Open Rocket 15.03 Issue With Ubuntu 14.04

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMises

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting OR to open. I've gone into OR Properties and set it to "Allow executing files as program." still nothing.

What am I missing?

most likely the lastet version of Java for Linux, you need the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE to run apps, JDK to develop apps) from Oracle installed to run OR. Once you have the Java JRE installed you just double click on the OR .jar file to run.

Last edited:
Thanks. It would appear that I'm running Java 7 and there is no Java 8 for Ubuntu. If I understand correctly, the latest update to Java 7 was an empty package that left Java useless.

This would explain why previous versions of OR don't work.

Last edited:
If you can't get OpenRocket to open (assuming you mean 'run'), then how are you changing OR properties? Or is that it's running but not opening design files?

Doug

If you can't get OpenRocket to open (assuming you mean 'run'), then how are you changing OR properties? Or is that it's running but not opening design files?

Doug

It's not launching at all. Click on the OR icon and nothing happens.

The OpenRocket-15.03.jar file is listed as file type "Archive." A tekie friend made an openrocket.sh "program" file that will launch it.

Is this being caused by the .jar file being an Archive rather than a Program?

Had the same problem, I found that a custom command worked for me. In the 'open with' dialogue make sure java is selected and in the 'enter a custom command' enter java -jar if memory serves.

Richard

Yes, a .jar is just a container of compiled Java classes, and as such is not directly executable. You need to associate the .jar file type with the Java runtime. Right click on any .jar file, select Properties, then Open With. In the resulting dialog select the JDK, JRE, or Java executable (depends on your installation). You should be able to then double click on the OR jar and have it launch. If not, you may have to do as Richard suggests to create a custom command of : java -jar

Doug

Thanks guys.

Since Java isn't available in the "open With" menu, I think we may have found the problem. Odd tho, I haven't had this issue until now.

Back