Aeronaut 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mudrock 2014:
A 0
B 8
C 11
D 5
E 21
F 5
G 18
H 15
I 15
J 28
K 24
L 4
M 8
N 2
Total 164

Aeronaut 2014:
A 7
B
C 19
D 7
E 2
F 6
G 11
H 10
I 8
J 6
K 7
L 3
L 10
M 6

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'd be in good company with the L1 motors. And the wide-open playa looks like a great environment for trying an L2 cert. I'll think about it. And I'll start working on recipes for some Gatorade-based cocktails for desert survival.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'd be in good company with the L1 motors. And the wide-open playa looks like a great environment for trying an L2 cert. I'll think about it. And I'll start working on recipes for some Gatorade-based cocktails for desert survival.

I will be out there and may fly a L1 motor or three. I am worried about camping out there more than flying ;)

Thanks!

I'm considering it. Black Rock looks like another planet, and I'm thinking I might need to get one of those Hab Modules used for simulating a trip to Mars, plus maybe an air-conditioned spacesuit. Unfortunately, it's more likely I'd be in a dome tent or the back of a 4Runner.

It sounds like a lot of fun, but kind of a challenging environment. I'll have to think about it.

I am worried about camping out there more than flying ;)

I don't know about you guys, but I am young, dumb and like to live life on the rough side, so the desert conditions don't bother me much. One piece of advice I can give you from someone who has been there a couple times: it may be really over priced, but get a room at Bruno's, being able to take a cold shower at the end of the day and a place to get some grub next door is worth the price of the room alone.

I don't know about you guys, but I am young, dumb and like to live life on the rough side, so the desert conditions don't bother me much. One piece of advice I can give you from someone who has been there a couple times: it may be really over priced, but get a room at Bruno's, being able to take a cold shower at the end of the day and a place to get some grub next door is worth the price of the room alone.

I also am young, dumb and stupid. However, I am a poor married college student and trying to save money for a house. I am also using it as an opportunity to test some camping equipment.

If the conditions are terrible I may change plans.

Last edited:

I am not averse to roughing it, and I have decent camping equipment and experience. I'm just wondering how much I would enjoy myself if the heat were EXTREME.

It looks like some awesome flights are planned --- mostly L and above, it seems. And it also looks like some very high altitude attempts too. I might be tempted to come out and see some of these awesome flights, but these are not the kinds of flights I personally do. What is the event like in terms of less experienced fliers? If I wanted to fly a Warlock on an I motor to under 2,000 feet, is that going to be appropriate, or is the event focused on higher power and higher altitude?

In addition to what the other guys said, Black Rock is worth it just for the experience. You don't know "middle of nowhere" until you've been to Black Rock, which will be a good or bad thing depending on how well prepared you are. Stars at night are unbeatable too. It's such a cool area that manny and I were talking about driving down a day early and just exploring.

The heat's not too bad honestly. Yeah, it'll be 110° but it's the driest heat you can imagine and you spend most of the day in the shade.

Also, I hope you live up to the last part of your username more then the first part. Remember water! Hope to see you out there.

Alex

Dry heat my left cheek. There's a reason some of us call it "AeroHOT." Cuz it is. :eyepop:

Black Rock is an absolutely amazing, beautiful, and unique place. But it is an unforgiving desert. Do not challenge it, cuz you'll lose. Don't go out there unprepared.

The sign at Empire says "Welcome to Nowhere." And they're not kidding. If your idea of "roughing it" means no HBO, you're probably better off getting a room at Brunos.

But once you experience Black Rock, you will understand. :D

I will be there sending a 5inch up on an N1691W... more commonly known as da M1939 white lightnin' . Hey Vern, wanna drag race? haha just kidding.

Also going to push Senza extra hard on a Rx L1460. Should go mach 3 or so. Not sure if the super short configuration is stable to that speed (the sims said the other mach 3 flights were unstable but they worked...) but even if it spins out, the fins will probably be fine. Not much risk so Im gonna go for it!

I will bring a couple more rockets out but I dont have motors for them. Perhaps some 54 and 75mm Ex will pop up unwanted.

Thirsty, youre hilarious lad. You gotta come out and kick it with us!

*edit - Just ordered an M1315 to send a GoPro to about 17K, and a couple J and K motors for some laid back fun. I do love me some scratch built success :) MAN im excited for Aeronaut.

Last edited:
I am in for sure!

Who else will be driving from the bay area? Any ability to car pool or share a van rental? I also am not yet sure about accommodations.

The epoxy is drying on the fins of my L3 bird now. It should fly, low altitude test on a nice K.

I will bring plenty of others for fun but none as notable.

My shipping case went to UPS on Tuesday, and left Baltimore Wednesday. *Should be in Oakland Monday. 108 pounds of case, rockets, and camping gear.

A few motors I'm trying to use up: an ancient Aerotech 38mm H45 SU, an ancient US Rockets 29mm H300, an old 29mm SU I70, and some Sparky stuff.

Bringing the 29mm min diam 2-stage Double H-Bomb, the 38mm min diam Mohawk, Ariel (night), Io (night), and the brand new 24mm min diam Blackhawk CF, to (eventually) fly on a Cesaroni G107. I'll be busy.

OK, I painted the Iris this weekend and applied the decals today. See you on the playa!

irisdonestacked.jpg

Very cool John. The aluminum parts--did you mill them on your shopbot, or on a dedicated metalworking mill?

Ari.

I am. It's been a long time since I've been there and I'm doing a bunch of firsts:

First launch as a "vendor" even though I'm just bringing display items and not selling anything on site.
First launch using any sort of tracking (Telemetrum).
First launch expecting over 10k' (my 54mm minimum diameter on a L265 sims between 27k and 32k).
First time using the tower I designed.

Why would I be nervous? :p

I am. It's been a long time since I've been there and I'm doing a bunch of firsts:

First launch as a "vendor" even though I'm just bringing display items and not selling anything on site.
First launch using any sort of tracking (Telemetrum).
First launch expecting over 10k' (my 54mm minimum diameter on a L265 sims between 27k and 32k).
First time using the tower I designed.

Why would I be nervous? :p

Well I am glad to see I am not alone. This is my first time to Black Rock and I will be camping on the Playa which will be interesting.

I am excited to take a look at your tower, I have been following your thread and I am interested. If you need help with anything look for me, my stuff will be set up near a 2008 Nissan Sentra.

-Kyle

I'm currently driving across the Texas pan handle (I have been driving since 10pm yesterday with only one stop in OKC) should be sleeping in a soft Bruno's bed tomorrow night.

Great pics Chris, and thanks again for letting us use your tower.

I managed to get a couple pad videos of the flights I helped out with.
[video=youtube;QN6Ss1ADVGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6Ss1ADVGE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back