QCRS Launch 6-13-15 Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenex

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
1) Can someone attending the QCRS launch on 6-13 can lend me a CTI 54mm 5G case for one of my flight, of course if it is lost I will pay to replace it.
2) Does the club have any radio trackers for fliers to use? I have an eggfinder but have had some issues with it so a small radio tracker would be a nice insurance policy.
3) Are there any EX gurus attending? I am looking to start my EX learning and am hoping to find a mentor. Particularly I am interested in dual thrust / long burn research.
4) I have been to Midwest power, but not a QCRS monthly launch, what is the typical range of flyers and rockets?

Thanks in advance. See you all there!

4) I have been to Midwest power, but not a QCRS monthly launch, what is the typical range of flyers and rockets?

The range is everything from 1/2A to N motors. Generally H or higher happen in large percentages, but I fly a lot of low and mid power, too. QCRS just got a mini rail for mid power rockets that works great. If you need mini buttons, let me know. I've got a bunch to give out.
As for your other questions, someone else will have to field those.

Wow, with the number of QCRS members on this forum I'm surprised at the lack of response.

I'm a QCRS member, but I don't fly EX, and I don't have the money for 54mm cases (yet). Also am trackerless. So yeah, I suck :)

1) Can someone attending the QCRS launch on 6-13 can lend me a CTI 54mm 5G case for one of my flight, of course if it is lost I will pay to replace it.
2) Does the club have any radio trackers for fliers to use? I have an eggfinder but have had some issues with it so a small radio tracker would be a nice insurance policy.
3) Are there any EX gurus attending? I am looking to start my EX learning and am hoping to find a mentor. Particularly I am interested in dual thrust / long burn research.

Thanks in advance. See you all there!

Are you a member? I don't know if they allow guest flyers. I suspect all the launches are members only except MWP where an additional fee is required. Do they have a paid guest flyer plan?
On the other hand $30.00 a year is not so bad even if one can only attend a couple of launches. What's the problem with the EggFinder? Kurt

Right now I plan to be there.
I have a case you can use, closure also I presume.
I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.
See you in a couple of weeks.

I think their insurance requires you to be a member- that's what Griffin told me when I joined 2 months ago. I'll be there on 6/13, assuming the weather permits.

What's the problem with the EggFinder?

Out of the flights with it two had no GPS data. I sent it in and it was repaired, but for its first flight it might be nice to have a backup.

Right now I plan to be there.
I have a case you can use, closure also I presume.
I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.
See you in a couple of weeks.

I have a closure, I have the 3G case.

I also have a 5 or 6 grain case you can borrow, IF I can make it to the launch. I get OT for working on Saturday and extra cash comes before rockets. I didn't reply sooner as I didn't want to build up hope if I had to work. I don't know if I work on Saturday until the Friday beforehand.

Adrian

I also have a 5 or 6 grain case you can borrow, IF I can make it to the launch. I get OT for working on Saturday and extra cash comes before rockets. I didn't reply sooner as I didn't want to build up hope if I had to work. I don't know if I work on Saturday until the Friday beforehand.

Adrian

If you're there, and if I get my ducks in a row, I may be looking to borrow a 5 grain case myself... Lots of ifs, but should the stars align, we may see the DarkoStar go up on a K....

Last edited:
I will be there and I can bring my 5 grain case and a 6 grain case with a spacer. As always, the rules are the same. If you borrow it, I leave the launch with it, a replacement or cash to replace. The club has always allowed "guest fliers", but as mentioned earlier, the way our insurance is written, fliers need to be me members. You will need to pay the once a year membership of $30.00. This is for a full year of club launches (good till June2016) and yes, Midwest power has always been an additional cost. We support the landowners every year and this is where the funds come from. See you all there......someone remind me about the cases sometime before the launch!! LOL!!!

Thanks everyone I'm just trying to decide which of three reloads I want to fly. But I have two more questions:

If the launch rains out will there be a make up date?

One of my engines is simulating only 100 ft under the waiver, is it safe to fly this configuration?

I will be there and I can bring my 5 grain case and a 6 grain case with a spacer. As always, the rules are the same. If you borrow it, I leave the launch with it, a replacement or cash to replace, a GIANT bottle of Jagermeister, TWO tickets to a Chicago Blackhawks home game and, a *Backdoor Pass* to the Princeton Geisha House......someone remind me about the cases sometime before the launch!

:rolleyes: Oh yes, fun with editing! You will be reminded of the case thing again...;)

Thanks everyone I'm just trying to decide which of three reloads I want to fly. But I have two more questions:

If the launch rains out will there be a make up date?

One of my engines is simulating only 100 ft under the waiver, is it safe to fly this configuration?

Theres a couple of GOOD questions! :D How about a S-U-N-D-A-Y for a change? *cough* *cough* REALLY! :rant:
On the *Wah-v-air* thingy: Put THREE Twinkies in the Nosecone for weight, guaranteed NOT to go over 10,500'! :p

I just finished prepping both the Troika and the DarkoStar for their first DD flights. A bit of field prep and they'll be ready to fly. Hopefully I'll have time to fly both before I have to leave around noon-ish...

I just finished prepping both the Troika and the DarkoStar for their first DD flights. A bit of field prep and they'll be ready to fly. Hopefully I'll have time to fly both before I have to leave around noon-ish...

Erik,

i will give you a hand and help you get that done. The key is to fly at the same time as someone and go recover together. That's what Steve and I usually do and most of the time, the rockets land somewhat near each other. Gus, as far as the Sunday thing, as soon as I am off on Mondays, I will support your wish. Till then :p:p:p:p. Hey, this brings up new opportunities, Gus "QCRS President" all rocket launches ran just like monster truck shows "SUNDAY-SUNDAY-SUNDAY!!!"

How long is the longest 1515 rail they usually set up?

Erik,

Gus, as far as the Sunday thing, as soon as I am off on Mondays, I will support your wish. Till then :p:p:p:p. Hey, this brings up new opportunities, Gus "QCRS President" all rocket launches ran just like monster truck shows "SUNDAY-SUNDAY-SUNDAY!!!"

Well knowing me as some of you do...I would have to run under the "Plastic Duckie Manufactures/Laborer's Party ticket"....

I would propose Sunday ONLY launches (during the normal season) with several new exciting twists for Midwest Power! ;)

Some points for consideration are as follows:

1. MORE Drag Races! With only about 10 last year who can't get enough of the excitement! :D I'm thinking of starting an event i like to call "Rumble in the Corn Stubble...."

2. A roped off Root Beer garden open to all ages throughout the event. Carry outs allowed!

3. Mandatory range shutdown everyday at noon for 15 minutes for a "Twinkie Break".

4. A booth setup with meet and, greets/photo op's from the Chicago Bear and, or Chicago Blackhawk Cheerleaders!

5. Saturday night *before night launch event* Fireworks show courtesy of Madbomber Pyrotechnics Inc...A very LIMITED LIABILITY corporation based out of Illinois.

6. Saturday night *after night launch event* Concert featuring MIDWEST based bands like Mudvanye, Slipknot and, Polka Johnny and, the Polish Cowboys!

7. Possible inclusion of Corporate Sponsors like: Hostess, Pepsi-Co, Ducks Unlimited, Culvers...fine family dining and, of course Leinenkugel Brewing...

8. "October Air" Wet T-Shirt contest open to all participants...

Of course i would be receptive to paving the County road, tearing down the phone lines and, going underground with the wires, along with higher waivers and, MORE Sparkies!

But, i probably wouldn't stand a chance for Election....

You guys ARE doing a GREAT job and, i.....WE all appreciate your efforts more than you will ever know! :eek:

Last edited:
My dad in planning to fly a large low and slow which will need much more rail, 16' or so. Will we be able to set up his pad? This is it:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=751110
It sets up in about 30 min.

No problem, you can bring it and set it up. I would recommend getting there early enough as not to be in the way of launching rockets. I usually get there around 8-830 ish. If the weather is crap, I won't be there till 9 ish.

Well knowing me as some of you do...I would have to run under the "Plastic Duckie Manufactures/Laborer's Party ticket"....

I would propose Sunday ONLY launches (during the normal season) with several new exciting twists for Midwest Power! ;)

Some points for consideration are as follows:

1. MORE Drag Races! With only about 10 last year who can't get enough of the excitement! :D I'm thinking of starting an event i like to call "Rumble in the Corn Stubble...."

2. A roped off Root Beer garden open to all ages throughout the event. Carry outs allowed!

3. Mandatory range shutdown everyday at noon for 15 minutes for a "Twinkie Break".

4. A booth setup with meet and, greets/photo op's from the Chicago Bear and, or Chicago Blackhawk Cheerleaders!

5. Saturday night *before night launch event* Fireworks show courtesy of Madbomber Pyrotechnics Inc...A very LIMITED LIABILITY corporation based out of Illinois.

6. Saturday night *after night launch event* Concert featuring MIDWEST based bands like Mudvanye, Slipknot and, Polka Johnny and, the Polish Cowboys!

7. Possible inclusion of Corporate Sponsors like: Hostess, Pepsi-Co, Ducks Unlimited, Culvers...fine family dining and, of course Leinenkugel Brewing...

8. "October Air" Wet T-Shirt contest open to all participants.

Gus,
Would #8 be open for Red Heads to participate ?

Tim & Jason,

I assume all skids no matter what size will be fling off the far pads in the grass correct?

Mike

Tim & Jason,

I assume all skids no matter what size will be fling off the far pads in the grass correct?

Mike

Mike, that is the plan. The field conditions will be the final determination as for what we decide. We are not going to have a repeat of last month. With the rain that we have had, I don't think we are going to have any issues.

Mike, that is the plan. The field conditions will be the final determination as for what we decide. We are not going to have a repeat of last month. With the rain that we have had, I don't think we are going to have any issues.

Thanks Jason, just checking before Jenny starts prepping her Extreme Eagle Claw w/ a M1770 skid.

Back