Hey Estes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
...give us a BT-60 Crossfire upscale!!!

Just wanted to throw this out there.

Yes, I just built one, there's a thread on it but it really would be nice to have a kit. I keep loosing the little ones. :)

I'd have seconded the motion, but Joe beat me to it.

I've personally got a BT-50, 55, and 60 versions in the works.

While they're at it... A EAC Viper upscale could be fun too.

Personally, I want a BT-70 sized one. I've already modeled it in Rocksim, its on my list once I have a suitable set of cones made. Someone recently said that BT-70 was a nice-sized, but overlooked, tube. I agree and think there should be more kits in that size. Along those lines - and those of K'Tesh's comment - I also think a BT-70 upscale of an EAC Firecat would be kick-ass. That has the same status for me as the Crossfire-70. And a BT-70 Ninja (not Blue Ninja, mind you).

Last edited:
While were talking about what Estes can build next....

I've built the three Der Red Max rockets, but the jump in size between the Der Red Max and the Mega Der Red Max is quite large. I'm building a BT-80 version of the rocket, the Med Der Red Max. It's not a "True to Scale" upsize but for my purposes it's close enough for government work. :)

Attached is the open rocket file.
Thanks
Joe

View attachment BT-80 Der Med Red Max upscale.ork

FWIW, I saw on eRocket's website today that Semroc has a BT80-upscale of the 60AH cone used by the Max. If you wanted a proper upscale cone and are OK with balsa, its now an option.

Personally, I want a BT-70 sized one. I've already modeled it in Rocksim, its on my list once I have a suitable set of cones made. Someone recently said that BT-70 was a nice-sized, but overlooked, tube. I agree and think there should be more kits in that size. Along those lines - and those of K'Tesh's comment - I also think a BT-70 upscale of an EAC Firecat would be kick-ass. That has the same status for me as the Crossfire-70. And a BT-70 Ninja (not Blue Ninja, mind you).

Oh hells yes. I had an original Ninja back in the day. It was bad ass. Sign me up for a PSII version.

An upscale Ninja would be nice!

FWIW, I saw on eRocket's website today that Semroc has a BT80-upscale of the 60AH cone used by the Max. If you wanted a proper upscale cone and are OK with balsa, its now an option.

I've already purchased a plastic nose cone from Apogee, but next time I'm in Dayton and I stop into ERockets and I'll pick one up and swap it out.

Thanks for the heads up.
Joe

Personal opinion - upscale's of most Estes rockets should be BT-80 based.

Holy Thread Hijack!!!:facepalm:

OP, I agree. The Crossfire should be available in a variety of sizes, up to and including BT-80 Scale.

Why not a PSII scale? My only real issue with Estes' PSII line is parts. Almost every single spare is available except the centering rings. We could upscale the crap out of rockets if they gave us those.

Why not a PSII scale? My only real issue with Estes' PSII line is parts. Almost every single spare is available except the centering rings. We could upscale the crap out of rockets if they gave us those.

A drill press, fly cutter, and lite ply can fix that.

I think it's obvious that they really just need to offer all kits in all sizes. How hard could it be?

You'd need a greater variety of nose cones for Estes 2", 2.5", 3", and 4" tubes as well.

Does any other vendor sell centering rings that work with PSII tubes?

I've been unable to locate any centering rings that match the PSII body tubes.

I lack the tools to manufacture my own. For now at least. Plus, I don't have micro-caliper. I haven't found any exact specifics on the PSII IDs yet. The ODs seem to be exact as far as I can tell though.

Does any other vendor sell centering rings that work with PSII tubes?

Yes.

Quest offers centering rings that work in the PSII 2" diameter body tubes.

Part #s CR4924 and CR4929.

I used the CR4929 rings to make a longer stuffer tube for my Estes Mammoth kit.

4"? Is that for the max? I have the 4 original kits. I don't have the scion, max or Nike yet.

Anyone else say the Nike fins are wrong?

Mega Max is 4". I'd assumed it was BT101 tube - I haven't actually opened mine yet though. I have both BT101 and LOC 3.9 tubing, so I can compare it to both to see which size it was.

I'm not sure what would be off with the Nike Smoke fins, they look OK to me. I haven't actually compared them to scale drawings, but others have commented that Estes got the scale details right. I've finished mine, but haven't flown it yet. I didn't have a suitable motor on hand when I was at the last launch...

WP_003146.jpg

Ok the fins in your pic look right. The fins on their site look wrong.

I don't know what to tell you there, they look the same to me - or at least the same as much as the different angle allows...

On the site, the trailing edge looks square like the booster fins.

A drill press, fly cutter, and lite ply can fix that.

Just make sure and get the flycutter by General tools that uses a single cutter, its easily sharpened with 600grit wet dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass or even tablesaw top, it also does a better job of cutting and is easier to adjust than the Harbor Fright version that has two cutters and lots of slop. I think i paid like $3 more for my General Tools one than the HF. Planning on buying another 3 or 4 General tools ones and setting them up for 38mm, 75mm, and 98mm, maybe even 63mm. I only use the flycutter to cut the inner diameter on CRs, I use a scrollsaw with circle jig to cut the outer diameter and then a disk sander to final shape the OD.

Last edited:
Yes.

Quest offers centering rings that work in the PSII 2" diameter body tubes.

Part #s CR4924 and CR4929.

I used the CR4929 rings to make a longer stuffer tube for my Estes Mammoth kit.

BMS has rings and such for the 3" tubes.

My understanding is that the 4" tubes are the same as the industry standard, e.g., LOC tubes.

Thanks guys. That's good to know.

Oh hells yes. I had an original Ninja back in the day. It was bad ass. Sign me up for a PSII version.

I have an LOC/Precision-size Ninja. It started life packaged as a Lil Nuke, but I'd already done that.

164.jpg

Latest posts

Back