Aeronaut 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Who's going to be at Aeronaut 2015??? And more importantly, what are you bringing?
If the stars align just right Manny and I will have an N3500ishhhhh flying case, then I've got my L3 (unsure on the motor), then maybe some L minimum diameter something or another. Also a bunch of smaller stuff. It'll be a good time.
Last year was great. Check out the video.
[video=youtube;jXfAdZ4lTsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXfAdZ4lTsQ[/video]
Only 2 months out! See you on the playa.

Alex

I'm not 100% sure on everything. I just started designing yesterday :p. Composite fincan with high modulus CF cores, phenolic leading edges and ablative. FWFG conical NC. Attached to case with conical coupler. Raven and SL for altims with RF tracking.

Im not sure on the motor details, I guess Manny will have to answer them. I know its a TruCore 98 6xl. About 17,000 ns.

Also, just mixed up a 54/2800 L1800 TW this morning, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Anyone have a 54MD? Maybe I'll just fly mine from last year again.
IMG_1470.jpg

Alex

I'll be there with whatever rockets are ready by that time. (My progress rate has been very slow since work has been busy.)

Nice video, Alex! I will be there and am looking forward to it. Planning 2 trips to Black Rock this year (Aeronaut and BALLS). Will probably bring at least the following, most of which is still in the design phase...

54mm MD on a 54/2800
75mm MD on a 75/7600
5"/98mm scratch built rocket on an N-something.

I will be there. I plan to fly Angelfire on an M1939 with Kate onboard.
See you out there, Vern!

Don't forget to apply (30 days a head of time) for AeroPac approval if your flight is 35K or higher https://www.aeropac.org/25k+Projects/25k_flight_Request_form.html

If your rocket is going 50K or better you'll need TRA Class 3 approval also.

Tony Alcocer
AeroPac
Tony, does one need any special approval as long as you're staying under 35K AGL? Also, what's the rule on away cells? I am bringing my own pad and would like to know where to set it up - the biggest motor it will house will likely be an N, as mentioned above. I have my own launch controller as well, if need be.

Anyone bringing a 4 fin tower I can use for a 3 inch minimum diameter flight? I'm flying from Maryland and the logistics of bringing a rocket are a big enough pain.

Anyone bringing a 4 fin tower I can use for a 3 inch minimum diameter flight? I'm flying from Maryland and the logistics of bringing a rocket are a big enough pain.

I'll have one you can use.

Tony, does one need any special approval as long as you're staying under 35K AGL? Also, what's the rule on away cells? I am bringing my own pad and would like to know where to set it up - the biggest motor it will house will likely be an N, as mentioned above. I have my own launch controller as well, if need be.

Nothing needed if under 35K. Not sure what you mean in the way of away cell rules. You can use your own pad and launcher. For a simple N project both commercial and research distance is 1000 foot. Bring a family radio to communicate with the LCO.

Tony

If the stars align just right Manny and I will have an N3500ishhhhh flying case
Alex

Motor is for a 98/17.5k case, 7210 propellant, should be around 16.5-17k Ns. I have already made one of these and should be test flying it in a couple weeks, hopefully I don't blow up my case before Aeronaut, haha.

Also, I'm working on the design for my rocket which will be an upscale of last year's rocket. This time it will be a 5" rocket housing a 66" case, 38k Ns O7000. I have already sent design files for the nozzle and bulkhead off to a couple local machine shops for quotes. Rocket isn't exactly going to be optimized, should top out around mid-40's for altitude.

Nothing needed if under 35K. Not sure what you mean in the way of away cell rules. You can use your own pad and launcher. For a simple N project both commercial and research distance is 1000 foot. Bring a family radio to communicate with the LCO.

Tony
By away cell rules I mean are there any restrictions on setting up pads outside of the normal range, as long as you can communicate with the LCO? Can one set up a pad at the 500' line so as to still be able to use the house launch controller?

By away cell rules I mean are there any restrictions on setting up pads outside of the normal range, as long as you can communicate with the LCO? Can one set up a pad at the 500' line so as to still be able to use the house launch controller?

Yes, there are rules for setting up pads outside the normal range. We want all the pads yours, ours and anyone else pads to all be in the same area. You can set your pad and use the clubs launch controller. We do have a wireless system that we have been using on things over 1000 foot out. Some of the bigger 2 stage projects with Research motors will be out at 2500 foot.

Tony

Is anyone from the Seattle/Tacoma area making the trip down to Aeronaut? If so, I need a favor, send me a PM.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433994204.448225.jpg
And I just started building... Shame on me! I had last years project built by this time.

Alex

I will be there, I am debating if I should fly some small H and I motors.

This will be my first trip to Black Rock any tips? I especially want to know how people charge batteries over the few days there?

And I just started building... Shame on me! I had last years project built by this time.

Alex
I know the feeling, Alex!

This will be my first trip to Black Rock any tips? I especially want to know how people charge batteries over the few days there?
Bring lots of water, wear sunblock and a hat, hope for low winds, and be prepared to handle any auto-mechanical difficulties you may have... The BALLS website has some good tips, as well:
https://www.rimworld.com/balls24/road.html
https://www.rimworld.com/balls24/serious.html

Regarding batteries, some folks bring generators/solar panels. I use a DC/AC inverter.

Now that Bluefin Tuba 4 has flown, I'm loooking to see if schedule and budget allow an N flight at at AeroNaut.

Ari.

IMG_6978cr.jpg

I have a nice big 12v lead acid and a charger that can refill my lipo batteries from that. My power needs are quite modest, though.

It looks like some awesome flights are planned --- mostly L and above, it seems. And it also looks like some very high altitude attempts too. I might be tempted to come out and see some of these awesome flights, but these are not the kinds of flights I personally do. What is the event like in terms of less experienced fliers? If I wanted to fly a Warlock on an I motor to under 2,000 feet, is that going to be appropriate, or is the event focused on higher power and higher altitude?

It looks like some awesome flights are planned --- mostly L and above, it seems. And it also looks like some very high altitude attempts too. I might be tempted to come out and see some of these awesome flights, but these are not the kinds of flights I personally do. What is the event like in terms of less experienced fliers? If I wanted to fly a Warlock on an I motor to under 2,000 feet, is that going to be appropriate, or is the event focused on higher power and higher altitude?

Hey Thirsty,

When we were out there last year, most of the flights were similar to the one you are planning. The event was slow paced and very laid back, I nice chance to be able to focus more on every flight. Come out and fly your Warlock, I'd love to finally be able to meet the man, the myth, the legend that is ThirsyBarbarian.

Black Rock is a long drive for most people. It is also a place where you can fly really big motors. Many people feel that it's not worth their trouble to drive all the way out there unless they have a big flight. If you're willing to make the drive, it's an enjoyable event, and--as others are saying--slow paced and laid back. A lot of the same people who fly larger rockets at Snow Ranch show up, so you get to visit with people you already like. It's a very social event. You can think of it as Snow Ranch without the Estes rockets and with some larger ones.

Now BALLS is a very different setup. People come from all over the country to fly their big projects. They and their three friends have been working on them in Wisconsin for the last two years, they are trying to finish the build right there in the desert and aren't looking to connect with new people. There are a lot of faces you haven't met, and many of them want to avoid outsider scrutiny of their project. It's a much more solitary experience.

I expect you'll enjoy AeroNaut.

Ari.

Hey Thirsty,

When we were out there last year, most of the flights were similar to the one you are planning. The event was slow paced and very laid back, I nice chance to be able to focus more on every flight. Come out and fly your Warlock, I'd love to finally be able to meet the man, the myth, the legend that is ThirsyBarbarian.

Thanks!

I'm considering it. Black Rock looks like another planet, and I'm thinking I might need to get one of those Hab Modules used for simulating a trip to Mars, plus maybe an air-conditioned spacesuit. Unfortunately, it's more likely I'd be in a dome tent or the back of a 4Runner.

It sounds like a lot of fun, but kind of a challenging environment. I'll have to think about it.

Black Rock is a long drive for most people. It is also a place where you can fly really big motors. Many people feel that it's not worth their trouble to drive all the way out there unless they have a big flight. If you're willing to make the drive, it's an enjoyable event, and--as others are saying--slow paced and laid back. A lot of the same people who fly larger rockets at Snow Ranch show up, so you get to visit with people you already like. It's a very social event. You can think of it as Snow Ranch without the Estes rockets and with some larger ones.

Now BALLS is a very different setup. People come from all over the country to fly their big projects. They and their three friends have been working on them in Wisconsin for the last two years, they are trying to finish the build right there in the desert and aren't looking to connect with new people. There are a lot of faces you haven't met, and many of them want to avoid outsider scrutiny of their project. It's a much more solitary experience.

I expect you'll enjoy AeroNaut.

Ari.

Thanks, Ari. I think I had heard about the more serious and focused vibe at BALLS, and that had colored my idea of what Black Rock launches are like in general. This sounds like a fun time.

Come on out TB! I'll save you a spot. I can remember kids flying Estes rockets and guys flying Minnie Maggs on H and I motors in the past. It's been 14-15 years since I've gone, but I don't think they'll turn you away. WTH, buy yourself a J motor and come cert L2 if you want yo fit in a little better. "One of us, one of us..."

I wonder if there will be a launch report from Mudrock with the # of flights sorted by impulse released before Aeronaut. You could always look at last year's reports.

Come on out TB! I'll save you a spot. I can remember kids flying Estes rockets and guys flying Minnie Maggs on H and I motors in the past. It's been 14-15 years since I've gone, but I don't think they'll turn you away. WTH, buy yourself a J motor and come cert L2 if you want yo fit in a little better. "One of us, one of us..."

I wonder if there will be a launch report from Mudrock with the # of flights sorted by impulse released before Aeronaut. You could always look at last year's reports.

Lol! "One of us, one of us..."

I actually already have that J290 for my L2 cert flight. I had been planning to fly it at Dairy Aire.

Hmmmmm...

Mudrock 2014:
A 0
B 8
C 11
D 5
E 21
F 5
G 18
H 15
I 15
J 28