Another Rocket Forum- Looks Promising

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know about Rocketry Center Forums: https://rocketrycenter.com/index.php . I just joined there and it looks really quite promising. The site is still new and many places are under construction but I'm sure more members could liven it up a bit :)

I just joined up. It gave me this weird message when I clicked on MPR Rocketry.

Some Pics' 2015-06-06 002.jpg

So who owns the site... Would be nice to see an introduction by the owner. It just popped up out of nowhere organically I suppose.
domain.JPGdomain 2.JPG

Attachments

• domain.JPG
    domain.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
"Sorry, but the forum you are currently viewing does not contain any child forums."

So, those who left here won't be able to post their grade school potty humor on this new forum either?

So who owns the site... Would be nice to see an introduction by the owner. It just popped up out of nowhere organically I suppose.
View attachment 264894View attachment 264895

You can't get that information as the domain is registered via GoDaddy's private registration service option to hide his/her identity, so at the present time, you don't know who runs it, or what the terms and conditions of use are, so be careful.

Bob

Some TRF members have been frustrated that TRF's terms of service is not clear. It doesn't seem to be posted anywhere on TRF, and some of the TOS used on other forums owned by TRF's owner claim too many rights to the material posted on the forum, at least for some members. What is the TOS at this other forum, and do you actively have to acknowledge and agree the TOS when you join or post?

If I did not have to actively agree to a TOS when I joined any online entity, or to actively agree to any changed to the TOS, then I consider any claim of TOS to have rights to what I post to be not worth the ink and paper it was never written on.

Anyone reading this should consider this message to be MY TOS. You agree to my TOS by having read it. So now my TOS is just as valid. :)

It is sort of amusing though that this other forum is shrouded in secrecy, no TOS listed, no statement as to its purpose and goals, no new owner standing up proudly announcing it, pretty much nothing.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Considering all of the "dissension amongst the ranks" as of late, I am assuming it is simply a TRFer or ex TRFer hoping to take advantage of the situation and offer up something, as an alternative.

If I did not have to actively agree to a TOS when I joined any online entity, or to actively agree to any changed to the TOS, then I consider any claim of TOS to have rights to what I post to be not worth the ink and paper it was never written on.

Anyone reading this should consider this message to be MY TOS. You agree to my TOS by having read it. So now my TOS is just as valid. :)

It is sort of amusing though that this other forum is shrouded in secrecy, no TOS listed, no statement as to its purpose and goals, no new owner standing up proudly announcing it, pretty much nothing.

- George Gassaway

True, if you did actively agree to it, then no agreement is in effect. However, the TOS tells you what the owner THINKS is in effect, even if they don't have a legal leg to stand on. So if the owner states in some "browse-wrapped" TOS somewhere that you have given them exclusive rights to use your posted material in all kinds of different ways, then they might be expected to act that way, even if it's not legal, and it could be on you to take some kind of legal action if you felt your posted material had been used improperly. If the site is up-front with a TOS that grants the site the normal, limited, one-time-use of your posts, then you can be reasonably sure your posts are only going to used that way.

EDIT: This is not s huge issue for me personally, but I guess some people are worried about how their posted and uploaded intellectual property is used. I'm not very concerned, myself.

Last edited:
Considering all of the "dissension amongst the ranks" as of late, I am assuming it is simply a TRFer or ex TRFer hoping to take advantage of the situation and offer up something, as an alternative.

But then, if this 'TRFer' or 'ex TRFer' won't stand up and identify themselves - and gleefully announce how their efforts are addressing all these issues of late (along with open and freely available TOS) - then this is - most decidedly - NOT "an alternative".

It's just more of the same.

-- john.

EDIT: This is not s huge issue for me personally, but I guess some people are worried about how their posted and uploaded intellectual property is used. I'm not very concerned, myself.

I said it more for others than for myself. I'm not really that concerned, either. But also, I figured I'd state for the record, so if anyone deeply involved with TRF feels that the terms of MY stated TOS are not acceptable, they can tell me publicly. Otherwise, by the terms of my TOS, they automatically agreed when they read it. :)

Really, some others use the TOS thing as an excuse when they have other agendas at play.

I read a great reference a month or two back that pretty much said such non-agreed to TOS's are worthless, but I failed to bookmark it and didn't find it when I tried googling again. But, anyway, for all anyone knows, there are hidden TOS's for that new site that are much the same or worse than the phantom TRF TOS.

- George Gassaway

But then, if this 'TRFer' or 'ex TRFer' won't stand up and identify themselves - and gleefully announce how their efforts are addressing all these issues of late (along with open and freely available TOS) - then this is - most decidedly - NOT "an alternative".

It's just more of the same.

-- john.

Well that is one way of interpreting it. Other options could be that they are being cautious or possibly afraid of perceived repercussions. Possibly they figured "darn TRF I will start my own forum" and didn't think it all the way through. In the end it is hard to know who, why, or their intentions until "they, him, her" come forward. Until then, and the longer they wait, the more people will conjecture.

I've signed up to be part of their experiment, whoever they are. We'll see how it goes and where it leads.

Well that is one way of interpreting it. Other options could be that they are being cautious or possibly afraid of perceived repercussions. Possibly they figured "darn TRF I will start my own forum" and didn't think it all the way through. In the end it is hard to know who, why, or their intentions until "they, him, her" come forward. Until then, and the longer they wait, the more people will conjecture.

You are, of course, right. Maybe these 'hints' will elicit a clarification :)

-- john.

I've signed up to be part of their experiment, whoever they are. We'll see how it goes and where it leads.

Me too. It's just the internet, so I don't take it personally.
I really don't give a damn about who owns it or what they do with my Posts or else I would'nt be posting here.
I just want to talk about rockets to anyone that will listen.

The earliest joiners that I recognize seem concentrated in the Northeast.

Last edited:
While I am somewhat curious who set the new site up, the way I see it that it doesn't/shouldn't matter. What does matter is how it is run.
I joined after reading a post from a mod saying the new forum will be limited to discussions of rockets, no political/religious discussions (there is no off topic section)no bashing/personal attacks, and no user fees.
What really caught my eye is the statement that all would be welcomed with a clean slate, regardless of previous issues. You don't hear that often these days!
It appears to me that they are trying to get away from the bashing of folks and forums that has been going on elsewhere.
I certainly welcome that, and will probably start spending more time there ,while continuing to be active on TRF and YORF.
Greg

One of our recently lost vendor members has shown up over on the Rocketry discussion area at rcgroups.com.......

If needed in the future, I bet RC Groups could greatly expand the Rocket forum if we all suddenly needed a new home.
It is a commercial site with lots of model related ads, but I am very active over there in the RC discussions and like the place a lot.

Rc group and rc universe have a Rocketry thread but not much action in either. One new post every few weeks.

Me either. I'm always surprised when somebody uploads a file to a public site on the internet and then expects that he's somehow still in control of it. Images, videos, build instructions, etc. are out of the box the minute they're uploaded.

If it's THAT important to you, or you think it's that valuable, how about only upload watermarked copies, or short clips, or otherwise less than useful copies instead of something you think is worth money to you someday? That way you retain the valued file to distribute yourself. If you upload a full resolution picture to a forum, even one where the owners have agreed that you still own the rights to it, anybody on the internet will have access and be able to take it and use it, or alter it, or take credit for it, themselves.

Back