Basic Wiring how-to video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted my my recent how-to video on components, tools and techniques for electronics bays. (Or you may just want to see a software guy try to solder.)
jcrocket.com/basic-wiring.shtml

John, another nice video.

As a reformed electronics tech, I offer a couple comments/questions.

Are you using rosin core solder, or is it solid?

How hot are you running your iron/ is it variable temp? To certain point hotter is better. Also, when tinning wires heating from the bottom is a little more efficient.

What are you using to plug the wire hole through the bulkhead? I use silicone rtv personally.

Are you using rosin core solder, or is it solid?
I assume it's rosin core it says "lead-free silver solder" on the tube.

How hot are you running your iron/ is it variable temp? To certain point hotter is better. Also, when tinning wires heating from the bottom is a little more efficient.
By default, mid-range (about 300°C). Thanks for the tip on tinning.

What are you using to plug the wire hole through the bulkhead? I use silicone rtv personally.
I use poster tack, and cover with masking tape. Silicone works well too, just messier.

I watched it, and, as always, good job on the video, John.

I've used silicone and the fun-tack. Hot glue gun works, too--sticks well enough to seal, but removes easily when needed... but I typically use barrier strips. True, another component, and possible failure point, but I like being able to attach and remove the leads with the bulkheads in place.

Later!

--Coop

Thanks for sharing John, I hadn't thought to clip the unused Schurter Switch terminals .

Will send the link it to some av-bay newbs !

Kenny

(Or you may just want to see a software guy try to solder.)

That kind of thing keeps us hardware types awake at night.

Nice primer though. One comment is that I wonder why you chose to cut the additional terminals off the rotary switch. I have found that the additional pair can be used as a spares if a primary fails to vibration. Actually two comments. There are different philosophies as to whether you should tin the leads going into a pressure terminal. You mentioned deformation of the wire and that can be an advantage as it actually increases the surface contact area. I run hot and cold on that. Sometimes I do tin as installing and removing the wire is a PITA. As I move to simply having an altimeter for each rocket (they are really getting cheap enough), I do not tin as I like the additional contact area.

John,

Thanks. That is a great instructional video. I usually use a liquid rosin flux. It helps with adhesion.

Lookin' good, John. I'm always impressed with your work. You've given me a lot of ideas. Heck, pretty much every nose cone I get now gets modded because of your how-to.

One comment is that I wonder why you chose to cut the additional terminals off the rotary switch. I have found that the additional pair can be used as a spares if a primary fails to vibration.
I do it mostly for neatness. Switches aren't that expensive (the Schurter switches are about $6) and it avoids any chance of shorting.

There are different philosophies as to whether you should tin the leads going into a pressure terminal. You mentioned deformation of the wire and that can be an advantage as it actually increases the surface contact area. I run hot and cold on that. Sometimes I do tin as installing and removing the wire is a PITA. As I move to simply having an altimeter for each rocket (they are really getting cheap enough), I do not tin as I like the additional contact area.
Interesting. I've noticed that 9V battery leads are always soldered at the end and as you say it's easier to manage with a solid end.

There are different philosophies as to whether you should tin the leads going into a pressure terminal.

I like to tin the wires going into the screw terminals, but I will only do this if I have a chance to go back and tighten the terminal at least a couple of times over a few days to a week. I usually prepare an ebay well in advance of a flight, so it isn't a problem to do this. I notice that the terminal can always be tightened further a few hours to a day or so after it is initially inserted. After a few passes, though, there is no further change. It may not matter all that much, but I would never insert a tinned wire and then go fly.

Jim

As an interface wiring guy, I see both sides of the tinning issue. I have generally preferred to tin wire going into terminals, since it ensures that you have all the strands together, and it eases insertion. But, it does create a likely point of failure, in that you've created a more brittle section of previously very flexible wire. Manufacturers of such terminals, like Phoenix Contact, usually specify that you *do not* tin. The additional surface area argument is a good one, too. My follow-up suggestion is to make sure to provide strain relief on wires connected to terminal blocks on your sleds where possible - small cable clamps, or even small nylon cable ties around the wire and through holes in the sled. If the wire can't move near where it's inserted into a terminal, it's far less likely to break. Good wire management just makes everything more reliable, easier to troubleshoot, and looks nicer.

And John, thanks for another great contribution with this video!

Mark

Last edited:
Back