. Somewhere out there there is a video of me cleaning off my feet with a snow scraper.

I'm kicking myself hard. The forecast last night indicated no chance of good flying and my dad and I decided not to go. I had been looking forward to it for two months and spent many hours fussing over sims and preparations, and I invited friend to see the launch. It was a bad decisions, and I'm really bummed, and it's the last launch, till midwest power, near me with the field and waiver to fly my planned flight. I had planned to fly my L2 rocket on a 5G K to 14000+ and was looking forward to setting up my dads launch tower and flying his monster rocket "Zomok". I was also planning to chat with several people about a extreme EX project I have in my head that I want to start the research/design phase of. As I said I'm kicking myself... Stupid weather man, I know better than to listen to you.

I'm kicking myself hard. The forecast last night indicated no chance of good flying and my dad and I decided not to go. I had been looking forward to it for two months and spent many hours fussing over sims and preparations, and I invited friend to see the launch. It was a bad decisions, and I'm really bummed, and it's the last launch, till midwest power, near me with the field and waiver to fly my planned flight. I had planned to fly my L2 rocket on a 5G K to 14000+ and was looking forward to setting up my dads launch tower and flying his monster rocket "Zomok". I was also planning to chat with several people about a extreme EX project I have in my head that I want to start the research/design phase of. As I said I'm kicking myself... Stupid weather man, I know better than to listen to you.

Your not the only one kicking yourself. I scrubbed going based on weather as well. With a 3 plus hour drive each way, I didn't want to get there to find out I couldn't tickle the waiver. Luckily, the Woosh launch is next weekend so I'll get another chance but my high fliers will have to wait till MWP.

Your not the only one kicking yourself. I scrubbed going based on weather as well. With a 3 plus hour drive each way, I didn't want to get there to find out I couldn't tickle the waiver. Luckily, the Woosh launch is next weekend so I'll get another chance but my high fliers will have to wait till MWP.

I feel worst of all. Went there with two key flights planned and prepped, but had to leave at noon. Twenty minutes before it cleared up. Literally twenty minutes.

I feel worst of all. Went there with two key flights planned and prepped, but had to leave at noon. Twenty minutes before it cleared up. Literally twenty minutes.

Would you feel better if I told you that every rocket launched after you left CATO'd and completely destroyed the airframe? Just completely disregard any pictures or videos you see from the launch.

Thank you to the folks who helped rescue the "Big Dog" rocket at the launch. The altimeter confirmed that the main chute deployed at apogee (something went a bit wrong for the dual deploy plan). 5 miles of drift. Are you kidding me. It would have been a dead dog without the groups help. Thanks again.

Was that the large rocket on the M19whatever motor? that was a really nice flight- glad that you got it back!

Had a great time today at the launch!

Thanks again to the gentleman who let borrow his boots to recover my V2. I would have gotten soooooo muddy otherwise.

Hope everyone made it home ok. I was driving home and ran into a bad storm. The traffic was travelling at 25mph on I80....no joke. It was crazy windy.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;3m4newM0pDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4newM0pDU[/video]

Last edited:
Back