idiots with guns...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
Last Friday a neighbor below my apartment had an accidental discharge. No idea what he was doing, but basically the bullet went into my roommate's room and hit the dresser. Thank God that's the only thing damaged.

Had cops all over the apartment as a result... I hope the guy gets punished for this.

No such thing as an accidental discharge !!! The weapon is loaded or not !! The owner is an idiot or meant to do it--that simple.There is not a gun in my house with a bullet in it except for my Glock and the clip is not fully inserted--BTW-I have no kids!! I don't think the wolf is going to play with the gun and frankly she's turned out to be a great first line of defense anyway!--H

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Let's hope that the owner loses the right to possess firearms permanently.

I don't know... I mean the second is there for a reason and if we start taking them away on a whim, it's not a right anymore.

But I do think the guy should be forced to attend a firearms safety class.

My room mate in college was cleaning his pistol once and for some dumb reason decided to chamber a round and accidentally shot a hole through the wall... And he had military training... Made me nervous about the larger weapons he would regularly handle in the apartment.

Seriously, nobody has any business chambering rounds in an apartment unless he's ready to shoot an intruder. There's better places to function test it, like a range or ask a gunsmith to do it.

OP: I'm unfamiliar with the laws where you live (actually I'm not sure what state you're in), but if it were my apartment building (as in if I owned/managed it), this would be grounds for immediate eviction of the tenant under the lease's safety provisions. It's possible in some states this might not be supported under the law, but in most places it's a no-brainer.

@taiwanluthers: weren't you the guy that had some concerns about storing model rocket motors at your apartment, with respect to lease safety provisions? Kind of ironic that your place would be impacted by a much greater safety issue! Puts everything in perspective.

It's just good that nobody was hurt, and hopefully the gun owner learned a valuable (and likely expensive) lesson.

Marc

I'm not sure what the guy would get, but I would think eviction would be a very last resort simply for the fact that evictions are expensive (costs something like 10,000 dollars to the owner) and that they'd like to obviously keep someone paying rent as opposed to potentially having empty units out there... Plus the lease makes no mention of having firearms, instead it only have provisions against using firearms in such a way to be harmful (which I think accidental discharge would qualify). I think more likely the person would probably not only have to pay the damage, but be fined for breaking the contract (which for the owner is a much less expensive solution than eviction)

I'm in Austin and the city seems very anti gun already, even though the state is gun friendly.

Evictions aren't that expensive and are fairly easy if the tenant is clearly wrong. Eviction and cost of damages would be a light penalty in my opinion.

was it this guy
NSFW language

[youtube]AkKiLaxXjAA[/youtube]

Last edited:
I prefer the term "Negligent Discharge".
An "Accidental Discharge" would be caused by an accident, such as a Meteor striking the house and smashing the gun off of my hip, causing it to ricochet into the hook of my hanging tomato plant in such a fashion that the trigger made perfect contact with the exposed portion of the hook as to cause the weapon to fire.
The most important safety is the one between your ears.:wink:

Or I guess for bolt action rifles, when you do trigger work on them, and the gun fires as soon as you close the bolt, or you get a slam fire as soon as you chamber the round (it can happen).

Which is why I NEVER EVER chamber a round unless I'm ready to shoot. If I'm function testing (to make sure the round will actually chamber properly) I would do it with either a dummy round, or I'll remove the firing pin/render the gun unable to fire and then try to GENTLY close the bolt on it.

Or I guess for bolt action rifles, when you do trigger work on them, and the gun fires as soon as you close the bolt, or you get a slam fire as soon as you chamber the round (it can happen).

Which is why I NEVER EVER chamber a round unless I'm ready to shoot. If I'm function testing (to make sure the round will actually chamber properly) I would do it with either a dummy round, or I'll remove the firing pin/render the gun unable to fire and then try to GENTLY close the bolt on it.

Yes, but Pistols are purely defensive weapons, and by the nature of there purpose must always be loaded and ready to go.
If you can't handle that you should'nt be carrying one.
They're for real life, not like the Movies where you have time to rack the slide. It's draw and shoot.

I don't have any handguns, and don't really want one. I hope to never have to need it for defensive use however.

As a kid who's lived in Texas all his life I feel like I can weigh in here. Guns are ubiquitous with Texas. 9/10 people you meet will have at least shot a gun and most will have one in their house. I know a good amount of people with loaded firearms next to their beds (one with two shotguns next to her bed and a handgun under her pillow!). Don't get me wrong I'm not supporting your neighbor, he needs to be much more careful with his firearm, but dropping a hand gun can make it accidentally discharge. I agree that something should be done to make sure it doesn't happen again, but taking away his right to bear arms is not the solution.

Reminds me of this video :p :
How You Know You're Shopping in Texas: https://youtu.be/wIMiLF_L8s8

Last Friday a neighbor below my apartment had an accidental discharge. No idea what he was doing, but basically the bullet went into my roommate's room and hit the dresser. Thank God that's the only thing damaged.

Had cops all over the apartment as a result... I hope the guy gets punished for this.

Cool Story.

As one who lives in the UK and without any experience of guns I find this thread a fascinating insight to those that have. I'm certainly not being judgemental but am very interested to know why there is such a perception of need where guns are concerned?

I was working for a couple of weeks in Detroit last year. Before leaving for home a colleague and I went into a general store. He was looking for a present to take back for his wife and daughter. I can't remember the name of the store though. Anyway, after passing through the various departments we came across the gun store. I was amazed at what I could buy, pistols, rifles, military style weapons, and ammunition! And yes, I could buy them! I wouldn't have got on the aircraft home though.
It was so easy but I do see a contradiction here. Guns and weapons are so easily available but from what you tell me, rocket motors are under such stringent control. Reading a recent thread, even the design of model rockets may even come under ITAR controls. Are priorities in the right order?

I would also take issue with the attitudes expressed toward the guy who "accidentally" fired the gun. Most stated his obvious incompetence and idiocy, others, I perceived were quite sympathetic toward him. For those that were sympathetic, what would you say if I were to store my Cesaroni motors in a plastic box next to a fire to keep them warm and dry? Or keep them fully loaded (as someone advocated for guns) with an open igniter, in readiness for my next launch? Or even suggested the concept of combining a pyrotechnic with a model rocket? Lock me up and throw the key away!

As for the guy in question, "Forced to attend a firearms safety class"! All that'll teach him is how to use a gun properly. He's a dangerous moron (now that is judgemental) but will that be enough to stop him using guns?

Fascinating isn't it? Why the obsession with guns? Is it really cultural or based on a spurious fear.
Genuine questions from me. I am genuinely interested to understand this need you have to own guns for "defensive reasons". Why have "a right to own guns" in the first place. Shouldn't it be earned and respected?

It's a relatively minor problem in the UK but growing. For most people we only see guns at airports, during military parades, and occasional gang land killings seen on the news.

SO.

Space Oddity. I was in Law Enforcement and was trained (Expert Marksman 1st time on combat pistol course)(and 36 years ago) The main reason I got off my arse to by a home 15 years age was that at the time I was living in an apartment in a nice part of town. After about 8 years illegal immigrants started to move into the complex. 6 in a one bedroom & up to 12 in a 2 bedroom. One night there was banging on my neighbors door, this went on for about 5 minutes. Then they started banging so hard pictures started falling off the wall. I opened my door and there was six drunk guys. Before I could say anything they were cursing me in Spanish and telling me to go inside. I tried to tell them that no one was home, but they came at me and two came into my apartment. I backed up and grabbed my 40 cal off the end table. I could have legally capped the two in my residence, but I didn't because I didn't have to because the were retreating (and taking of a life weighed heavily on me when I was an LEO.) But if I didn't have a weapon, what would have happened to me? I do not think I would have been killed, but I am glad that I had a weapon and didn't find out. After they retreated, I closed/locked my door and called 911. The were arrested driving away and were charged with DUI. I complained that they were not deported, and were deported after I complained to my state and federal representatives and the local news.

I have always wondered why people in the UK still have royalty. What purpose do they serve, since they do not have a necessary function within the government structure anymore. Why pay taxes to support them? Do you still have a House of Lords where nobility, a select and superior class to the common man, determines your laws or do you elect members of the House of Lords now? Do these noble lords still collect rents on property, are they supported by taxes, or are they independently wealthy? The nobility and royalty really do not serve a purpose so why the obsession to keep them?

I agree very much with what I believe Talon is trying to get across. If I remember correctly from my history class there is a quote about the US.

"any country would be stupid to invade the United States. there's a gun behind every blade of grass" (I paraphrased that)

The fact that Americans can own and use guns and store them in their house makes every single citizen a line of defense. We will protect our property, and even when the government falls the invading force will have to subdue the entire population. I'm not trying to sound like doomsday is inevitable but if it ever happens the US will be ready.

Owning a gun is not because you can, and not because you need it every day. It's for that one time when you actually do need it and you or your family's lives are on the line.

"I'd rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone"

I have always wondered why people in the UK still have royalty. What purpose do they serve, since they do not have a necessary function within the government structure anymore. Why pay taxes to support them? Do you still have a House of Lords where nobility, a select and superior class to the common man, determines your laws or do you elect members of the House of Lords now? Do these noble lords still collect rents on property, are they supported by taxes, or are they independently wealthy? The nobility and royalty really do not serve a purpose so why the obsession to keep them?

A little off topic, no?

A little off topic, no?

Not really, he was proving a point about things others percieve as unnecessary. Brits question why Americans need guns and we question why a democracy like the UK has become still needs a monarch.

It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

But if you have it, it's better to not shoot into a neighbor's apartment. That's just rude man!

I agree, he should attend a court-ordered gun safety course. Let's not go making up reasons for taking guns away, lol.

I would like to address the issue of having a round chambered. #1 the obvious reason is that you might not have time to chamber a round, and you might not want to make noise. For people who have a real issue with this may I suggest having a revolver and leaving the cylinder empty that is in line with the barrel. #2 If you always have a round in the chamber, you will always treat any gun like its a loaded gun and not get lackadaisical when treating a weapon thinking that it is safe when it is NOT.

Thanks for the debate.

I'm not sure our royalty has anything to do about it though? Maybe a few hundred years ago when the blade was mightier than the bullet. Hopefully that's in the past and we've moved on bit since then.
I guess you're right, our royalty doesn't have too much value anymore. Except for diplomacy, history, respect, and the admiration of many nations. As a class, quite impotent. As an image of constancy, quite valuable to us and many nations. I'm intrigued as to why they are seemingly so popular in the US media? Much more than they are in the UK.

Not really related to my original questions though?

SO.

As one who lives in the UK and without any experience of guns I find this thread a fascinating insight to those that have. I'm certainly not being judgemental but am very interested to know why there is such a perception of need where guns are concerned?

I was working for a couple of weeks in Detroit last year. Before leaving for home a colleague and I went into a general store. He was looking for a present to take back for his wife and daughter. I can't remember the name of the store though. Anyway, after passing through the various departments we came across the gun store. I was amazed at what I could buy, pistols, rifles, military style weapons, and ammunition! And yes, I could buy them! I wouldn't have got on the aircraft home though.
It was so easy but I do see a contradiction here. Guns and weapons are so easily available but from what you tell me, rocket motors are under such stringent control. Reading a recent thread, even the design of model rockets may even come under ITAR controls. Are priorities in the right order?

I would also take issue with the attitudes expressed toward the guy who "accidentally" fired the gun. Most stated his obvious incompetence and idiocy, others, I perceived were quite sympathetic toward him. For those that were sympathetic, what would you say if I were to store my Cesaroni motors in a plastic box next to a fire to keep them warm and dry? Or keep them fully loaded (as someone advocated for guns) with an open igniter, in readiness for my next launch? Or even suggested the concept of combining a pyrotechnic with a model rocket? Lock me up and throw the key away!

As for the guy in question, "Forced to attend a firearms safety class"! All that'll teach him is how to use a gun properly. He's a dangerous moron (now that is judgemental) but will that be enough to stop him using guns?

Fascinating isn't it? Why the obsession with guns? Is it really cultural or based on a spurious fear.
Genuine questions from me. I am genuinely interested to understand this need you have to own guns for "defensive reasons". Why have "a right to own guns" in the first place. Shouldn't it be earned and respected?

It's a relatively minor problem in the UK but growing. For most people we only see guns at airports, during military parades, and occasional gang land killings seen on the news.

SO.

I appreciate your questions and I might take a stab at responding to a few of your questions. I don't wish to create an argument or even a discussion per se, just one American's perspective on gun ownership. I highlighted a few of your comments to address -

such a perception of need where guns are concerned? - I don't think there's necessarily a requirement to "need" a gun to purchase one. Simply, it is every American's right to own a gun - some/many Americans choose to exert their freedom and purchase and own one. And the vast majority that own and use firearms......do so safely. But, like any dangerous tool - some people misuse them. Like the guy in the apartment below the O.P.

I was amazed at what I could buy, pistols, rifles, military style weapons, and ammunition! And yes, I could buy them! I wouldn't have got on the aircraft home though. You didn't address this, but are you an American citizen, simply living in the UK....or are you a UK citizen? If you are not a US citizen, actually, you are not allowed to purchase a firearm in the U.S.

Why the obsession with guns? - Who is obsessed with guns? There are an awful large number (as in "most") of gun owners that don't really talk about them, discuss them openly or such.

I am genuinely interested to understand this need you have to own guns for "defensive reasons" There is no "need". But Americans don't need to have a need. If a law-abiding American chooses to own a gun....for any reason - we simply have the freedom to do so. As a collector's item, for defensive purposes, or for hunting. "Need" just doesn't even fit into the discussion. It's simply whether an American wants one of not. Some people want to own one. Some don't. The beauty is....law abiding citizens have the freedom to choose.

Why have "a right to own guns" in the first place. Because our forefathers had the intellect and insight to realize that the right to bear arms is a God-given right to any free individual that abides by laws. Most Americans recognize the value in our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Shouldn't it be earned and respected? Respected? Yes, absolutely. I would hope that all Americans would respect the responsibilities they have for owning a gun. Just like I would hope they would respect the responsibilities of owning an auto, a power tool or a knife. Earned? Yes, Americans earn the right to gun ownership when they are born or become a U.S. citizen.

I hope this helps address some of your questions. I have no interest in a political exchange/argument - I tried to frame this as non-political as possible.

AS,

Thanks for your considered reply,

I will do likewise in full.

A couple of points. I am a UK citizen and was surprised how easy it was to buy weapons in the store I was in. Maybe it was an exceptional store, I don't know? I do know that I could have walked out with a gun and ammunition.

As I said, I will reply in full, but would also affirm my concern at the contradiction between gun law and rocketry law.

SO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back